Autopsy The King influences Umpires a win over North by 3 points... #jessiewhitesque

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t way to win, but at the end of the day it was a deserved free kick and we needed some luck to finally go our way somewhere.

Some of our mids had okay games but absolutely smashed in the clearances again today. I have no idea what the answer to that is, but clearly neither do our coaching staff.

Anyway, we got the W and it seemed to mean a lot to the players. Lets hope it's enough of a spark to get some semblence of momentum into our season.

Nah I think Ratten is done with full time coaching. He said in an interview last week that he’d only agreed to go coach with Clarkson at North if it was a part-time role.

Now the poor bastard is in charge of 50-odd people again under the national spotlight, after his boss and friend had a nervous breakdown, and losing his first game via a never-before-invoked technicality.

It’d almost be funny if the human toll it’s taking on him wasn’t so physically obvious.

Agree he wouldn’t have tanked it, though.
He has had it tough with a problem son sadly killed in a car accident and quite normal he didn't handle it well .

He has had it tough with a problem son sadly killed in a car accident and quite normal he didn't handle it well .

Yeah I know. Was saying over in another thread that all the professional/work stuff obviously pales in comparison to family tragedy.

But he’s had such a s**t run in his coaching jobs. Can’t have been easy on top of everything else he has had to deal with.

I always liked Ratts as a player. Just seems a decent person who has copped terrible personal and career setbacks.

Terrible now to assume the reins of Norf.
I’m not so sure it’s that bad.

They have a very talented bunch of young mids.

Expectations are low this year - I think he can actually enjoy the role, bringing along the youngsters.

Maybe this group need to find their own way, start their own culture based on their personalities etc rather than trying to adhere to an idea that was formed before some of them were even born.

Or maybe they just need to harden the F up lol
I think they need to harden the * up. I think we have too many lazy players. Great when thry are getting glory but shite when it is hard grind. The other thing is, if you want to improve your art you put in the hard yards. Do extra work. How many players stay after training and do fitness drills? How many have approached ex players, most of the recent players still live in Sydney, and asked for help with technique, hardness etc. I mean Kizza would put every mid on our lust on their bums in 5 seconds. Teddy and Reg were really hard players. Goodie might have been a out and out champion but he put lots of extra hours to hone his art.

If you want to win premierships boys you need to start getting serious and stop just treating it as a 9-11am job.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its the same midfield as last season so i completely disagree its a talent problem.

You dont just lose the ability after 12 games its performance/fitness based.

I was just clarifying what punts thought

I think it's talented, maybe not the top end but the talent is on the list

That is not true. I don't recall Sam getting collision injuries.

Just lots of soft tissue injuries. Last year he implied he'd worked hard in the off season. This seemed to be new to him.

His repeat injuries, disappearing acts in some games and poor goal kicking need to be remembered as much as his good games.

Putting his hand up to play in the GF was beyond unfortunate and for mine colours his career.

The one contribution he can make is going on the inactive list.
Collision injuries? What? I'm not talking about a corky or concussion. Soft tissue injuries can have many causes, like an ankle getting caught under a player's weight, a sudden twist or an over-stretch. Big men who run and tackle hard, throw themselves into a contest and pack mark are asking for injuries. Reid could often be found under a collapsed pack, either clunking the mark or still competing with a quick tap or handball of the ground and out of the congestion. He's one of our smartest players.

As for the GF, Reid would have been cleared by the docs before the GF and the medical team and coaches would not have considered him if he didn't think he was worth the risk. It was blatantly obvious from the PF that we were stuffed without Reid. So you can stop holding it against Reid that he wanted to find a way to help us win the silverware.

Not only is Reid a capable ruck, forward and defender but in 2022 he was also our best contested mark. We've won only 18 of 46 quarter since Reid went down in the PF. Without Reid we’re taking fewer contested marks, while our opponents are taking more contested marks without Reid to steal the mark or at least stop them marking. His ruck work was also a strength, more than just filling a break for our main ruck, he showed that when he had to take over the main ruck duties, soundly beating English in Rd17. In the same game he laid 13 tackles as he whipped English around the ground.

