Autopsy The King influences Umpires a win over North by 3 points... #jessiewhitesque

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t way to win, but at the end of the day it was a deserved free kick and we needed some luck to finally go our way somewhere.

Some of our mids had okay games but absolutely smashed in the clearances again today. I have no idea what the answer to that is, but clearly neither do our coaching staff.

Anyway, we got the W and it seemed to mean a lot to the players. Lets hope it's enough of a spark to get some semblence of momentum into our season.

Yes, and we also don't have any explanation for the constant selection screw ups but at least we've found one in Wardlaw. In about 12 months he'll be winning games on his own, provided we peel back some of the s**t.
You're in the right place to complain about selection screw ups. It's basically the Swans slogan!

Wardlaw looked good, his passages of play were awesome to watch, fingers crossed for you guys and the league he reaches his potential.

Surely not the centre clearances? Felt like we were watching Geelong motor out of there on repeat. If we won the clearance they would have been poor and sideway hack kicks rather than any clearances Geelong seemed to win.
13-14 centre clearences our way. Pretty sure all of ours went straight to a Geelong player and they rebounded

Genuinely don't think I've seen a worse midfield performance from any midfield for any team ever

So if we were to point fingers, who comes under the blowtorch?

- the players?
  • Cox?
  • Pyke?
  • Kinnear Beatson?
  • All or none of the above?

When did we last have an elite / top 5 ruckman - Darren Jolly in 2009? I would argue that this is our biggest issue.

- the players?
  • Cox?
  • Pyke?
  • Kinnear Beatson?

When did we last have an elite / top 5 ruckman - Darren Jolly in 2009? I would argue that this is our biggest issue.

Mumford

- the players?
  • Cox?
  • Pyke?
  • Kinnear Beatson?

If the lack of elite ruckman was to blame then how does one explain our midfield from 2012-2017?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're in the right place to complain about selection screw ups. It's basically the Swans slogan!

Wardlaw looked good, his passages of play were awesome to watch, fingers crossed for you guys and the league he reaches his potential.
Fingers crossed for South.

He'll have to wait until the bye for a week off.
It would be irresponsible to play him with stiches around his eye like that. Not to mention pointless in a season going nowhere.
It'll open up for sure.
Throw Sheldrick in and see if he swims. Give Heeney time in the middle too. Or if Sheather is back give him a run if they think it's too early for Sheldrick.

Just my opinion.

Is Papley injured? Seems to have lost his form. Unable to impact forward or midfield. Our Energiser Bunny has flat batteries

I was surprised to see Gulden and Campbell among the weaker players in disposal efficiency. Accurate kicking is what we hang our hat on. It's disappointing to see good work undone by poor execution of an unpressured disposal or poor kicking for goals. There are a number of areas where the team is weak, particularly our ruck/midfield, but isn't helping if we fail to play to our strengths.

I liked Andrews, especially early, but he's clearly not ready yet. I'm not sure what we do about Ladhams. Ruck is his only real skill and he's not very good at it. Near the goals he's a liability, defensively he's not switched on, loses his opponent or does dumb things.

Ladhams can't compare with a guy like Sam Reid who plays very well at either end or around the ground, winning contested marks, laying tackles, getting himself to places where he's needed. In the ruck his athleticism enough to time his jump to perfection, making up in skill what he lacks in height. His taps went to the right places. Ladhams seems to just jumps into the other ruck. He lacks skill and his second efforts need to be better. I'd rather see McLean try to learn Reid's role, though he's a long way from Reid, he's at least available.

Can Ladhams become a forward/ruck? Probably not. Sinkers always had that extra arrow in his quiver of being a pretty decent forward. Can we afford to carry a pure ruck who can't actually ruck?

Great.

Just what we need - A new Sam Reid!
Actually, we do need a new Sam Reid, but Ladhams can't do what Reid could do.

The main reason Reid had a lot of injuries was his kamikaze approach to a contest. Sam goes like a terrier, even at training, albeit a bit bigger than a terrier.

If the lack of elite ruckman was to blame then how does one explain our midfield from 2012-2017?
Agree, for me a solid ruck who contributes around the ground is the ideal. If Ladhams could at least mark he'd provide a lot more. We lack a good outlet mark on the wing, a solid backup in defence or a ruck who is able to sneak forward and stretch the opposition defence for a goal or two. Buddy taking four contested marks really helped us on the weekend. I hope he does that a lot more. Reid has long been our best contested mark.

Actually, we do need a new Sam Reid, but Ladhams can't do what Reid could do.

The main reason Reid had a lot of injuries was his kamikaze approach to a contest. Sam goes like a terrier, even at training, albeit a bit bigger than a terrier.

That is not true. I don't recall Sam getting collision injuries.

Just lots of soft tissue injuries. Last year he implied he'd worked hard in the off season. This seemed to be new to him.

His repeat injuries, disappearing acts in some games and poor goal kicking need to be remembered as much as his good games.

Putting his hand up to play in the GF was beyond unfortunate and for mine colours his career.

The one contribution he can make is going on the inactive list.

“Spec Moderator”?

All hail Caesar!

PS: in answer to your question - Mike Pyke mightn’t have been elite, but I reckon he was more than serviceable & an elite mark on the wing - which was critical to our success 2010-15.

And, due to umps with no sense of occasion, he was denied the goal of the century:

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but why was Hayden McLean nominated to take the 50m freebie? He was nowhere near that last passage of play immediately before the ump held up play to take the message about the interchange infringement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back