Movie Top Gun: Maverick

Remove this Banner Ad

wow.

i have no history or established knowledge of the source material. Obvs know a tiny bit, like the nicknames, but not much else. But it mattered not. The music resonnated with the visuals, and sought to evoke emotions without you even realising. That is the strength of film.

The tight cast and casting lent itself to the movie. You know who gonna be picked, you know their chacteristics. You know whats gonna happen, 10/10 formulaic. But it didnt matter.

one thing i must query is the enemy. No name, no country, no establishment. Not the russians, al-queda, chinese, north koreans, iraqis. Just a shrouded enemy, black uniform, nothing. USA needs a war with someone to draw inspiration from.

Something in this movie for everyone. Fighting and training for person A, love interest for person B (Maverick learned to love again)

Ed harris almost stepped out of The Rock, and to the naval base. From Alcatraz to SD a straight line drive south

wow.

i have no history or established knowledge of the source material. Obvs know a tiny bit, like the nicknames, but not much else. But it mattered not. The music resonnated with the visuals, and sought to evoke emotions without you even realising. That is the strength of film.

The tight cast and casting lent itself to the movie. You know who gonna be picked, you know their chacteristics. You know whats gonna happen, 10/10 formulaic. But it didnt matter.

one thing i must query is the enemy. No name, no country, no establishment. Not the russians, al-queda, chinese, north koreans, iraqis. Just a shrouded enemy, black uniform, nothing. USA needs a war with someone to draw inspiration from.

Something in this movie for everyone. Fighting and training for person A, love interest for person B (Maverick learned to love again)

Ed harris almost stepped out of The Rock, and to the naval base. From Alcatraz to SD a straight line drive south

Without saying it, I'd say the enemy was Iran. In the 70s they purchased a heap of F14s from the US, about the only country outside of the states that were allowed to. As soon as they said some ancient Tomcats I knew who they were referring to.

Without saying it, I'd say the enemy was Iran. In the 70s they purchased a heap of F14s from the US, about the only country outside of the states that were allowed to. As soon as they said some ancient Tomcats I knew who they were referring to.
... but how they managed to get their hands on "5th Generation Fighters" is entirely beyond me.

The first Top Gun movie never identified the enemy nation either. The only thing we ever learned about them was that they flew the (fictitious) Mig-28.

By giving them F-14s (for Maverick), there was only one possible country it could have been - given that there are only 2 countries which have ever operated the F-14... and Maverick wasn't up against fellow Americans.

I
It was refreshing that during the movie I and my cohorts didnt even realise who the enemy was. So engrossing that the enemy really is a secondary thing.

... but how they managed to get their hands on "5th Generation Fighters" is entirely beyond me.

The first Top Gun movie never identified the enemy nation either. The only thing we ever learned about them was that they flew the (fictitious) Mig-28.

By giving them F-14s (for Maverick), there was only one possible country it could have been - given that there are only 2 countries which have ever operated the F-14... and Maverick wasn't up against fellow Americans.

Or was he wink wink

I dont know a lot about who has what arms, but seemed a bit weird that the Americans had inferior combat fighters compared to some rogue nation.
There's plenty of flaws, if you really want to go looking for them.

For example...
  • Who puts a top secret nuclear facility close to the coast, where it's vulnerable to strike from carrier-borne aircraft?
  • Aren't class photos taken at graduation? In which case Goose shouldn't be in the photo of Maverick's Top Gun class, as he died before graduation.
You just need to accept the movie for what it is, and enjoy it.

I thought it had a perfect mix of humour, fanboi service, action & story.

I dont know a lot about who has what arms, but seemed a bit weird that the Americans had inferior combat fighters compared to some rogue nation.

The Russians do indeed have 'fifth generation fighters' in real life that can go toe to toe with F-22s (and easily outclass the F/A-18s you see in the movie) - the issue is making enough of them and keeping them operational.

Not a huge stretch to imagine the Russians (or the Chinese with their knockoffs) supplying to the rogue nation.

There's plenty of flaws, if you really want to go looking for them.

For example...
  • Who puts a top secret nuclear facility close to the coast, where it's vulnerable to strike from carrier-borne aircraft?
  • Aren't class photos taken at graduation? In which case Goose shouldn't be in the photo of Maverick's Top Gun class, as he died before graduation.
You just need to accept the movie for what it is, and enjoy it.

