Review Dogs overcome first quarter blues to beat Hawks 125-83

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought JJ and Macrae were excellent, particularly early when we were struggling.

Libba, Bont and West great as the game went on.

I was a bit disappointed with Crozier's game, but first game back in the 1s.

Weightman probably shouldn't have played.
‘Probably’! Definitely shouldn’t have played. A terrible decision. Didn’t look like he could use his arm from the first moment. A professional football club shouldn’t make such a poor decision. If he needs three weeks rest or whatever, just weight until he is right, surely Wallis should have played?

10 contested marks from our KPF's with a very even contribution (JUH 4, Schache 3, Naughton 3) is very satisfying.

Sweet comes out for English but he certainly wasn't awful. Was way better when our mids started to fire. 32 hitouts, 1 goal and 5 tackles. We are 8-1 with him in the side so he's obviously not a liability.
Once he figured out how too combat Reeves, he halved the contest kept it in tight then our mids could go to work.
Sweet never going to be a gun needs to keep working on forward craft and could be the Ruck/Fwd to support English possibly. A lot will depend on where we develop Darcy

At least we only spent half a season with Zaine Cordy as our CHF, Mr. Beaning his way to 2 goals, and not a whole season.

I really like Schache and I’m delighted he’s played well tonight…but let’s not act like he hasn’t been given chances. If he’d shown anything like tonight’s form previously, he would be in the 22.
Agree he certainly has had chances but he looked a very different player last night too previously. Played with an intensity and physicality that just hasn't been present before.
Fighting for a loose ball on the deck after the ruck contest , dumping a bloke with a solid tackle. Best of all blowing past that campaigner Sicily to take a very solid mark. Just maybe the penny has dropped for Schache!

But one of our worst concussions last year was a friendly fire incident (Astro's knee on English at Manuka). How do you police that? Give a free to GWS?
Surely no one forgets the "knee of god" from Cordy that took out Ward in the '16 prelim.

Once he figured out how too combat Reeves, he halved the contest kept it in tight then our mids could go to work.
Sweet never going to be a gun needs to keep working on forward craft and could be the Ruck/Fwd to support English possibly. A lot will depend on where we develop Darcy

Good point. For a 9 game player playing in the ruck he was able to think through what he had to do to adjust to opposition ruck. He was getting beaten in first Qtr like many but he fought back well.

His body size helps in stoppages and his tap work is getting better.

He should not be dismissed simply because we have English. I don’t like seeing Scache Buku types rucking

In last Qtr scuffle broke out out on wing two of our players made detours to attend Libba and Sweet.

I fear sweet v mcinerney if English isn’t right to go.

His second half was good but he was as bad as our mids in the first quarter.
I actually think that Big Mac is one of the ruckman that Sweet best matches up against. Brute force without much leap at both the centre square and stoppage but next to no damage around the ground.

Would love both English and Sweet for this one. Let Sweet be the gladiator against Mac and English can run rampant around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still disturbing how easy we are to score against on the rebound, compounded by our poor 1 on 1 ability.

Keath is the exception (although he was horrible with ball in hand) but O’Brien and Gardner don’t half enough contests, combined with both Dale and Daniel in the backline. You’d expect it to get further exposed as we play better teams on the way home, hopefully we keep putting up big scores to counter it.

Shocking that first qurter, we have had a few slow starts already.
Liked what I saw from Shak, Bont, Libba, Westy and great to see Marra getting some confidence. Sweet also impresses me, just an old fashioned ruck man but think if he hangs around he is going to be a solid citizen.
Biggest concern is our 1-1 defending and also the ease the opposition seem to get it into their forward line at times where there is so much space and 1-1's, we rarely seem to get the same space in our forward line and it means we give up easy scores when we are dominating play. Of course kicking 13 straight helps to cover that in qtrs 2 and 3!

Scott played another very solid game. He’s the sort of bottom 6 player I’m more than happy to have in the side.

Filled on for Richards when he went down. Bevo would love his ability to plug holes up forward, the wing and down back throughout the course of the game.

I like Scott. Very tidy player

I've wanted Schache to make it so bad, I hope he does now, his kicking is elite
Totally agree, i was more surprised by the ground he covered for a big man. A aerobic beast, He even seems to have mentally become more aggressive.
Nice one Shaq, you can be that missing piece as a back up ruck/ fwd.

JJ not getting sucked into the ball carrier & tackling Jiath was a big momentum changer. They were all over us before that.

Senior players got to work in 2nd quarter, bit of pride dented early with nobodies running rings around them. Great response.

West is a jet.

I liked Schache’s game.

Naughton is an animal.

Macrae, Libba & Bont enormous when it mattered.

Promising signs from Jamarra. He’ll take plenty out of that.

Thought Scott was connecting up well there when we got warm.

Main knock was the defense. Geez we looked shaky all night and Hawks are rubbish.
Darcy can't come on quick enough

Except when under no pressure going up the bangs it out on the full..... what the actual couldn't hardly believe it
Oh well we all get it wrong sometimes!
Watching live and right behind him it was a very difficult kick. He shaped up to go inboard and had the entire Hawks zone moving … all he had to do was nail a 50m bullet across his body to a hard lead right up against the boundary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back