MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Good bloke rule applies again. NFI how that bump only gets 4 weeks.

Runs past the ball, has no impact on the play, intentionally bumps opposition player in the head and causes a concussion.

Had to be a 6 week suspension.
That is bizarre. 4 weeks was right and he will do the time, it astounds me that some football fans light on in the intelligence side of things always want more blood, everyone knows this was a correct call by the Tribunal, but some fans want to see Stewart hung, drawn and quarted for it. Stewart made a mistake, he didn't king hit anyone, this was no Gaff or Barry Hall type of hit, nor did he push an umpire!

He actually walked into the umpire and fully deserved the whack he got for it. Umpire contact is not remotely comparable to incidents between players.

Yet Hawkins remonstrates with an umpire in an aggressive manner, pushes the umps hand away and only gets one. If umpire contact is such a no-no, why 5 weeks difference between the two?

That is bizarre. 4 weeks was right and he will do the time, it astounds me that some football fans light on in the intelligence side of things always want more blood, everyone knows this was a correct call by the Tribunal, but some fans want to see Stewart hung, drawn and quarted for it. Stewart made a mistake, he didn't king hit anyone, this was no Gaff or Barry Hall type of hit, nor did he push an umpire!

Just because everyone expected him to get 4, doesn't mean it was the right call...

Not correct. There is no requirememt for fear. Simply unwanted touching is all it takes to be an assault charge. And if you simply touch an old person you can go to court and face a jury for a serious assault charge. The law is insane.

I don’t think you are on the right track here Seeds.

As you can see below, the assault you are talking about either requires the victim to fear immediate unlawful violence, or it requires unlawful physical force.

Touching a male umpire on the chest or arm with no force and no threat would not even come close to meeting the minimum requirements for proving a common assault.

The unwanted touching you raised I presume is in regard to sexual assault? You would probably have to touch an umpire in a forbidden area of the body to to bring that one into play.

How Do You Prove Assault in Australia? | What the Police Must Prove in Court​

You will be guilty of common assault if the prosecution can prove each of the following elements beyond reasonable doubt in court:

1. You did something without consent, which caused the victim to either fear immediate and unlawful violence (where there was no physical force applied) or caused the victim unlawful physical force; and
  2. You did this either:
    1. Recklessly: where you realised the possibility of causing this, but did it anyway; or
    2. Intentionally: where you intended to cause this.

which is a 3-4 week crime. not a 6 week crime. Name a single player who got 6 weeks for running past the ball, bumping a player in the head and giving them concussion?

the answer is zero. Its zero.

All players who have been done for those sort of weeks had elbows raised, swung hail marys or broke players jaws.

And before there was a precedent?

Also, since when does a punishment need to be the same as crimes of years gone bye?

Is this the biggest collective supporter meltdown over a H&A game in recent time? I'm struggling to come up with something better than this one. It's almost Wednesday but it's showing no signs of slowing down.
It’s because Cats players keep knocking out Tiger players
Twice in the last four games - stop it!

I honestly don’t care too much if Stewart got 2, 3 or 4 weeks

I just don’t want any Tiger players knocked out the next time we meet Cats.

It’s because Cats players keep knocking out Tiger players
Twice in the last four games - stop it!

I honestly don’t care too much if Stewart got 2, 3 or 4 weeks

I just don’t want any Tiger players knocked out the next time we meet Cats.
That's a reasonable I guess. I'll have a word with the boys.

:smilev1:

Is this the biggest collective supporter meltdown over a H&A game in recent time? I'm struggling to come up with something better than this one. It's almost Wednesday but it's showing no signs of slowing down.
The servers haven't overloaded yet, so I guess they aren't hard enough at it. :laughv1:

If he "mistakingly" bumps someone again he should get an increased penalty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely believe Tom Stewart is not a bad bloke and did not mean for what happened but the reality is he deliberately laid a shot on Prestia intentionally and therefore it should've been 6 weeks in my books.

A few concussion experts saying the 4 weeks is not enough.
Watch this space, AFL may appeal decision.
I know a groundkeeper at a golf course in Ipswich who thinks 4 weeks was just right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back