Workshop Jumper Ideas For 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to Cal Thomey on The Exchange the other day and he made a point about the current Gold Coast jumper that I wholeheartedly agree with - it looks like a training kit!

I've said this since Day 1 - It's going to be difficult for fans and players to truly embrace their jumper design. I get the gold stripes down the side of the red jumper as a nod to surf lifesaving. In fact, I love that the club opted for the warm red and bright yellow; it's a great colour scheme to own, just drop the sky blue as there is no need for it.

What I love about Aussie Rules footy jumpers is the simple yet striking colours and design elements; vertical or horizontal stripes, sashes and all sorts of yokes and v-shapes. It's unique to our sport and should be celebrated. But there tends to be this notion that younger generations expect new design approaches and that has led to some god-awful outcomes. At least we have the pleasure of seeing the indigenous designs each year, an opportunity to cater for more complex design outcomes which look fantastic.

This said, I feel that things have taken a turn for the good recently where clubs have embraced a simple yet memorable design scheme. Love the Port Adelaide and Fremantle jumper changes. Thank goodness the Eagles went back to their original jumper design and embraced the royal blue and gold instead of the dog's breakfast jumpers of the Noughties. I don't mind what the Giants are doing - this is one example of good modern design. Even the Tigers took the brave but smart decision to go for the yellow and black sash clash jumper. The Hawks opted for a heritage yet simple and striking V design for their clash. It's all looking good now.

Except for the Suns. So I have put together a standard and clash design that I think can be embraced by the players and fans and the competition in general. This is a jumper that you want to go out and represent. And I think this is now the time to adopt it. 10 years now since they joined and this is time for a new era.

The elements represent a bright sunrise on the horizon. Always looking forward to the next success.

Attachments

• Gold Coast Strip.png
    Gold Coast Strip.png
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 433
Listening to Cal Thomey on The Exchange the other day and he made a point about the current Gold Coast jumper that I wholeheartedly agree with - it looks like a training kit!

I've said this since Day 1 - It's going to be difficult for fans and players to truly embrace their jumper design. I get the gold stripes down the side of the red jumper as a nod to surf lifesaving. In fact, I love that the club opted for the warm red and bright yellow; it's a great colour scheme to own, just drop the sky blue as there is no need for it.

What I love about Aussie Rules footy jumpers is the simple yet striking colours and design elements; vertical or horizontal stripes, sashes and all sorts of yokes and v-shapes. It's unique to our sport and should be celebrated. But there tends to be this notion that younger generations expect new design approaches and that has led to some god-awful outcomes. At least we have the pleasure of seeing the indigenous designs each year, an opportunity to cater for more complex design outcomes which look fantastic.

This said, I feel that things have taken a turn for the good recently where clubs have embraced a simple yet memorable design scheme. Love the Port Adelaide and Fremantle jumper changes. Thank goodness the Eagles went back to their original jumper design and embraced the royal blue and gold instead of the dog's breakfast jumpers of the Noughties. I don't mind what the Giants are doing - this is one example of good modern design. Even the Tigers took the brave but smart decision to go for the yellow and black sash clash jumper. The Hawks opted for a heritage yet simple and striking V design for their clash. It's all looking good now.

Except for the Suns. So I have put together a standard and clash design that I think can be embraced by the players and fans and the competition in general. This is a jumper that you want to go out and represent. And I think this is now the time to adopt it. 10 years now since they joined and this is time for a new era.

The elements represent a bright sunrise on the horizon. Always looking forward to the next success.
I feel like the Suns need to embrace a sun shape properly, or do a classic-style football kit and adapt it to a modern style (for example; modernising a lifesaver-style design three vertical stripes). Vs (although they look great) are now being used by the Hawks, Lions, Power, Swans and Freo, so a unique design that isn't a V would probably be more preferred.

Still baffled as to why Puma made a white clash jumper for North this season? Our VFL team actually has the White on Blue inverse guernsey as an option.

Gold coast's Anzac day jumper looks better than their normal one, the gc logo doesn't stand out as awkwardly.

Seeing our clash guernsey yesterday for the first time mid-game once again reminded me that I do in fact still hate it.

Hoping that for 2023 we go back to the baby blue...

product-shot__28894.1644469167.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 12.27.33 pm.png

It's the Saints' 150th anniversary next year. We saw this in 2013 against Carlton for the 140th, can't see why we shouldn't see it next year. Could also be the time the saints take note from SFgiant and update their logo accordingly, as featured on the guernsey.

150-Guernsey.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking inspiration from Freo's idea of using subtle indigenous art in the clash guernsey. I didn't want to insult anyone by creating my own design since i'm not indigenous so I used the artwork from the 2016 indigenous guernsey.

geelong-clash.png

i have next to no photoshop skills but it be cool if Gold Coast just used a Southport style jumper. Could add yellow side panels and a monogram in the V or logo above the sponsor

i have next to no photoshop skills but it be cool if Gold Coast just used a Southport style jumper. Could add yellow side panels and a monogram in the V or logo above the sponsor
Lots of free programs out there mate, could always just do it in Paint :) (also sounds very similar to the gold Lions clash but recoloured)

Finally found a website that kinda let me do what I wanted
I think Gold Coast would suit this being a more traditional design and almost a direct rip off of Southport
the yellow and red inverse is hard on the eyes so made a blue and yellow as well
View attachment 1397900View attachment 1397901View attachment 1397902
I like the concept, but feel they should either go all out on a new concept that is unique (e.g. the original Giants kit) or they should use a more traditional but not used design (i.e. proper pinstripes, or maybe even a half colour design). Vs are currently used in the league by the Lions, Hawks, Swans and Port, and given there is no tradition behind that choice, it would be an odd one. Also Southport lost out on a bid to the Suns, it might be a bit mean!

I like the concept, but feel they should either go all out on a new concept that is unique (e.g. the original Giants kit) or they should use a more traditional but not used design (i.e. proper pinstripes, or maybe even a half colour design). Vs are currently used in the league by the Lions, Hawks, Swans and Port, and given there is no tradition behind that choice, it would be an odd one. Also Southport lost out on a bid to the Suns, it might be a bit mean!
They had one 😭
images.jpeg-14.jpg

Although I think there's already enough V-shaped designs in the league, if they were going to do a Southport style jumper, this could work.

suns.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back