Autopsy 6 point win over Richmond(wtf)

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't see COR's game as good. I thought he made some dumb decisions to release the ball when he should have taken tackles and just didn't like his positioning most of the night. Although reading through some posts it seems I am on my own

Hate that we still revert to "just bomb it high" as a strategy.

Might have worked when we had Tippett marking everything under the sun but defensive units are so well drilled in repelling the high ball that it's pointless

Funnily enough it was half way through the third quarter we stopped doing that and look what happens

Hate that we still revert to "just bomb it high" as a strategy.

Might have worked when we had Tippett marking everything under the sun but defensive units are so well drilled in repelling the high ball that it's pointless

Funnily enough it was half way through the third quarter we stopped doing that and look what happens
We stopped doing it when we started to go wide with some speed moving the ball, meant we were running into 50 with more options on the move

Inconsistency is our only consistency.

Ladhams, Warner, Rowbottom & Lloyd had great games. All of them impressed me & imo had their best games of the season.

Reid/Franklin/Mcdonald in our forward line does not work. IMO Parker/Heeney can play as that 3rd tall while providing tackle pressure inside our forward 50.

We need to improve our tackling pressure. Tigers had 16 more tackles and 15 more tackles inside 50.

First Crack said we've won 4 of our last 11 starts - and two of those against Eagles & Norf.

Until we fix it - we're just making up the numbers.

We didn't win the first quarter against North did we?

Good game, felt similar to last week where some very average umpiring halted any momentum we were trying to build in the second quarter. This time though we fought back and got over the line second half which was pleasing to see. A few players are offering very little at the moment though and the worry is there doesn't seem to be the depth to push them for their positions. Reid, Wicks, Lloyd in particular really need to step up their output.

Reid, Wicks, Lloyd in particular really need to step up their output.
Thought all three of these players were a big part of the comeback personally. Wicks really triggered me in that first half but he made up for it a bit I rkn. Thought Lloyd and Reid stepped up tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as he has kicked it does it look like anyone in the surrounding space heard a free, rowbottom, seven crew etc, and this is after he already kicked thinking siren and full time whistle went on an epic finish, so game over he thinks, all he is doing is celebrating
I know.
But you know, Rampe's goal post, this.
It goes from winning fair & square to winning square & it would have been nice just to have come back & beaten them leaving them speechless.
That's all

I was actually more impressed with the manner in which we won than the actual win itself. A single-digit win over a side I think is about 6th-9th isn't a lot to write home about, but coming down from 30+ against such a side that, make no mistake about it, was flying. That was possibly the best Richmond had played all year. Their pressure was at 2017-2020 levels, they were hard and skilful and composed, and they were deadly accurate in front of goals.

To wrestle the momentum and seize the lead was enormous. It's the kind of heart and soul victory that can carry us forward in ways that a routine "skill, game plan, talent" win can't always do.

Some massive individual performances worthy of mention:

- Ladhams. Talk about making a statement. I didn't exactly see Gawn-like ruck craft but I saw a big fella giving his absolute all in incredibly trying circumstances and arguably coming out on top. Skill execution leaves a bit to be desired and if he can leave the clearances to the ground level players, he could really be something for us.

- Lloyd. Was he our best leader on the field? Probably hard to go past Buddy, but in terms of senior players playing with hardness, confidence, authority, leading by example, Lloyd was just so impressive. Where has any of this been from him all year?

- T. McCartin. Loved the desperation he played with. Tends to be something that I think big strong athletic key defenders don't always have. They're so used to their physical ability getting the job done. To see McCartin pushing himself to the absolute maximum with dying efforts so many times was just awesome.

- Mills. I didn't necessarily love everything about his game going back to defence. The helicopter kicks that barely exit the defensive 50 gave me shudders, but it was such a nice throwback seeing him reading the play, flying for marks, making desperate defensive efforts. All the things that made us love him from his debut.

- And Buddy. His brain-fades are frustrating but that hot headedness has made him the player he is. The kind of player so confident in his freakish ability that he just pings goals that few others could kick at such crucial moments. His record in clutch finals has been used against him before, but I say **** that. What about all the clutch performances he's had over the journey that have got teams to those finals in the first place?

- Stevic. So great to see an umpire apply common se- Actually, stuff that. Eff you. One effing call means s**t compared to a flag. Hope Gil reviews the decision after the siren and sacks you.

FFS I forgot Sam Reid.

I described my thoughts on Reid's inclusions over this year as 'indifference'. Well not if he plays like that again. It was back to the Reid of the first few months of last year, which IMO was the best he's ever looked. He played the perfect 'decoy' game tonight and second fiddle to Buddy in a game where, truth be told thanks to quiet nights from Heeney & Papley, we really needed another senior forward to stand up. Kudos Sam!

Some great performances from heaps of players…….
Then there is Wicks, that free kick reversal was so infuriating and costly.
Absolute amateur hour, infact his entire game is amateur hour. He should never been selected to begin with.

Well done guys! That’s why you never, ever count the Bloods out!

Knew when we were 38 points up last week and on fire you guys would mount a comeback and wow had to change me undies after th3 game.

To do it to the Tigs and then watch that cry baby Reiwart sook it out after the siren ….. ahhh der Jack can’t give shite after the siren, the game is over …… ahh those sweet feral Richmond tears ….. delicious, I’ll collects them and add them to my extra dry martini as I watch the replay.

Enjoy the win guys!

Richmond players begging for 50 at the end should hang their heads in shame. Pathetic.

along with brian taylor ... don't recall a commentator being so openly biased as he was in those last moments, pleading for the 50-metre ... i want to say it's disgraceful but it's taylor, a buffoon at best and an absolute tool the rest of the time ...

Wicks can't stay in the side after last night's performance. Barely touched it, his pressure was poor and that free he gave was the most stupid thing I have seen this year. Buddy later did something similar but he more than made up for it with his overall performance.

Wicks had a good run in the early rounds of 2021. Since then, he's been inconsistent at best, terrible at worst. I think it's time to send him back to the VFL and not to see him again until (if) he strings together a good block of games, where he plays with good discipline too.

along with brian taylor ... don't recall a commentator being so openly biased as he was in those last moments, pleading for the 50-metre ... i want to say it's disgraceful but it's taylor, a buffoon at best and an absolute tool the rest of the time ...
Interesting that his nephew was the one who gave up the free. Obviously Richmond trumps family........

Games like the last few it what separates heeney from becoming consistently a grade

idiotic, ignorant comment ... heeney is a-grade, as almost every fan of every other club would agree
he might not be at superstar level every week but he's one of the best in the league ... when he had to stand up in the last quarter, he did so
if you have to be so miserable in "support" of the club, try to keep it to yourself more often

Richmond players begging for 50 at the end should hang their heads in shame. Pathetic.
I reckon ever player in the situation is doing the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back