Autopsy Collingwood Ducks v Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game. The players were gassed
I then ask why flood back?

Why not keep some semblance of a structure and either try to move the ball forward or to a contest?

Perfect storm, tired players and a coach that set up to allow the opposition to repeatedly bring it back inside 50.

Never going yo end well and didn’t.

All he needed to do was hold his nerve for half if the quarter and then build the dam wall if we maintained that lead, but nit from the start of the quarter.

I then ask why flood back?

Why not keep some semblance of a structure and either try to move the ball forward or to a contest?

Perfect storm, tired players and a coach that set up to allow the opposition to repeatedly bring it back inside 50.

Never going yo end well and didn’t.

All he needed to do was hold his nerve for half if the quarter and then build the dam wall if we maintained that lead, but nit from the start of the quarter.

Didn’t help that they put their seasoned players back into the middle and they started winning clearance

There were 5-6 times where we could have transitioned out of the D50 into the forward line and actually out some score board pressure on which would have won it but we tried to slow the game down and went back into our shells.

We are clearly not confident we can win > fitness and running out games. But yeah if we we just played on and took some risks
That was my whole issue.

They played great footy for 3/4’s, which got the the lead, and the totally changed in the last.

They had to be instructed to play that way. It was a total shift in game style.

Didn’t help that they put their seasoned players back into the middle and they started winning clearance
That’s footy.

My whole point was that we didn’t give ourselves the best opportunity to win the game.

It was no coincidence that Howe who struggled for 3/4’s of the game, because he was forced to defend, dominated the last.

Changing the forward structure gave them the loose to keep winning it back and drive it back into their forward half.

That’s not a great result for a tiring team to try and prevent slick ball movement.

Hang on, do I read this correctly? "A good coach, sorry I will rephrase that, a decent coach would not have rolled players back after 3/4 time."

Are you suggesting that the type of play that got us the lead should have been rolled back to play like we have for the last 3 months?
No I’m suggesting that’s what he did.

He went back to the exact garbage that we have been doing for 3 months in the last where the priority was to stop the opposition from scoring and not score ourselves.

He lost his nerve.

Instead of going balls to the wall and trying to put the game to bed by scoring ourselves he tried to put the dam wall up and save it. All it did was allow Collingwood the ball and momentum and they gleefully took it and made us pay.

Some reflections upon watching the replay:

-For all of those who from this point forward in time continue to lay sh*t on BF whipping boys: Young, Anderso, Scott and Taylor, you people will be outing yourselves as having NFI about football. All played very well, stuck to their role, killed 50/50s and generally used their skills and smarts well

-Jed was excellent. So important to all aspects of keeping the middle together and cohesive. His field kicking, smarts and tackling were on show.

-Young probably played his best game of the year and will probably poll top 5-10 in the Syd.

-Taylor is a dead-eye with his vision and kicking. His overhead marking is excellent and he only needs to put on more mass for his ability to kill 50/50s on the wing to begin to pan out for him and the team.

-LDU is a certified jet and if he continues to kick on like this, he will be lining up as one of the starting AA mids in future. He playing like some sort of young hybrid of A.Stevens/P.Kelly/C.Judd. Just a brilliant game.

-I think we need to give Spicer a block of games to see how he can acclimate to the speed of AFL footy. Some of his lateral movement and speed through traffic was electric and his smart centring kicks in the forward line when there was little on offer really stood out.

-Stephenson is the replacement for Hall across HB. He has to play the rest of the year there. While he doesn't have the same power running in straight lines as Hall, he thinks his way through congestion to an elite level. Some of the those handball chains where he follows up his work streaming through the centre was excellent.

-Ziebell played well and bobbed up in important moments.

-Zurhaar, Curtis and Larkey were all dangerous and worked up the ground to great effect.

-McDonald and McKay demonstrated their supremacy in the air.

-Coleman-Jones may not bring the same direct tap ruck work that Xerri does, but he provides a much better aerial threat and link up play which has much more cohesion with the game we are trying to implement.

-Goldie played brilliantly wherever he was told to play.

