Workshop Jumper Ideas For 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon is a classic example of the work that goes into producing jumpers.
They have a Home jumper which is different to last year as it features Red on the collar and cuffs and an Away jumper which is the same, but with the sponsors reversed (Fujitsu & Amart).
This year they've also had jumpers for: Clash (Red), Country Round (patch above AFL), Anzac (Poppies), Indigenous, Heritage (thin sash) and now Challenge for Cancer (Yellow Cuff).
All had to be made in every jumper number, in the correct size, with two of each.

Essendon is a classic example of the work that goes into producing jumpers.
They have a Home jumper which is different to last year as it features Red on the collar and cuffs and an Away jumper which is the same, but with the sponsors reversed (Fujitsu & Amart).
This year they've also had jumpers for: Clash (Red), Country Round (patch above AFL), Anzac (Poppies), Indigenous, Heritage (thin sash) and now Challenge for Cancer (Yellow Cuff).
All had to be made in every jumper number, in the correct size, with two of each.
I've also noticed other things that are a bit odd. For some reason on Fox broadcasts, the player "goal pose" (the still photo they display after a goal is scored on the broadcast) seems to use an old/different guernsey to the current one, not displaying the collar or cuffs with piping.

1660514544223.png

I've also noticed other things that are a bit odd. For some reason on Fox broadcasts, the player "goal pose" (the still photo they display after a goal is scored on the broadcast) seems to use an old/different guernsey to the current one, not displaying the collar or cuffs with piping.
They probably recycle these promo shots for a few years.

so while other clubs wear strips from the 80s and 90s, Port should break out a strip from the 1870s?
Their first away guernsey I mentioned is from the 90's. Also, that's not true about it being exclusively 80's and 90's. Sydney were wearing a retro guernsey from the 30's, last year. And Port already wore a guernsey from the 1900's, 2 years ago, and wore the magenta guernsey in 2004.

Last edited:
Their first away guernsey I mentioned is from the 90's. Also, that's not true about it being exclusively 80's and 90's. Sydney were wearing a guernsey from the 30's, this year. And Port already wore a guernsey from the 1900's, 2 years ago, and wore the magenta guernsey in 2004.
Sydney wore a strip from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. And that had nothing to do with retro round. Much like Port's prison bars, the red V is the jumper they wore for most of the 20th century and it's indelibly linked to their South Melbourne identity (though they also wore it in Sydney for several years.)

Sydney wore a strip from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. And that had nothing to do with retro round. Much like Port's prison bars, the red V is the jumper they wore for most of the 20th century and it's indelibly linked to their South Melbourne identity (though they also wore it in Sydney for several years.)
Not sure where you're getting this, "it's taboo to bring back a guernsey from the 19th century" from. Or, for retro round specifically you don't like the idea? Retro just means relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned, which fits the bill for the magenta uniform.

Not sure where you're getting this, "it's taboo to bring back a guernsey from the 19th century" from. Or, for retro round specifically you don't like the idea? Retro just means relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned, which fits the bill for the magenta uniform.
Because there's no one alive who has any attachment to a strip that was worn 150 years ago. It's ridiculous to suggest it as a compromise when Port supporters want to wear their iconic strip.

Because there's no one alive who has any attachment to a strip that was worn 150 years ago. It's ridiculous to suggest it as a compromise when Port supporters want to wear their iconic strip.
I never said anything about compromising or being against them wearing the prison bars in AFL. You're arguing against yourself there. Also, Port were going to wear their 1870's strip from 150 years ago, 2 years ago, until covid happened. So, if they were going to do that, why not bring back their magenta uniform they won their early premierships in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1475418
A jumper that allows Port to celebrate all of its history from 1870 to 2022.
I know this is a bit of a joke... but not the worst idea come to think of it. I think the Cleveland Cavaliers did a similar thing in the NBA a couple of years back where they mashed up all their throwback jerseys. Even mashing up the old SBS with the PBs and making a half/half guernsey would be out there but kind of cool.

I know this is a bit of a joke... but not the worst idea come to think of it. I think the Cleveland Cavaliers did a similar thing in the NBA a couple of years back where they mashed up all their throwback jerseys. Even mashing up the old SBS with the PBs and making a half/half guernsey would be out there but kind of cool.
Canterbury-Bankstown also did a similar thing in 2015 with the Butchers Hoops combined with the Yoke and Chevron jersey

bulldogs15heritagefront.jpg

I’d like to see Brisbane roll out a maroon jumper with the navy yoke and white lion, just for something different. Echoing the earlier Fitzroy jumpers.

I did something like that at the start of the year along with a ‘V yoke’ for 100 years since the 1922 premiership. Feels like a missed opportunity

IMG_6288.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I did something like that at the start of the year along with a ‘V yoke’ for 100 years since the 1922 premiership. Feels like a missed opportunity

View attachment 1487421

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That’s an upgrade on the current jumper for mine. Also creates greater clarity with GC.

No jumper idea here but I saw a Fremantle training with the players wearing the purple guernsey with black shorts or tights, looked awesome that combination of purple and black together, better than the all purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back