Autopsy The King influences Umpires a win over North by 3 points... #jessiewhitesque

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t way to win, but at the end of the day it was a deserved free kick and we needed some luck to finally go our way somewhere.

Some of our mids had okay games but absolutely smashed in the clearances again today. I have no idea what the answer to that is, but clearly neither do our coaching staff.

Anyway, we got the W and it seemed to mean a lot to the players. Lets hope it's enough of a spark to get some semblence of momentum into our season.

What? FFS Bedders, no need to quick march to the nearest Cenotaph. Sniping is a euphemism. Do you know what that is? How about an idiom? Basketballers shoot hoops. Footy players bomb it inside 50. You do realise they're not kicking actual bombs, don't you? When a player drills a ball into someone's chest there are no power tools used. No-one dies in a kamakaze attack on the ball. When someone is built like a tank it doesn't mean they can take several soldiers inside them (though each to their own).
CAPITALS FFS , What about executing , they are not soldiers

I think the lack of a good ruck is hurting us. We're rock bottom for hitouts, let alone hitouts to advantage or follow up work that could effectively mean another midfielder at a centre bounce. Hickey's struggling to get on the park. Ladhams is trying but even McLean is a better ruck in some regards. McAndrews started well but he's just a colt (apologies if that insults horses Bedders)
I thought you were right duck, so I did a comparison between Hickey in 2021-22 and Ladhams this year. To say I am surprised is an understatement!

I checked Footywire and found that over 2021-22 Hickey averaged (per game) 15 disposals, 23 HOs, 2 tackles, 4.4 clearances and 2.7 I50s.

To compare with Ladhams in 2023 who averages 15 disposals, 20 HOs, 2 tackles, 4.1 clearances and 3 I50s.

I had no idea that Ladhams was performing that well in comparison with Hickey (who we all raved about). Oh, and for clangers it is 4.5 for Hickey and 4.1 for Ladhams.

It completely buggered my argument for our mids not performing because of a lack of a good ruck.

I thought you were right duck, so I did a comparison between Hickey in 2021-22 and Ladhams this year. To say I am surprised is an understatement!

I checked Footywire and found that over 2021-22 Hickey averaged (per game) 15 disposals, 23 HOs, 2 tackles, 4.4 clearances and 2.7 I50s.

To compare with Ladhams in 2023 who averages 15 disposals, 20 HOs, 2 tackles, 4.1 clearances and 3 I50s.

I had no idea that Ladhams was performing that well in comparison with Hickey (who we all raved about). Oh, and for clangers it is 4.5 for Hickey and 4.1 for Ladhams.

It completely buggered my argument for our mids not performing because of a lack of a good ruck.
It's the effectiveness of Hickey which makes the difference and he has a footy brain over Ladhams

We ball chase more often than I ever recall

Going back to 2005 is a long long way away but Nick Davis goal from a stoppage , they walked cats players away, there was strategy and design

we seem to converge on the ball now and leave opponents ready for an overlap handball and waltz out of the centre
I was at the game vs GWS. The amount of times that we left Giants players by themselves in the midfield was worrying.

I didn't mind too much, because I thought Horse was going back to basics and then bring in more structure in the following weeks, but nothing has changed and I'm more worried about it each week.

Saw an ad on SEEK recently.
"Permanent/Part time interchange steward required.
Here is an ideal opportunity to get into the exciting world of AFL football.
Only need to work for a 4 hour shift between the period of early March to end of August on either a Saturday or Sunday. Some other interchange stewards are required to work on Thursday and/or Friday nights and also during the month of September but these timeslots will not apply to your employment.
Requirements in order to apply for the job are that you must have passed grade 6 arithmetic and most importantly you must be able to count to 75.
Please forward resume (not in crayon) to the North Melbourne Football Club. PO Box ... North Melbourne.

Collision injuries? What? I'm not talking about a corky or concussion. Soft tissue injuries can have many causes, like an ankle getting caught under a player's weight, a sudden twist or an over-stretch. Big men who run and tackle hard, throw themselves into a contest and pack mark are asking for injuries. Reid could often be found under a collapsed pack, either clunking the mark or still competing with a quick tap or handball of the ground and out of the congestion. He's one of our smartest players.

As for the GF, Reid would have been cleared by the docs before the GF and the medical team and coaches would not have considered him if he didn't think he was worth the risk. It was blatantly obvious from the PF that we were stuffed without Reid. So you can stop holding it against Reid that he wanted to find a way to help us win the silverware.

Not only is Reid a capable ruck, forward and defender but in 2022 he was also our best contested mark. We've won only 18 of 46 quarter since Reid went down in the PF. Without Reid we’re taking fewer contested marks, while our opponents are taking more contested marks without Reid to steal the mark or at least stop them marking. His ruck work was also a strength, more than just filling a break for our main ruck, he showed that when he had to take over the main ruck duties, soundly beating English in Rd17. In the same game he laid 13 tackles as he whipped English around the ground.