In 2023 we’re relying on Franklin to hold up our contested marking, which means he's spending less time near goals. Franklin stepped up in contested marking against North. Francis isn't a bad contested mark, but he's not Reid, he can't ruck§ and his goal-kicking makes Reid look like Plugger in front of goals. We were never a great clearance team but we’ve fallen from 10th to 13th this year on average clearances, at least partly due to a drop from 14th to last for averages hitouts. In a team that struggles to win clearances a contested mark is invaluable. It gives our defenders a reliable target downfield, rather than just kicking it down the line in hope that it will be punched out of bounds, which leads to a throw-in and a hitout/clearance we're statistically likely to lose.

You must really hate Reid to not recognise his contribution to getting us to the big dance last year. His forward pressure and contested marking lifted our forward line and took some pressure off Buddy. Reid didn't play out of the goal square, more likely to be patrolling at half-forward, so many of his set shots were kicked from outside or on the edge of 50m. He also created a lot of opportunities for our smalls, that have dried up this year.

Reid had injuries which impeded his continuity but, on the other hand, his impact really lifted when he had a solid block of injury free games. Our club as a whole isn't exactly renowned for its ability to keep key position players on the park, yet somehow you think an injury gives you an excuse to slag off a premiership player and devoted servant to the club, like some pathetic keyboard warrior? A comparable player to Reid would be LRT, a cult hero. Reid more or less took over LRT's role. Like Reid he was a true utility. He could play in any position but he also had a lot of injuries. And without doubt Sam was the better player in every position.

"The one contribution he can make is going on the inactive list" Really, that's all you can think of? Reid can use the year off, as Buddy did in 2020, to get himself in the best possible shape to win a contract extension and take us to a GF in 2024. He can also work with our young forwards and even teach them how to play as an effective under-sized ruck. When Buddy retires we'll need an experienced tall forward to guide our young talls. In the meantime, Reid has an opportunity to help develop another ruck/forward/utility to replace his valuable role in the team. I doubt the team judge Reid's contribution the way you do.

Collision injuries? What? I'm not talking about a corky or concussion. Soft tissue injuries can have many causes, like an ankle getting caught under a player's weight, a sudden twist or an over-stretch. Big men who run and tackle hard, throw themselves into a contest and pack mark are asking for injuries. Reid could often be found under a collapsed pack, either clunking the mark or still competing with a quick tap or handball of the ground and out of the congestion. He's one of our smartest players.

As for the GF, Reid would have been cleared by the docs before the GF and the medical team and coaches would not have considered him if he didn't think he was worth the risk. It was blatantly obvious from the PF that we were stuffed without Reid. So you can stop holding it against Reid that he wanted to find a way to help us win the silverware.

Not only is Reid a capable ruck, forward and defender but in 2022 he was also our best contested mark. We've won only 18 of 46 quarter since Reid went down in the PF. Without Reid we’re taking fewer contested marks, while our opponents are taking more contested marks without Reid to steal the mark or at least stop them marking. His ruck work was also a strength, more than just filling a break for our main ruck, he showed that when he had to take over the main ruck duties, soundly beating English in Rd17. In the same game he laid 13 tackles as he whipped English around the ground.

In 2023 we’re relying on Franklin to hold up our contested marking, which means he's spending less time near goals. Franklin stepped up in contested marking against North. Francis isn't a bad contested mark, but he's not Reid, he can't ruck§ and his goal-kicking makes Reid look like Plugger in front of goals. We were never a great clearance team but we’ve fallen from 10th to 13th this year on average clearances, at least partly due to a drop from 14th to last for averages hitouts. In a team that struggles to win clearances a contested mark is invaluable. It gives our defenders a reliable target downfield, rather than just kicking it down the line in hope that it will be punched out of bounds, which leads to a throw-in and a hitout/clearance we're statistically likely to lose.

