News Adelaide Crows Camp Allegations and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly the AFC wasn't blindsided because we continued to work with them after the camp

They did exactly what we wanted them to do

Heck, how did they get the player's phone numbers in the first place?
I’m not trying to deflect blame on the club. There is definitely fault somewhere along the line, particularly with Eddie.

But the meat of the story should be about CM and what they did to affect the players. It would be unlikely for the AFC board to know every intricate details of what would occur pre-camp, and not necessarily know all the emotional outcomes post-camp.

Furthermore, if Eddie or anyone had mental illness or emotional trauma as a direct result of said camp, it would be up to their involved psychologist to know all the emotional outcomes. The club if knowing Betts suffered from trauma, should be feeling apologetic and then give him some time off. Which on looking back, Betts only had some time off due to hammies episodes in 2018.

So basically, there is still a lot of jump in logic to lay claim the club and all board members are entirely to blame.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to defect blame on the club. There is definitely fault somewhere along the line, particularly with Eddie.

But the meat of the story should be about CM and what they did to affect the players. It would be unlikely for the AFC board to know every intricate details of what would occur pre-camp, and not necessarily know all the emotional outcomes post-camp.

Furthermore, if Eddie or anyone had mental illness or emotional trauma as a direct result of said camp, it would be up to their involved psychologist to know all the emotional outcomes. The club if knowing Betts suffered from trauma, should be feeling apologetic and then give him some time off. Which on looking back, Betts only had some time off due to hammies episodes in 2018.

So basically, there is still a lot of jump in logic to lay claim the club and all board members are entirely to blame.
This hasn't forwarded the argument at all.

If the club was blindsided by CM we wouldn't have continued to use them.

We did, therefore we weren't.

The end.

They were also best mates which is a massive conflict. He reported to roo . In that press conference Burton arrogantly said that he could categorically say that no players had any issues from the camp! We now know that’s rubbish and if roo knew that at the time he’s culpable. If he didn’t then as the director of football he’s incompetent. Either way it’s untenable
Huh?

Correct. So then the next question is: what is actually his role as Director of Football bearing in mind, he is a volunteer? Does he actually have any real say in how the football department is run or is he the conduit between board and footy department?

He’s essentially the conduit between board and footy department.

In the same way a board might have someone experienced in HR able to interpret and advise the board regarding policies etc based on their expertise

The board hires senior executives, receives reports, oversees governance, and hold management to account.

They have no direct day to day role in operations.

They may well, and often do, sit on certain executive committees like audit, health & safety, remuneration etc. in this case Roo probably sits on the list management committee, but he wouldn’t sit in on selection for example

Go back to before it all turned to s**t. Do you think a pre season footy camp - and they do them every single year - has to be ratified by the board?
Of course not. The board heck ups were after they found out about it

Yes

Budgets alone dictate that there needs to be sign offs

Requirements for medical staff etc

Just consider this - they would have needed to get approval not to take the player welfare manager on the trip because it was Man Time and she'd only get in the way

The budget for this would normally be part of the annual approval process, unless it was significantly outside the normal bounds. Which it might have been?

Medical/player welfare staff type stuff would normally be the sort of operational decision not for the board, but the board might be informed if it was considered a governance matter

In general though, the board would be informed but not asked for approval.

It’s a part time, voluntary position on the board.
But it’s called the director of football?? That’s more than simply a board role no ? Also it doesn’t change the fact that he was the main driver in hiring Burton as he’s best mates . I’ve heard this from multiple sources

But it’s called the director of football?? That’s more than simply a board role no ? Also it doesn’t change the fact that he was the main driver in hiring Burton as he’s best mates . I’ve heard this from multiple sources

No, that’s what a director is.

The term is often misused for things like finance directors who aren’t really directors.

In terms of fact, I’d say multiple sources are repeating the same nonsense. No one knows if he even sat in or recused himself

What you’re accusing the entire board of is sitting by idly and a dereliction of their fiduciary duties. Shouldn’t you have some evidence for that?

3 weeks before Burton was appointed Roo was on MMM and telling how they are close friends, he went away with Burton and their large extended families and that Burton wanted to come home. Well what do you know? We remove our fitness head and replace him Roos close mate who had a dodgy record at Brisbane. All coincidence of course and Roo had nothing to do with his appointment.

Throw in the numerous foot in mouth moments from Roo, his conflicting role in the media and given his standing at the club, he's just not a run of the mill director.

3 weeks before Burton was appointed Roo was on MMM and telling how they are close friends, he went away with Burton and their large extended families and that Burton wanted to come home. Well what do you know? We remove our fitness head and replace him Roos close mate who had a dodgy record at Brisbane. All coincidence of course and Roo had nothing to do with his appointment.

Throw in the numerous foot in mouth moments from Roo, his conflicting role in the media and given his standing at the club, he's just not a run of the mill director.
I agree with this. Because of his standing in the club, he probably gets away with more than your run of the mill voluntary director. Like I said the other day, he contacts prospective families of players that Hamish has shown an interest in. Not sure that that’s his role, but he does it none the less. who Knows what the board was run like under Chapman, but I suspect Olsen won’t accept any nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree but one of the biggest myths of any club is that everyone like each other's.