- Flynn was serviceable and provided some good run. Showed neat skills and toughness. He is a defender first in my opinion.

-Lazz did some nice things, but didn't have much of an impact.

- Bonar is really the only player out there that may not have a long future at North. He is young and is playing as a defensive-utility, but he was outsmarted a few times during the game which was a bit of a worry. I think he makes way for Dawson when he is ready for the 1s.

-Powell is playing 3D chess while others play checkers, a bit like Cunnington and Pendlebury. He just does not yet have the tank to impact the game outside of clearance work.

-Simpkin was solid. He made a few howlers, but was glue like Greenwood that keeps things together. When Powell develops his body more or if/when Ben10 returns, I think Simpkin should play as a pure midfield negater and utility, protecting space for Powell, LDU and TT to cruise through space.

The players should hold their heads high.

Last edited:
Some reflections upon watching the replay:

-For all of those who from this point forward in time continue to lay sh*t on BF whipping boys: Young, Anderso, Scott and Taylor, you people will be outing yourselves as having NFI about football. All played very well, stuck to their role, killed 50/50s and generally used their skills and smarts well

-Jed was excellent. So important to all aspects of keeping the middle together and cohesive. His field kicking, smarts and tackling were on show.

-Young probably played his best game of the year and will probably poll top 5-10 in the Syd.

-Taylor is a dead-eye with his vision and kicking. His overhead marking is excellent and he only needs to put on more mass for his ability to kill 50/50s on the wing to begin to pan out for him and the team.

-LDU is a certified jet and if he continues to kick on like this, he will be lining up as one of the starting AA mids in future. He playing like some sort of young hybrid of A.Stevens/P.Kelly/C.Judd. Just a brilliant game.

-I think we need to give Spicer a block of games to see how he can acclimate to the speed of AFL footy. Some of his lateral movement and speed through traffic was electric and his smart centring kicks in the forward line when there was little on offer really stood out.

-Stephenson is the replacement for Hall across HB. He has to play the rest of the year there. While he doesn't have the same power running in straight lines as Hall, he thinks his way through congestion to an elite level. Some of the those handball chains where he follows up his work streaming through the centre was excellent.

-Ziebell played well and bobbed up in important moments.

-Zurhaar, Curtis and Larkey were all dangerous and worked up the ground to great effect.

-McDonald and McKay demonstrated their supremacy in the air.

-Coleman-Jones may not bring the same direct tap ruck work that Xerri does, but he provides a much better aerial threat and link up play which has much more cohesion with the game we are trying to implement.

-Goldie played brilliantly were he was told to play.

- Flynn was serviceable and provided some good run. Showed neat skills and toughness. He is a defender first in my opinion.

-Lazz did some nice things, but didn't have much of an impact.

- Bonar is really the only player out there that may not have a long future at North. He is young and is playing as a defensive-utility, but he was outsmarted a few times during the game which was a bit of a worry. I think he makes way for Dawson when he is ready for the 1s.

-Powell is playing 3D chess while others play checkers, a bit like Cunnington and Pendlebury. He just does not yet have the tank to impact the game outside of clearance work.

-Simpkin was solid. He made a few howlers, but was glue like Greenwood that keeps things together. When Powell develops his body more or if/when Ben10 returns, I think Simpkin should play as a pure midfield negater and utility, protecting space for Powell, LDU and TT to cruise through space.

The players should hold their heads high.
Bonar won some critical one on ones, particularly in the first three quarters. He’s best 22 if his body can hold up. No doubt in my mind.

led through 3 qtrs on talent and dominating clearances

we got tired but didn't have the embedded structures to fall back on that other teams do

proud of the efforts. the boys had a real crack today but we desperately need a cohesive system to get the most out of our players, who have plenty of talent

i refuse to believe that anyone can watch that today and think talent is our issue. it's just not and it's as simple as that

My good mate is a North fan so I watch a fair amount of North games.

Incredible how much better players can look when you give them a chance with kicks through the corridor, overlap handballs and structure ahead of the ball so the ball carrier actually has something to kick to. Larkey looked like a gun again and you really took it up to an in form team.

