Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but until about 2016-17 that same criticism could of been levied against Cotch
Different players. Cotchin was drafted at 86kg, the same weight he is now so always had the body to b-line the ball.
Sonsie is closer to 76kg, a smooth moving running mid who you don't want in the clinches because A he is not built for it, and B he is better value receiving the ball.

Different players. Cotchin was drafted at 86kg, the same weight he is now so always had the body to b-line the ball.
Sonsie is closer to 76kg, a smooth moving running mid who you don't want in the clinches because A he is not built for it, and B he is better value receiving the ball.
I think you're correct about that...atm. Moving forward, I don't see his lack of comparative size an issue. Edward and Bolton are not meataxes but are often used in the middle. Their strengths are their elusiveness, ability to read the play, quick hands and disposal. Sonsie could be similar and evolve into an inside/outside midfielder.

I have a great deal of time for Sonsie. He is a clever footballer with all the right attributes to become a competition star. Just needs time to develop.

I think you're correct about that...atm. Moving forward, I don't see his lack of comparative size an issue. Edward and Bolton are not meataxes but are often used in the middle. Their strengths are their elusiveness, ability to read the play, quick hands and disposal. Sonsie could be similar and evolve into an inside/outside midfielder.

I have a great deal of time for Sonsie. He is a clever footballer with all the right attributes to become a competition star. Just needs time to develop.

I think it helps he is a effective groundball player.

This is the problem with RCD, he tries to be a groundball player when that is not his relative forte and should focus on other aspects of his game playing different roles.

Sonsie is good enough low enough to be effective with the ground ball, first touch is good enough and skilled enough he looks a enticing prospect to me

he's certainly got inside characteristic , spending time in CBD ( dont see too many other first year players do that ) and his % of contested similar to dunkley tells me we got a good one here ! what i want to see is to recruit another MID of equal ability to come through at same time , that'll have us very well placed going forward to replace outgoing qty with incoming

he's certainly got inside characteristic , spending time in CBD ( dont see too many other first year players do that ) and his % of contested similar to dunkley tells me we got a good one here ! what i want to see is to recruit another MID of equal ability to come through at same time , that'll have us very well placed going forward to replace outgoing qty with incoming
Contested ball means getting in around the ball and because of his quick mind and hands he can clear it with skill. Does mean getting in and under like Cotchin or those inside bulls. As he gets stronger he will get more involved inside.

100% He will also be a running linking machine which means getting bigger and breaking tackles etc. What is most impressive is that playing in the most intense part of the ground he has yet to be collared or turned over the ball hastily. And the games are very intense at the pointy end of the season. That is so rare in the pressure of footy these days for a young player. Playing like a 3rd year player not a first.

Hes a better skilled version of parish imo, lightly built but a smooth mover with ball in hand. Has no issue finding it when hes playing mid either.

Love what im seeing

Hes a better skilled version of parish imo, lightly built but a smooth mover with ball in hand. Has no issue finding it when hes playing mid either.

Love what im seeing
Hopefully the comparison with Parish does not come to fruition given that he only runs one way.

I see Sonsie's upside as very much being a Dal Santo type where he's always the go to on the way out the stoppage. I'd argue he's probably doing too much inside work at the current, especially given he does not have the size to do it. We're garbage at the coalface so he has to right now but if he can become that second possession from the stoppage player in the long run the forwards would be creaming their dacks.

Think the knocks on his courage and work rate are a bit unfair given he's a first year player and I certainly haven't seen him shirk a contest like Patrick Naish used to for example. He tries to lay tackles at the moment and gets out muscled but hopefully that resolves with a few years on the pasta and in the weight room. I think he can look a bit laconic which does not help his cause, but there is definitely talent in spades.

Am i the only person that see's the Steele Sidebottom similarities with Sonsie

Am i the only person that see's the Steele Sidebottom similarities with Sonsie
Yeah definitely see that vintage Sidebottom comparison, not so much the last few seasons where he has played more on the wing but when he played a lot more in the middle

Both just have that ability to find the ball and use it well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s so much more involved in the contest at the footy than sidearse. Good player Sidearse but so outside

At his peak he was good inside and out. Had a few seasons where he was a top 10 player.

The pies can certainly draft mids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch Cotchin from 08 to 15 and you will see he was not as hard edged or courageous as he has been the last 5 years. Anyone disagreeing with my original statement is suffering from recency bias.

The fact that Cotchin can have such a stark and dramatic turnaround in his aggression means that it is possible for Sonsie to develop it once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.

STFU.

He won the ******* brownlow
Winning the Brownlow does not equal courage. * me, the original post was about Sonsie's courage not ability. Cotchin back when he won the Brownlow was a huge accumulator of the ball and a very good distributor but he wasnt the crash and bash he is today.

Winning the Brownlow does not equal courage. * me, the original post was about Sonsie's courage not ability. Cotchin back when he won the Brownlow was a huge accumulator of the ball and a very good distributor but he wasnt the crash and bash he is today.

The argument cotchin was not hard at it until 2017 is a very poor one

The argument cotchin was not hard at it until 2017 is a very poor one
Never said he was Cale Morton (or whoever the Melbourne player that ran away from the ruckman was) level of soft. What I ment was that in 2017 it was a stark contrast to earlier in his career. 2017 was kamikaze all out attack all the time. Pre-17 he still had a hard edge to him but he didn't bring it to the max in full out attack like he has done in the last 5 odd years.

The overall point is that Sonsie, when he starts to gain some meat on the bones can develop that kamikaze attack.

strange impression considering the high% of contested ball he accumulates , more appropriate if like <10% than his reality of 41% which is where best Inside mids run at

im sorry but that poster was spot on, Cotchin developed his ultimate play style later on.

No he didn't. Cotchin was always as hard as a cats head, the issue with his game which actually become more prevalent after winning the brownlow albeit overstated was he would get too much easy ball and wasn't doing a lot damage with it. He then basically cut that out of his game completely and focused more on the crash and bash elements of his game that would lift the team.

To say he didn't have it in his game before 2017 is utter tripe in a long list of tripe that is often spoken about Cotchin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back