There would be at least a few at the club that don't think much of Tex but that's no different to any other club or player.
I was told years ago that Tex isn't/wasn't the most popular guy at the club (the popular guy was Sloane and maybe why they made the switch?), he tended to have his country lad clique a bit, but there was one thing universal among nearly every player at the club and that was when he was firing Tex lifted the side like no one else could and made every single player believe they could win a game. When Tex was up and about every player stood taller with him (which may have also been a downfall when he played bad, the other players felt we weren't as much of a chance to win?)

I agree with this. Because of his standing in the club, he probably gets away with more than your run of the mill voluntary director. Like I said the other day, he contacts prospective families of players that Hamish has shown an interest in. Not sure that that’s his role, but he does it none the less. who Knows what the board was run like under Chapman, but I suspect Olsen won’t accept any nonsense.
I mean, that might be a bonus when you're trying to get guys like Dawson who grew up idolizing the guy to the club. Might be less so interesting for others interstate who don't care about the Crows, though they may have parents who watched the guy that he can relate to a bit more.

No, that’s what a director is.

The term is often misused for things like finance directors who aren’t really directors.

In terms of fact, I’d say multiple sources are repeating the same nonsense. No one knows if he even sat in or recused himself

What you’re accusing the entire board of is sitting by idly and a dereliction of their fiduciary duties. Shouldn’t you have some evidence for that?
Not the board in total only roo . He has conflicts everywhere and I have a pretty close source to know was heavily influencing in buttons appointment which was a major conflict given his friendship. Also he’s not only a board member but also has the title of director of football. If he’s not across a camp for all of our team in that capacity then why have a separate title? Should just be a board member

Of course not. The board * ups were after they found out about it
This is how II see it.

Have no real issue with the Board not knowing the exact details of the camp before and during it. This is day to day operations.

The reason why Roo and the other Board members should be stood down is how it was handled after the event.

Deny, cover up, deny again was the strategy.

There is no way the Board was not part, and most likely approved, the way they handled the fall out.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not the board in total only roo . He has conflicts everywhere and I have a pretty close source to know was heavily influencing in buttons appointment which was a major conflict given his friendship. Also he’s not only a board member but also has the title of director of football. If he’s not across a camp for all of our team in that capacity then why have a separate title? Should just be a board member

The only truth we know is Burton was appointed with a friendship bias. There are a lot of accusations and assumptions flying around about roo but there is very little substance. Everyone thinks he knew, should have known or was involved in the cover up. This is why Roo should be making a statement outlining his role before, after and during and talking about what he knew and to what levels, plus what did he do to fix it and ensure it would never happen again. Silence is only going to make the suspicion stronger and backfire.

I'm curious if its the same posters having a crack at the media now are the same ones who had a crack at the media and labelled the camp a media beat up.

Are we just the unlucky club that gets hammered by the media for no reason?
I'm curious if you think the Victorian football media represent and report news stories relating to Adelaide the same as other clubs? Do you think they are objective and balanced in their reporting?

I'm curious if you think the Victorian football media represent and report news stories relating to Adelaide the same as other clubs? Do you think they are objective and balanced in their reporting?
I think as a club we’ve given them so much ammunition that it looks like they are persecuting us. Not only the hecks but the poor way we’ve handled it and during that process we have criticised the media, which only makes them go harder and bites us on the arse as it has now.

But we have posters dismissing any form of Vic media criticism and we are seeing it again now.

I think as a club we’ve given them so much ammunition that it looks like they are persecuting us. Not only the *s but the poor way we’ve handled it and during that process we have criticised the media, which only makes them go harder and bites us on the arse as it has now.

But we have posters dismissing any form of Vic media criticism and we are seeing it again now.

I don't think its the reporting its the way they report. Its over the top and its designed to fit a narrative.

I think as a club we’ve given them so much ammunition that it looks like they are persecuting us. Not only the *s but the poor way we’ve handled it and during that process we have criticised the media, which only makes them go harder and bites us on the arse as it has now.

I don't disagree that we've given them above average ammunition, so I've got no issue with them reporting things based on the facts that are known (fancy journalism based on facts!).

But you'd have to acknowledge that the nature in which many of the Victorian footy media (not all, in fairness) report issues relating to our club is at worst almost vindictive, or at best has a strong hint of cynicism and/or patronising tone to it.

From a journalistic standpoint, an above average number of things to report on our club shouldn't give them license to lose their objectivity and professionalism.

Tex is reading Club lines like he has been for four years. Admit a little bit but say it was great for you and club has moved on; strategy of minimization because they can no longer deny. It’s BS. Love Tex but he’s being a team player here when maybe some more brutal honesty needed about hurt caused by club administration including Roo.
Why is that more honest than what he said?

It sounds like most there had a similar response to Tex, but they acknowledge the hurt that Jenkins and Betts felt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back