Remove this Banner Ad

"This has gone too far!" - Mitch McConnell

Horrified Republican senators propose to introduce legislation next week, banning all schools, after Texas Senator Cruz, Texas Governor Abbott and Pres Trump return from being guest speakers at the National Rifle Association conference.

The 2nd Amendment right to open-carry fire arms will not include the conference. A spokesman remarked, off the record: “Are you serious man? Do you know how many RWNJs attend these events!”

What an absolute campaigner of a country. Clueless. It’ll die down. Until the next time. Completely ducked up that joint.

It's hard not to be totally repulsed. On the car radio a few minutes ago I heard statistics of 27 school shootings this year and we're only in May. I thought I must have misheard but I checked, it's right.

Armed officers are not a deterrent - in fact according to the below study it could be the opposite - so armed teachers could make things worse according to this study.

It's hard not to be totally repulsed. On the car radio a few minutes ago I heard statistics of 27 school shootings this year and we're only in May. I thought I must have misheard but I checked, it's right.

Thats without considering those who shot up shops, theatres, sporting events etc. and the gang violence.

Such a backwards place.

To demonstrate how utterly hopeless it is, this man Andrew Pollack lost his daughter Meadow in a Florida school shooting. She was shot six times with an assault rifle.

My comment was a sarcastic response to Sandy Hook - or one of many others - where the solution seems to be '' arm the teachers'' forgetting the teachers just want to teach

One of the things I miss hearing is how someone armed in America using open carry laws - has never ever stopped a shooting early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My comment was a sarcastic response to Sandy Hook - or one of many others - where the solution seems to be '' arm the teachers'' forgetting the teachers just want to teach

Yes, I understood that and that the response to these school shootings always seems to be more guns even when the answer is staring everybody in the face - less guns and strict gun laws.

One of the things I miss hearing is how someone armed in America using open carry laws - has never ever stopped a shooting early

You're right I think, I've never heard of one.

More time and effort also needs to be spent trying to work on the root cause of many of these shootings including Columbine IE bullying
Yes, IIRC most are down to bullying.
A young student in Perth WA last week threatened class mates with a knife - but investigations have shown he was constantly being bullied ( a girl took his phone this time??) and felt it was his only protection as no one was listening - even in a class environment where this took place !!

To demonstrate how utterly hopeless it is, this man Andrew Pollack lost his daughter Meadow in a Florida school shooting. She was shot six times with an assault rifle.

The single point of entry is becoming a vital suggestion, knowing that guns aren't going away anytime soon.

A waiting period won't stop these attacks.

You can talk all you like about responsible gun ownership but the perpetrators of these crimes are not the responsible gun owners. Background checks are all very well but the nutters only reveal themselves as they are committing the act. Easy access and availability are the key factors. Military assault rifles are necessary for hunting? Poor bloody deer have as much chance as those school kids. And they call hunting a sport. No skill required.

Many of my Amerian friends desperately want to keep their guns due to the high level of criminality and that those criminals all have guns. Many people also love guns and love shooting. Also, the country is still strongly divided even so long after the civil war. Many people in, LA, Oregon or NY, for example, don't empathise strongly with victims in Texas or Louisiana beyond general humanity. They don't see it as an American problem, like I might see massacres in SA and NSW as an Australian problem - many Americans tend to see it as a Texas (in this case) problem.

Many of my Amerian friends desperately want to keep their guns due to the high level of criminality and that those criminals all have guns. Many people also love guns and love shooting. Also, the country is still strongly divided even so long after the civil war. Many people in, LA, Oregon or NY, for example, don't empathise strongly with victims in Texas or Louisiana beyond general humanity. They don't see it as an American problem, like I might see massacres in SA and NSW as an Australian problem - many Americans tend to see it as a Texas (in this case) problem.
Sadly, a large proportion (I’ve read a statistic somewhere) of guns bought for “protection” are used in suicides and accidents. There are requirements that guns kept in a home for protection must be kept under lock and key. Someone breaks into your house - it’s very likely you won’t get the opportunity to access your gun before you are attacked.

At least if only the criminals have guns there’s a high chance they’ll use them on each other 🙂.

Sadly, a large proportion (I’ve read a statistic somewhere) of guns bought for “protection” are used in suicides and accidents.

Yes, but many Americans (at least the ones I know) value individual liberty very highly, for better and for worse. So they don't want public health and they don't want gun guntrol, as they don't want to pay for it, they don't want government interfering, and feel at everybody should look after themselves. And because of that lack of conncetion to an empathy for other Amerciasn who don't share the value of liberty and 2nd amendment, those that hold these values don't care about those that don't.

Yes, but many Americans (at least the ones I know) value individual liberty very highly, for better and for worse. So they don't want public health and they don't want gun guntrol, as they don't want to pay for it, they don't want government interfering, and feel at everybody should look after themselves. And because of that lack of conncetion to an empathy for other Amerciasn who don't share the value of liberty and 2nd amendment, those that hold these values don't care about those that don't.
The country is beyond help :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back