VFL vs GWS Giants, Blacktown International 20/8 12:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Later on in careers players often want to spend more time with their family definitely seems to me to be a family first person
AFL players only leave home about 4-5 hours a day when they play and train. It is not like the are FIFO 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off away in the Pilbara.

In fact, thinking about it I could not imagine a more family friendly job than being a AFL footballer. So much money and so much time at home

AFL players only leave home about 4-5 hours a day when they play and train. It is not like the are FIFO 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off away in the Pilbara.

In fact, thinking about it I could not imagine a more family friendly job than being a AFL footballer. So much money and so much time at home
They’ve just spent 2 years in hubs away from them

8 weeks off every year too - I doubt Keaths made anywhere near enough off his domestic cricket career and only one decent AFL contract, doesn’t have the personality to walk into a cushy media gig. I’d guess he will prolong his career as long as possible

I haven't watched his two recent VFL games but Schache has now kicked 7 in each of them, so I was interested to read how our BF people assessed his performances.
Some say he's a talent that has been wasted at the WB. Others say he'll never make it as an AFL-level footballer.

For those who don't rate him the first game was discounted because it was against an easybeat side in Coburg. Today's performance is because it's against a side that is missing quite a few with injury - despite the fact that GWS are ahead of us on the ladder.

And of course, Josh is deemed incapable of making the step up to AFL level. This despite the fact that he's never been given more than five games in a row at the Dogs since his first season in 2018 (as an undeveloped 20yo) In the last couple of seasons he also seems to have been jerked around between roles, and instead is used as a general utility player rather than being allowed to settle in one position.

So I'm just wondering what more he should do at VFL level to make a favourable impression. Does he need to kick 10? 12? Maybe 15? And if it's so easy to do, how many other VFL players have kicked 7 against Coburg and/or GWS this year?*

I'm just reading a book called "Facts*" by Ed Coper where he says the big error we've made in trying to deal with misinformation and disinformation in the post-truth era is to think that facts should shape opinion and that opinions can be changed if met by facts and evidence to the contrary. He contends that it's the actually other way around. We shape our appreciation of the evidence in terms of the opinions we hold, i.e. the evidence needs to be shaped or interpreted to fit the opinion that is already held.

Couldn't help but LOL and think of so many debates on BF as I was reading that. This is one of them.

My opinion FWIW - and it's only an opinion - is that, handled correctly, Schache will make a good AFL footballer and could well kick 40-50 goals a year. Probably not in the role of the number 1 KPF for his side though. He could even make a useful intercepting defender. Alas it appears neither outcome will be with us. It is looking increasingly unlikely that he'll be at VUWO in 2023.

Farewell Josh, it's been nice knowing you. Hope you get a decent run at it wherever you end up.

* A: While one player has kicked 9 in one match and another kicked 8, no other player has kicked 7 or more goals twice in the VFL this year. (Sorry to have to add facts, couldn't help myself)

If we make finals I would playing a Josh and it is not of the Bruce variety he is cooked this season.

It is not like they went off to France to fight the Germans for 2 years. They bounced between numerous cities and even had time to leave the family and party in the GC!
They were locked in hotels for months on end and only had their families there for the back end of the 1st season

They were locked in hotels for months on end and only had their families there for the back end of the 1st season
What’s his alternative though? He’s still going to have to make money somehow

He may decide to prioritise his body if it keeps breaking down who knows - it’s a guess either way. But I doubt it’s as simple a decision to quit footy to sit at home with his family when he’s been on pretty low wages most of his career

He may decide to prioritise his body if it keeps breaking down who knows - it’s a guess either way. But I doubt it’s as simple a decision to quit footy to sit at home with his family when he’s been on pretty low wages most of his career
He’s earned most likely over 3 million dollars in his sporting career seems like a switched on bloke and his wife might also have a good career

I'm just disappointed Alex Keath doesn't have a son named Keith Keath.

He’s earned most likely over 3 million dollars in his sporting career seems like a switched on bloke and his wife might also have a good career
I think he would be desperate to get another year or two on massive dollars (compared to us normal folk), as the life of an AFL footballer would be epic and extremely good for raising a child!