I thought it had a perfect mix of humour, fanboi service, action & story.
I enjoyed it, and was not a nitpick as I dont tend to bother with too much nitpicking as is just a popcorn flick. Just seemed odd that the Americans did not have the planes that could go toe to toe given they were using the best of the best, maybe use the best of the best fighters also.

But anyway, an enjoyable film, the scene where Mav flies the canyon run for the first time in 2:15 was epic cinematography.

I enjoyed it, and was not a nitpick as I dont tend to bother with too much nitpicking as is just a popcorn flick. Just seemed odd that the Americans did not have the planes that could go toe to toe given they were using the best of the best, maybe use the best of the best fighters also.

But anyway, an enjoyable film, the scene where Mav flies the canyon run for the first time in 2:15 was epic cinematography.
Different aircraft perform different roles.

The equivalent of the enemy's "5th G fighter" would be the F-22, which doesn't operate off a carrier. They needed a USN aircraft to bomb the crap out of something, and the obvious aircraft to do the job are the FA-18F, or (maybe) the F-35B (carrier based version of the JSF) - neither of which are a match for the Su-57 (or equivalents).

I'm not sure why they chose to go with the FA-18F, instead of the F-35B.

The equivalent of the enemy's "5th G fighter" would be the F-22, which doesn't operate off a carrier. They needed a USN aircraft to bomb the crap out of something, and the obvious aircraft to do the job are the FA-18F, or (maybe) the F-35B (carrier based version of the JSF) - neither of which are a match for the Su-57 (or equivalents).

Early in the movie (when Maverick was asked how he would do the mission and he suggested F-35s would get it done easily), it was pointed out that due to radar jamming facilities of some kind the F-35s could not get the job done properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early in the movie (when Maverick was asked how he would do the mission and he suggested F-35s would get it done easily), it was pointed out that due to radar jamming facilities of some kind the F-35s could not get the job done properly.
That's right... some garbage about the F-35s being unable to operate in a GPS-denied environment. Good point!

Basically... they came up with a plot device to explain why the US pilots had to fly 4th Gen aircraft, while the "enemy" (which could only be Iran, given the presence of F-14s) somehow managed to get their hands on 5th Gen fighters.

That's right... some garbage about the F-35s being unable to operate in a GPS-denied environment. Good point!

Basically... they came up with a plot device to explain why the US pilots had to fly 4th Gen aircraft, while the "enemy" (which could only be Iran, given the presence of F-14s) somehow managed to get their hands on 5th Gen fighters.

Don't think we're meant to be overthinking this, dude.

In real life dogfights are incredibly rare and the Hornets would be blasted out of the sky from beyond visual range and wouldn't know where the missiles were coming from. You also wouldn't have fixed surface to air missile batteries exposed like that on top of mountains.

It's a movie.

Which point of the movie did you or anyone in the cinema fist pump the hardest?

The cinema was loudest when Maverick did his training run in 2:15.

Great scene from start to finish.

I was pretty much FOOOOK YEH as soon as Dangerzone kicked in right at the start.
It was a shot-for-shot copy of the original opening, albeit with FA-18Fs instead of F-14s. Fanboi heaven... and I lapped up every second of it!

MasculineShockedBasil-max-1mb.gif

i love the hand signals of these persons

Don't think we're meant to be overthinking this, dude.

In real life dogfights are incredibly rare and the Hornets would be blasted out of the sky from beyond visual range and wouldn't know where the missiles were coming from. You also wouldn't have fixed surface to air missile batteries exposed like that on top of mountains.

It's a movie.
Been a while since I looked into it, but I remember there were 3 variants of the JSF: Fighter, Attack and Carrier. Not exactly sure what the carrier version entailed other than screwing a hook onto the back of it, but I'd suggest that the Super Hornet was better equiped for a mission that includes both precision bombing and dogfighting. Also, they did mention the stress of the climb basically bricked the plane so the Hornets were probably more expendable (assuming the JSF has similar G limits).

The Super Hornets are a fair bit more modern than the original Hornets so they're still more than capable in dog fights (which is why we bought a bunch waiting for the JSFs) and at the very least would last long enough to get into visual range.

Normally, I'd agree that this is pedantic nickpicking, but I'm happy to write it off as 'cool nerd s**t' discussions! ;) (And a small caveat, I might be slightly biased as I've always had a hard on for F/A-18s!)

On a random, if any one is interested in the size comparison of the JSF, Super Hornet and F-22:

And just because it's awesome:
Looking DOWN at an F/A-18 flying through a canyon right in front of us in Death Valley:

IMG-20180926-WA0030.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back