News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Upgraded Exhibition grounds pitched as temporary fortress for Brisbane Lions​

The ground where Don Bradman made his test debut could be used as the temporary home of the Brisbane Lions in an upgraded stadium while the Gabba undergoes a $1bn revamp. VOTE IN OUR POLL

3 min read
July 10, 2022 - 7:00PM
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news.../1e5a1605258df1e017f73affa101854b#share-tools

A boutique 20,000-plus seat stadium could soon be constructed at the Main Arena in the Brisbane Showgrounds to host AFL games and potentially Big Bash cricket fixtures.

With the Gabba set to be rebuilt for the Olympics for four years from 2025, a suitable alternative will be required - and the RNA has proposed its showgrounds as the ideal location for a “boutique stadium” in the inner-city.

The Main Arena is already confirmed to host Olympics equestrian show jumping and dressage in 2032, meaning an upgrade of the century-old venue is necessary anyway.

RNA chief executive Brendan Christou confirmed discussions were under way with both Stadiums Queensland and the Brisbane Lions.

RNA chief executive Brendan Christou at the Exhibition Showgrounds. Picture: John Gass/AAP
The Lions say the Exhibition Ground proposal ticked all the required boxes from its side.
“Obviously it’s a decision for the state government but we would love to have the opportunity,” Mr Christou said.
He said the Arena could already “squeeze in” a crowd of 20,000, even without what would be a necessary upgrade.
“There are heritage grandstands which are part of the charm and will have to remain or (be) built around, but from our perspective it’s all about the legacy,” he said.
“The Cross River Rail station is nearby and the King St precinct can provide food and beverages for the before and after experience.”

Brisbane Lions general manager for infrastructure Jake Anson said the football club supported the venue being its temporary home while the Gabba was redeveloped.

Mr Anson said the best option was a stadium with enough seats to allow a large proportion of the club’s 42,000 members to regularly attend matches in a location that tied into the public transport system - and one that was an investment with a clear Olympics and legacy use.
“The Exhibition Ground ticks those boxes,” Mr Anson said.
“It has hosted Australian football for more than 100 years.”

Mr Anson confirmed the club was completing due diligence on the viability of the Exhibition Ground hosting its AFL matches - and that “plans indicate that an AFL-level oval can be accommodated there”.
“Lions fans want to see us play in Brisbane,” he said.
“Brisbane must continue to stage sports events leading into the Olympic Games.”

But Mr Anson said another alternative was that the Lions’ new headquarters, Brighton Homes Arena at Springfield, could be expanded as an alternative host of its AFL home games during the four years the Gabba is rebuilt.
Queensland Cricket and Brisbane Heat chief executive Terry Svenson said it was considering several options to host matches, including the RNA Stadium proposal.

Mr Svenson applauded the state government’s vision in revamping the Gabba and precinct to create a “world class” venue for the Olympics and beyond.
“We are looking at all the options for where cricket can be staged while the Gabba is offline and Metricon Stadium, the newly redeveloped Allan Border Field and regional Queensland venues will all play a role,” Mr Svenson said.

“The RNA proposal is an option for cricket, but then so too are venues in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay.”
Mr Svenson said any investment in infrastructure needed to be considered and provide an appropriate return for sport for the short and long term.
“We’re looking forward to continuing the conversation around the possibilities for venues that will enable as many Queensland fans as possible to see their heroes in action during the cricket season,” he said.

The state government did not respond to specific questions regarding the RNA Showgrounds upgrades, with a spokeswoman only saying “every effort” would be made to accommodate the Gabba’s key partners once the construction timelines were confirmed.
She said early planning and design was under way for The Gabba redevelopment but that it was too early to say what the “event calendar for future years looks like”.

The RNA would certainly tick all the right boxes I would think. I’m not sure Brisbane City would like to lose both AFL and cricket to places like Gold Coast, Springfield or regional Qld.

Transport-wise it makes the most sense.

:think:

Swann said the Lions’ new Springfield training base was an also an option for home matches, as well as Cairns and Townsville.

However, he said the Lions were reluctant to play at Gold Coast venue Metricon Stadium, the home of the Suns. “Our people don’t go there – it’s too far away,” he said.

I agree Swanny that Nerang and surrounds area is an abomination hey BRAB, I would rather play in North QLD or go via Elon's SpaceX rocket to Mars.... probably quicker travel time by then.

I think Springfield would be as bad an option as Metricon or even maybe worse, really. Three or four years out there will be a big hit to our relevancy in the Brisbane market. It's a tricky one if they can't make the numbers work with RNA though - not sure what other options they have. But if the choice was between Springfield and Metricon, I think I'd choose Metricon.

Reading between the lines a bit it seems Swanny is angling for additional seating at Springfield. Grab it while they can out of the Olympics money pot and be left with the asset afterwards. Might happen but my money is on the RNA which will attract Brisbane City Council and possibly Cricket support. It's more central and accessible from the North and East.
Metricon is just a no go zone for me. Two hour slog to get there and then either sit behind the goals or stare straight into the Western Sun.
I would go to Springfield for a special game but not regularly. Its 1.30 hrs by Public transport or car from the Northside.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading between the lines a bit it seems Swanny is angling for additional seating at Springfield. Grab it while they can out of the Olympics money pot and be left with the asset afterwards. Might happen but my money is on the RNA which will attract Brisbane City Council and possibly Cricket support. It's more central and accessible from the North and East.
Metricon is just a no go zone for me. Two hour slog to get there and then either sit behind the goals or stare straight into the Western Sun.
I would go to Springfield for a special game but not regularly. Its 1.30 hrs by Public transport or car from the Northside.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think they actively don't want extra seating at Springfield though - Jake Anson has been clear a few times about not wanting to build a stadium too big there that will then detract from the atmosphere at AFLW games that are only 1/4 or so full.