So let me get this straight. You reckon he is gonna retire to spend time with family and you are running with it? No facts or information, just the vibe??

I think he would be desperate to get another year or two on massive dollars (compared to us normal folk), as the life of an AFL footballer would be epic and extremely good for raising a child!
Given his output this year he won’t be on massive dollars. He went to Melbourne Grammar and has a degree in finance and commerce you think his former class mates won’t fall over themselves to offer him a job?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is explaining my thought process the vibe?
Okay. Good chat.

Disappear Homer Simpson GIF

This might be a surprise to you, but there are other professions outside of sport and sports media that pay very well. You don't need to make 500k+ a year to live well anyway.

This might be a surprise to you, but there are other professions outside of sport and sports media that pay very well. You don't need to make 500k+ a year to live well anyway.

Wow great addition, you really are a special kind aren’t ya scrag

He’s unlikely going to make a good living spending more time with his family, than he would playing AFL - which was the point of discussion - which you’d know If you had the ability to comprehend what you’re reading before having to stick ya 2c in

I haven't watched his two recent VFL games but Schache has now kicked 7 in each of them, so I was interested to read how our BF people assessed his performances.
Some say he's a talent that has been wasted at the WB. Others say he'll never make it as an AFL-level footballer.

For those who don't rate him the first game was discounted because it was against an easybeat side in Coburg. Today's performance is because it's against a side that is missing quite a few with injury - despite the fact that GWS are ahead of us on the ladder.

And of course, Josh is deemed incapable of making the step up to AFL level. This despite the fact that he's never been given more than five games in a row at the Dogs since his first season in 2018 (as an undeveloped 20yo) In the last couple of seasons he also seems to have been jerked around between roles, and instead is used as a general utility player rather than being allowed to settle in one position.

So I'm just wondering what more he should do at VFL level to make a favourable impression. Does he need to kick 10? 12? Maybe 15? And if it's so easy to do, how many other VFL players have kicked 7 against Coburg and/or GWS this year?*

I'm just reading a book called "Facts*" by Ed Coper where he says the big error we've made in trying to deal with misinformation and disinformation in the post-truth era is to think that facts should shape opinion and that opinions can be changed if met by facts and evidence to the contrary. He contends that it's the actually other way around. We shape our appreciation of the evidence in terms of the opinions we hold, i.e. the evidence needs to be shaped or interpreted to fit the opinion that is already held.

Couldn't help but LOL and think of so many debates on BF as I was reading that. This is one of them.

My opinion FWIW - and it's only an opinion - is that, handled correctly, Schache will make a good AFL footballer and could well kick 40-50 goals a year. Probably not in the role of the number 1 KPF for his side though. He could even make a useful intercepting defender. Alas it appears neither outcome will be with us. It is looking increasingly unlikely that he'll be at VUWO in 2023.

Farewell Josh, it's been nice knowing you. Hope you get a decent run at it wherever you end up.

* A: While one player has kicked 9 in one match and another kicked 8, no other player has kicked 7 or more goals twice in the VFL this year. (Sorry to have to add facts, couldn't help myself)

During that 5 game run, I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that this board would've been calling for him to be dropped after 3 of them.

During that 5 game run, I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that this board would've been calling for him to be dropped after 3 of them.
If you go look at them he always has one decent 2/3 goal game followed by a 1 goal 10 possession game then a less then 10 disposal 0 goal it’s not the coaches fault he can’t string together more then 5 decent games before throwing in an absolute howler

Schack drops too many marks he should take is about all it comes down to. Similar to Tom Boyd in that respect, IMO - does the work of getting to the right spot, gets both hands to the ball, but most times cant complete the catch under pressure.

Im not sure an extended run in the seniors is going to fix that.

Schack drops too many marks he should take is about all it comes down to. Similar to Tom Boyd in that respect, IMO - does the work of getting to the right spot, gets both hands to the ball, but most times cant complete the catch under pressure.

Im not sure an extended run in the seniors is going to fix that.
Small hands?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back