Autopsy Swans tarnish Saints Halo by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thing though, Cunningham's form pre-injury was ordinary, and warranted being in the 2s, he got injured, then as soon as he's fit, goes straight into the firsts. He's a coaches pet. I'm sure of it.

I'm incredibly fearful of him coming back in. McInerney I can deal with, but not Cunningham.

I'd probably actually drop Clarke for McInerney. Clarke played a tagging role on a half backman. No need to do that next week. We can handle Essendon without tagging Parish or Merrett. The week after? The Dogs. Does Clarke tag Macrae? I'm not convinced. Libba? Hmmm. I think we can beat the Dogs without tagging either.

It's just not often we need a tagger and we'd be relying on Clarke to do that good of a job all the time, and he doesn't have enough points in the bank to allow himself a down game and keep his spot.
I wouldn't say that. Essendon can cut you up through the middle!

Only watched the 1Q but reading the reports, sounds like Fox, Dyl and Clarke all stepped up. Great to hear Ollie and Blakey dominant off HB. Shoes the importance of rewarding consistent VFL form. Keeps pressure on incumbents to perform as well as introducing enthusiasm to the team.

This is a hard game to assess. Early doors both sides applied Finals level pressure and the forwards struggled. Our entries I50 were not great. Why Papley was often the target drove me bonkers.

Buddy was sensational in the first half and his vision and field kicking is a joy.

The second half saw some better scoreboard reward but did it reflect our dominance?

The Defence was sensational. Of the big Oppo forwards, only Curnow and Marshall have got away from us. King joins Hawkins, Cameron and others as victims of our defence. Lots of terrific run and rebound. Others may have been the 'stars' but I was really delighted in Foxy's game.

Hickey and the Mids were very solid and competitive. Rowbottom according to someone I heard had 83 pressure acts. Stephens won or halved most of his contests, copped a few hits and just ran, ran ran.

The best thing about the forwards was the pressure applied on the Saints' exits.

The Saints' Board reaction was best summarised by the following comment

"You don’t have to be a dwarf to be burned by this club."

Only watched the 1Q but reading the reports, sounds like Fox, Dyl and Clarke all stepped up. Great to hear Ollie and Blakey dominant off HB. Shoes the importance of rewarding consistent VFL form. Keeps pressure on incumbents to perform as well as introducing enthusiasm to the team.
Not sure players stepped up last night.

I think the better description is “downhill skied”

One common trait our inclusions brought was run run run. Fox running from hb, Stephens between the arcs and Clarke in the forward half. This lessened the focus on lloyd/blakey being our main run n carry players as the opposition had to focus on others. When they focused on others then lloyd and blakey were able to capitalise. Such a crucial part of the game which really opened up our ball movement and allowed lloyd/blakey to have maximum impact from hb.

In our loses we've looked far too stagnant and relied on our kicking, there's been a distinct lack of energy on the ball with limited player movement but we hardly noticed it last night due to the run provided from our inclusions.

I also think early in the game we tried to utilise handballing to get our players into that run n carry rhythm which was excellent. It was a specific plan from coaches to help us with our movement off ball imo. I loved seeing it. We don't utilise it enough imo. It's also a great way to break down zone defences against great teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All in all we actually brought the intensity/pressure for the whole game for a change. If we can get the disposal right for a whole game we will demolish sides.

The main disappointment was the first half disposal. This shows in one start. 30 inside 50's fir 10 scoring shots, 33.3%. Very poor. We need to be hitting at least 60% against pretenders like Saints to beat the top sides.

In the first half both sides looked way off the top eight in skills. But from half time only one side looked cooked, Saints. We took the foot off the pedal late in the last and allowed a couple of goals through.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

All in all we actually brought the intensity/pressure for the whole game for a change. If we can get the disposal right for a whole game we will demolish sides.

The main disappointment was the first half disposal. This shows in one start. 30 inside 50's fir 10 scoring shots, 33.3%. Very poor. We need to be hitting at least 60% against pretenders like Saints to beat the top sides.

In the first half both sides looked way off the top eight in skills. But from half time only one side looked cooked, Saints. We took the foot off the pedal late in the last and allowed a couple of goals through.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I still maintain that games at the SCG tend to be scrappy & not free-flowing - and ground dimensions must surely play a part. It always just looks and feels congested.

I reckon disposal efficiencies would be lower on the SCG than any other ground (albeit I have no stats to back that up).

So whilst our forward entries weren’t great, when the pressure was on early, it wasn’t surprising.

It seemed that after half time when Florent and Blakey started running through half-interested Saints, things really improved in that regard.

I still maintain that games at the SCG tend to be scrappy & not free-flowing - and ground dimensions must surely play a part. It always just looks and feels congested.
Literally night and day. The dew means more fumbles, fewer clean possessions.

The extra width of the ground plays a part because the fumbly scramble goes sideways instead of forwards.

Can’t put my finger on it...but the whole game seemed almost Reserves standard outside ofa few hihlights....Buddy’s field kicking early, Warner’s effort to cover Parker after his ‘knock’, Stephen’s dash, Florent played well...not much else.

I reckon disposal efficiencies would be lower on the SCG than any other ground (albeit I have no stats to back that up).

So whilst our forward entries weren’t great, when the pressure was on early, it wasn’t surprising.

It seemed that after half time when Florent and Blakey started running through half-interested Saints, things really improved in that regard.
The SCG is the same size as the Gabba While being bigger than Marvel.
In area. Its right in the middle by size of the grounds the AFL uses.

The camera angle is terrible. Makes it look congested.

The Saints' Board reaction was best summarised by the following comment

"You don’t have to be a dwarf to be burned by this club."
Also loved the comment on the MB that the Saints dropped it in Paddy Mac's lap more times yesterday than the whole time he played for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back