I think they actively don't want extra seating at Springfield though - Jake Anson has been clear a few times about not wanting to build a stadium too big there that will then detract from the atmosphere at AFLW games that are only 1/4 or so full.

Whiting said this was the impression he got from the club on this week's the roar deal

I think Springfield would be as bad an option as Metricon or even maybe worse, really. Three or four years out there will be a big hit to our relevancy in the Brisbane market. It's a tricky one if they can't make the numbers work with RNA though - not sure what other options they have. But if the choice was between Springfield and Metricon, I think I'd choose Metricon.
I think the club needs to be careful not to denigrate Springfield as an option. They've just had governments spend tens of millions on it and they don't want to start the talk that it is too remote. More importantly, it will also be the long term home ground of the women's team and they can't be seen to be saying it's unsatisfactory for the men but ok for the women.

I honestly think the solution will be whatever Cricket can convince the government to do. We'll just be riding on their coattails.

Are we eligible for any compo from the gummant/olympic committee for the inevitable loss of memberships/ticket sales/corporate capacity etc, etc during the rebuild, or is it just a case of 'suck it up, princess'?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The demolition and rebuild of the Gabba as the main venue for the 2032 Olympic Games may be abandoned as the state government conducts a report into why it would spend a fortune on a new stadium for just 8000 extra seats.

The Gabba currently has a capacity of 42,000 and this would go to 50,000 for the new stadium.

Don't know why they keep quoting capacity at 42k as we all know it is more in the vicinity of 36-37k. Not sure that is going to be enough seats for the main stadium. Need to pull their finger out soon as 10 years goes very quickly as I have found out multiply times (x 6+)

also from the article

WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE GABBA?​

● Potential cost blowout from $1bn to as high as $2.5bn

● Increased footprint to accommodate running track would force Vulture and Stanley streets beneath the stadium

● Would only grow capacity by 8000 seats

● Relocation of the Brisbane Lions AFL club and Test cricket during construction

● Expensive land resumptions

● Could be a CFMMEU worksite, potentially pushing costs out further

ALTERNATIVES TO THE GABBA​

● Develop a 50,000-seat stadium at Albion Park racetrack or Doomben racecourse

● Use Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies and the athletics for the 2018 Commonwealth Games

● Hold the opening and closing ceremonies on the Brisbane River, as Paris is doing in 2024 with the Seine.

In some ways, I don't disagree i.e. the cost v extra seats is ludicrous, but is there any reason why they weren't ever going to a minimum of 60,000 seat stadium, if not more or is that even on the table to make the overall cost palatable? Space could be an issue, but I often thought that a 50,000 seat stadium would be one of the smaller Olympic Stadiums that I can recall.

Lol, the SFS just got knocked down and completely rebuilt for billions to drop its capacity by 5000.

These days it's about the experience rather than filling it out - the capacity only matters a couple of times a year, whereas getting a couple of thousand more in most weeks is a huge difference.

Lol, the SFS just got knocked down and completely rebuilt for billions to drop its capacity by 5000.

These days it's about the experience rather than filling it out - the capacity only matters a couple of times a year, whereas getting a couple of thousand more in most weeks is a huge difference.
Yeah understandable but the cost blowout which would largely be out of their control would be a big factor as well. 1.5B is a lot of money of course.

Cannot imagine the state government going away from the Gabba plan at this stage. They have so publicly committed to it as the centrepiece of their Olympics build, and it ties in with Cross River Rail perfectly.

If they built a new 50, 000 seat round stadium at Albion, obviously us and cricket would move there too, leaving the Gabba sitting there unused and Cross River Rail now ending up at a much more irrelevant site.

Gabba rebuild has to be $1.01 favourite still I think.

Cannot imagine the state government going away from the Gabba plan at this stage. They have so publicly committed to it as the centrepiece of their Olympics build, and it ties in with Cross River Rail perfectly.

If they built a new 50, 000 seat round stadium at Albion, obviously us and cricket would move there too, leaving the Gabba sitting there unused and Cross River Rail now ending up at a much more irrelevant site.

I'm happy for cricket to move permanently to Albion Park.

Heard worse ideas than a 50K seater at Albion Park Trots site. How much it would be used apart from the olympics could be an issue tho.
If they build it, I'm sure we'd move there afterwards. They'd want a legacy for it and so there'd be a plan to shift football and cricket there.

I maintain that Woolloongabba itself would justify a train station even without the Gabba. It's a dense residential and commercial area that's getting ever more dense. Replacing the Gabba with parkland and a larger school would attract even more residents to the area, and businesses would follow suit.

But my preferred solution is simply, use the existing Gabba, and cram in a few more seats if possible. There is no rule I've seen stating that the Olympic stadium has to be any particular size, and their whole ethos going forward is about a more sustainable Olympics by using existing facilities where possible. Brisbane's venues are supposed to be 84% existing or temporary anyway rather than new builds, so what's one more existing facility also being reused?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back