In 2023 we’re relying on Franklin to hold up our contested marking, which means he's spending less time near goals. Franklin stepped up in contested marking against North. Francis isn't a bad contested mark, but he's not Reid, he can't ruck§ and his goal-kicking makes Reid look like Plugger in front of goals. We were never a great clearance team but we’ve fallen from 10th to 13th this year on average clearances, at least partly due to a drop from 14th to last for averages hitouts. In a team that struggles to win clearances a contested mark is invaluable. It gives our defenders a reliable target downfield, rather than just kicking it down the line in hope that it will be punched out of bounds, which leads to a throw-in and a hitout/clearance we're statistically likely to lose.

You must really hate Reid to not recognise his contribution to getting us to the big dance last year. His forward pressure and contested marking lifted our forward line and took some pressure off Buddy. Reid didn't play out of the goal square, more likely to be patrolling at half-forward, so many of his set shots were kicked from outside or on the edge of 50m. He also created a lot of opportunities for our smalls, that have dried up this year.

Reid had injuries which impeded his continuity but, on the other hand, his impact really lifted when he had a solid block of injury free games. Our club as a whole isn't exactly renowned for its ability to keep key position players on the park, yet somehow you think an injury gives you an excuse to slag off a premiership player and devoted servant to the club, like some pathetic keyboard warrior? A comparable player to Reid would be LRT, a cult hero. Reid more or less took over LRT's role. Like Reid he was a true utility. He could play in any position but he also had a lot of injuries. And without doubt Sam was the better player in every position.

"The one contribution he can make is going on the inactive list" Really, that's all you can think of? Reid can use the year off, as Buddy did in 2020, to get himself in the best possible shape to win a contract extension and take us to a GF in 2024. He can also work with our young forwards and even teach them how to play as an effective under-sized ruck. When Buddy retires we'll need an experienced tall forward to guide our young talls. In the meantime, Reid has an opportunity to help develop another ruck/forward/utility to replace his valuable role in the team. I doubt the team judge Reid's contribution the way you do.
Unfortunately GUH does little else but criticize our players. That's why I have him on ignore.

lol he was fine in the ruck,

Going off topic but his first season he looked awesome
His first season... when he was our key forward, with no Bud, didn't go near the ruck & had half the year off thanks to some brown paper bags the Crows gave him?

I was there for his first game .v. Port. He was HUGE! Kicked 4 (I think?) & looked awesome... The introduction of Buddy & pushing Tip into the ruck really didn't help his career (but he took it all on).

His first season... when he was our key forward, with no Bud, didn't go near the ruck & had half the year off thanks to some brown paper bags the Crows gave him?

I was there for his first game .v. Port. He was HUGE! Kicked 4 (I think?) & looked awesome... The introduction of Buddy & pushing Tip into the ruck really didn't help his career (but he took it all on).

Yeah they were two separate thoughts sorry,

I liked his ruck work.

But also 2013 when he rocked up as you say v Port (we lost) it looked great

Hickey’s tap work is cleaner.

But also Ladhams has been reliably doing 1-2 really stupid things in almost every game, often directly leading to a goal.

If he got those out of his game, I think the perception of his year would be very different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they were two separate thoughts sorry,

I liked his ruck work.

But also 2013 when he rocked up as you say v Port (we lost) it looked great
Revisit Tippett's late 2015 run of form including the finals series with no Buddy.

Looked like a powerhouse and inspirational leader.

Eddie sniping at the Swans and Dane Rampe on Footy Class this week. It's not the U11s says Eddie.

Never misses a chance does he!

Eddie sniping at the Swans and Dane Rampe on Footy Class this week. It's not the U11s says Eddie.

Never misses a chance does he!
How is that fetid turd still allowed to speak publicly. Should have been hounded out of the game in disgrace

Make them watch the 2005 and 2012 GF over and over! Even the 2006 as well, despite the loss it was do or die the whole way through.
They should watch the 1989 GF. 1. As an example of how to respond to being pushed around by being as hard as F can be. The way Dermie set the tone for the Hawks after having his ribs smashed, much as Hanners once set the tone for us, was inspirational. 2. The game shows how to claw back a 40 point thrashing in the first quarter, starting by winning the next three quarters. 3. As an example of how to lose a GF honourably. Geelong clawed back to within a kick despite giving the Hawks a 40 point head start. Gary Ablett Snr almost singlehandedly dragged Geelong back into the game, kicking 9 goals in one of the many highlight games of his career and winning the Norm Smith despite being on the losing side. This was Ablett Snr even before the peak of his Godlike powers (By 1993 was kicking 124 goals in just 17 games, at an average of 7.3 goals/game)

They should watch the 1989 GF. 1. As an example of how to respond to being pushed around by being as hard as F can be. The way Dermie set the tone for the Hawks after having his ribs smashed, much as Hanners once set the tone for us, was inspirational. 2. The game shows how to claw back a 40 point thrashing in the first quarter, starting by winning the next three quarters. 3. As an example of how to lose a GF honourably. Geelong clawed back to within a kick despite giving the Hawks a 40 point head start. Gary Ablett Snr almost singlehandedly dragged Geelong back into the game, kicking 9 goals in one of the many highlight games of his career and winning the Norm Smith despite being on the losing side. This was Ablett Snr even before the peak of his Godlike powers (By 1993 was kicking 124 goals in just 17 games, at an average of 7.3 goals/game)
Bumped !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back