VFL vs GWS Giants, Blacktown International 20/8 12:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez GWS are in for a few years of pain if this is what they have coming through... Not much talent on the ground here.
O'Halloran looks OK. Think he is OOC this year. Ex Vic and St Bernards. Could be a handy pick up for any Vic club if he looks to come home.

back to the future great scott GIF

I don't know how it can't be 50 when the opponent kicks it 50 metres away when the whistle had already been blown.

O'Halloran looks OK. Think he is OOC this year. Ex Vic and St Bernards. Could be a handy pick up for any Vic club if he looks to come home.
Former Jets captain IIRC

Can't say that Schache hasn't had his chances with us.
I know he has and I’m not making excuses for him as when you’re on the fringe you just have to take your opportunities which he hasn’t been able to do. But you do have to feel for him a little bit that he’s thrown around a lot (like Young) and dropped straight away with no room for a quiet game like others are afforded.

He’s 24 he’s not the first 200cm bloke that takes til 24 to find his feet, he’s actually younger than English. He deserves a run at it which he probably won’t get with us, which is fair if Bruce comes back and we get Lobb, but I’m pretty confident he’ll go somewhere else that suits him and he’ll etch out a few 35-40 goal years

Former Jets captain IIRC

And a Bulldog bloodline. Grandson of Ron McCarthy, who played in the 1954 flag team as an 18yo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Keath hurt himself late, he looked very sore on the ground following a contest in their defensive 50 with a couple of minutes to go.

I haven't watched his two recent VFL games but Schache has now kicked 7 in each of them, so I was interested to read how our BF people assessed his performances.
Some say he's a talent that has been wasted at the WB. Others say he'll never make it as an AFL-level footballer.

For those who don't rate him the first game was discounted because it was against an easybeat side in Coburg. Today's performance is because it's against a side that is missing quite a few with injury - despite the fact that GWS are ahead of us on the ladder.

And of course, Josh is deemed incapable of making the step up to AFL level. This despite the fact that he's never been given more than five games in a row at the Dogs since his first season in 2018 (as an undeveloped 20yo) In the last couple of seasons he also seems to have been jerked around between roles, and instead is used as a general utility player rather than being allowed to settle in one position.

So I'm just wondering what more he should do at VFL level to make a favourable impression. Does he need to kick 10? 12? Maybe 15? And if it's so easy to do, how many other VFL players have kicked 7 against Coburg and/or GWS this year?*

I'm just reading a book called "Facts*" by Ed Coper where he says the big error we've made in trying to deal with misinformation and disinformation in the post-truth era is to think that facts should shape opinion and that opinions can be changed if met by facts and evidence to the contrary. He contends that it's the actually other way around. We shape our appreciation of the evidence in terms of the opinions we hold, i.e. the evidence needs to be shaped or interpreted to fit the opinion that is already held.

Couldn't help but LOL and think of so many debates on BF as I was reading that. This is one of them.

My opinion FWIW - and it's only an opinion - is that, handled correctly, Schache will make a good AFL footballer and could well kick 40-50 goals a year. Probably not in the role of the number 1 KPF for his side though. He could even make a useful intercepting defender. Alas it appears neither outcome will be with us. It is looking increasingly unlikely that he'll be at VUWO in 2023.

Farewell Josh, it's been nice knowing you. Hope you get a decent run at it wherever you end up.

* A: While one player has kicked 9 in one match and another kicked 8, no other player has kicked 7 or more goals twice in the VFL this year. (Sorry to have to add facts, couldn't help myself)

Absolutely. He just needs to go to a club that has a number 1 forward and a FWD/Ruck sorted so he can just play as the permanent 2nd forward.

I think he’s easily a 30-40 goal a year forward if he was given 22 games.
And if he doesn’t spend all preseason training as a defender and then find himself playing on a wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back