You must really hate Reid to not recognise his contribution to getting us to the big dance last year. His forward pressure and contested marking lifted our forward line and took some pressure off Buddy. Reid didn't play out of the goal square, more likely to be patrolling at half-forward, so many of his set shots were kicked from outside or on the edge of 50m. He also created a lot of opportunities for our smalls, that have dried up this year.

Reid had injuries which impeded his continuity but, on the other hand, his impact really lifted when he had a solid block of injury free games. Our club as a whole isn't exactly renowned for its ability to keep key position players on the park, yet somehow you think an injury gives you an excuse to slag off a premiership player and devoted servant to the club, like some pathetic keyboard warrior? A comparable player to Reid would be LRT, a cult hero. Reid more or less took over LRT's role. Like Reid he was a true utility. He could play in any position but he also had a lot of injuries. And without doubt Sam was the better player in every position.

"The one contribution he can make is going on the inactive list" Really, that's all you can think of? Reid can use the year off, as Buddy did in 2020, to get himself in the best possible shape to win a contract extension and take us to a GF in 2024. He can also work with our young forwards and even teach them how to play as an effective under-sized ruck. When Buddy retires we'll need an experienced tall forward to guide our young talls. In the meantime, Reid has an opportunity to help develop another ruck/forward/utility to replace his valuable role in the team. I doubt the team judge Reid's contribution the way you do.
That’s the problem

We still rely to heavily on Reid , Parker and rampe

It’s a massive worry and why I think we will be down for a fess years yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe I have a balanced assessment based on his strengths and weaknesses and contribution.

That’s the problem

We still rely to heavily on Reid , Parker and rampe

It’s a massive worry and why I think we will be down for a fess years yet
Agree. We have a young team who are held together by some old soldiers. When Buddy and Reid are gone who cops the two best defenders? Who steps up when Hickey's not there? My guess is we'll need to get by on past-their-peak stars from other clubs who are looking for a lifeline, if we can't pull some mid 20s stars. We should have some cash to splash

I think they need to harden the * up. I think we have too many lazy players. Great when thry are getting glory but shite when it is hard grind. The other thing is, if you want to improve your art you put in the hard yards. Do extra work. How many players stay after training and do fitness drills? How many have approached ex players, most of the recent players still live in Sydney, and asked for help with technique, hardness etc. I mean Kizza would put every mid on our lust on their bums in 5 seconds. Teddy and Reg were really hard players. Goodie might have been a out and out champion but he put lots of extra hours to hone his art.

If you want to win premierships boys you need to start getting serious and stop just treating it as a 9-11am job.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't you hold back now, Drill Sergeant Woflie.

Good and respect to our service people , they are footballers , not soldiers
What? FFS Bedders, no need to quick march to the nearest Cenotaph. Sniping is a euphemism. Do you know what that is? How about an idiom? Basketballers shoot hoops. Footy players bomb it inside 50. You do realise they're not kicking actual bombs, don't you? When a player drills a ball into someone's chest there are no power tools used. No-one dies in a kamakaze attack on the ball. When someone is built like a tank it doesn't mean they can take several soldiers inside them (though each to their own).

I was just clarifying what punts thought

I think it's talented, maybe not the top end but the talent is on the list
I think the lack of a good ruck is hurting us. We're rock bottom for hitouts, let alone hitouts to advantage or follow up work that could effectively mean another midfielder at a centre bounce. Hickey's struggling to get on the park. Ladhams is trying but even McLean is a better ruck in some regards. McAndrews started well but he's just a colt (apologies if that insults horses Bedders)

Great post Rubbaduck, totally agree, he was immense last year.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We ball chase more often than I ever recall

Going back to 2005 is a long long way away but Nick Davis goal from a stoppage , they walked cats players away, there was strategy and design

we seem to converge on the ball now and leave opponents ready for an overlap handball and waltz out of the centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back