Just shows how rubbish the previous 3 months has been and the issues are more game plan related. Stagnant, slow play and stacking the backline gave the team no chance to win and led to huge i50 differentials. Then there was playing Mckay forward when he's a gun full back...

This is on Noble and the coaching group. Though yes strength and conditioning and list management still have cases to answer for. I'm sure Noble would love to have another good key forward and key defender he could call up to help Larkey and Mckay.

I'd almost go so far as to say old mate is a faux tough guy who lives to pick on easy targets.

Look, Stephenson's efforts there were undeniably poor, but there was 16 minutes of game time left, and if even one of the many shanked kicks, missed tackles, bad decisions or silly frees in that 16 minutes went the other way, we might have hung on. To pin it all - sorry, "almost" pin it all - on one bloke is lazy and cheap.

My good mate is a North fan so I watch a fair amount of North games.

Incredible how much better players can look when you give them a chance with kicks through the corridor, overlap handballs and structure ahead of the ball so the ball carrier actually has something to kick to. Larkey looked like a gun again and you really took it up to an in form team.

Just shows how rubbish the previous 3 months has been and the issues are more game plan related. Stagnant, slow play and stacking the backline gave the team no chance to win and led to huge i50 differentials. Then there was playing Mckay forward when he's a gun full back...

This is on Noble and the coaching group. Though yes strength and conditioning and list management still have cases to answer for. I'm sure Noble would love to have another good key forward and key defender he could call up to help Larkey and Mckay.
100%

It was just a pity they didn’t continue with that game plan for 4 instead of 3 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephenson needs to be given kg goals for the off season.

He simply needs more size for a bloke that has been in the system as long as he has.
If not size he needs more core strength. He's brushed off the ball too easily and needs more strength to allow him to stick tackles or break free.

Hopefully the new strength and conditioning team will help him a lot.

Looks like that premiership coach Hardwick also ‘allowed’ his team to lose last night after being 40 points up……

It happens in modern footy!

We’ve all been screaming for effort and glimpses of improvement and then we finally see it and lo and behold, some of us still can’t get any joy from it.

I heard Fyfe say yesterday it took them 2 years to learn Longmuir’s game plan and then it started to gel.

Let’s see what Walsh’s review brings…. in the meantime let LDU’s performance bring a smile to your face :)

Yes Danni_B, indeed LDU does!!

And also yes, your post is entirely correct.

It's fair to say I don't handle North losing all the well, whether it's by 1 point or 100 points...lol

Should never have lost that. We went to sleep about half way through the 3rd quarter and they took the game. Can’t pin this one on the coach.

I maintain it must be a mental/confidence issue, not a fitness one.

When we fold up we really fold up extremely badly, I actually can't think of one game this year where we haven't completely gone to asleep for a significant period of the game.

If it was always the last quarter then sure, fitness and/or gameplan may be the problem but I think it has to be more than as it's both first quarters and last quarters where it's happened.

Could be a combination of factors.

When we fold up we really fold up extremely badly, I actually can't think of one game this year where we haven't completely gone to asleep for a significant period of the game.

If it was always the last quarter then sure, fitness and/or gameplan may be the problem but I think it has to be more than as it's both first quarters and last quarters where it's happened.

Could be a combination of factors.

Have you watched it yet?

I'm not saying that we don't have mental toughness questions, however yesterday was 100% about fitness.

100%.

100%

It was just a pity they didn’t continue with that game plan for 4 instead of 3 quarters.
Don't you think that Collingwood had a bit to do with that? Everyone talks about game plans but forget that there are two teams out there. Of course the last quarter looked different because Collingwood really increased their pressure. They are very good football team.

Too good to be true.

In previous weeks I don’t think I’ve noticed players cramping up late in games. I lost count seeing players in our team cramping up in the last quarter. Amazing how that can happen when the game is winnable.

Just goes to show you don’t have to win to show improvement and I think we’ve been waiting for this kind of performance all year.

In reality, wasn’t our performance practically a carbon copy of R4 against Sydney?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back