Unofficial Preview Hawthorn Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 32 - Jaxon Binns - Carlton
Carlton select Jaxon Binns

Carlton were looking for run and dash at this selection. Binns is an outside running machine who can break a line. He will add a nice element to Carlton's inside ball winning brigade. He would have Lachie O'Brien's wing in his cross hairs.

Think he is decent value here and was more a needs pick with several of my targets picked off in the past few selections.

Gollum next I believe

Last edited:
Pick 33 - Max Gruzewski - Fremantle
Fremantle select Max Gruzewski

After losing Lobb, Freo's Tall forward stocks look a little weak, with only Tabener, and a developing Amiss. (I don't rate Jackson or Darcy as forwards). Gruzewski will help boost their marking in the forward line which looks like the thing they need to help their push for the first flag.

BIGHAWK23 up next for GWS

Last edited:
Pick 34 - James Van Es - GWS
GWS select James Van Es

The need for GWS to have another young KPP is understated, and Van Es suits the need, a small reach at this pick, but an option to bring up Cadmans Vic Country teammate and add some much needed height down in defense is a no brainer in my opinion

Sorry again for the stuff up, im in another mock draft and im Hawthorn

Last edited:

Pick 36 - Anthony Munkara - St Kilda
Some time has passed so:

Pick 36 St Kilda select Anthony Munkara

Height: 186cm

Weight: 77kg

D.O.B: 03-10-2004

I considered quite a few players in this spot but no player grabbed me enough to turn down the upside of Munkara. Taking a KP player here would be nice but I still don't like taking Scully or Lemmey in this part of the draft.

Rookie Me Central Analysis

The sample size may be relatively small, but there is little doubting the extent of Munkara's talent. At his best, he can win games off his own boot with dynamic work inside forward 50, leaning on a wide range of skills and his athleticism to produce highlight reel plays.

He earned his SANFL Under 18s berth this season with a pair of games in the first two rounds, shaking off early nerves to boot four goals from 14 touches on debut. Between those outings, and his exciting showing for the AFL Academy, Munkara looked every bit a top-end prospect.

Among the traits on display were his speed and goal sense, as well as the ability to pull off a range of kicks off both feet from all angles and distances, and the strength to fend off opponents while being tackled - just ask Collingwood's Arlo Draper. Nearing the 190cm mark, he fares well aerially too.

Even while warming up, there's a sense of excitement around what Munkara can do. He seems like a genuine entertainer who thrives on showing off to the crowd just what he's capable of.

The 17-year-old looks at home up forward, but also played in the ruck for Westminster College, such is his explosive athletic ability. On the odd play he would take the ball from the ruck, land like a cat, and take off with running bounces and one-two chains before setting his sights on goal.

Though there is plenty to like about his game, there are also a range of question marks left to answer. Since his five-disposal, three-mark outing for the Allies, Munkara did not return to the representative or SANFL scene for the rest of the season, leaving a gap in his top-age development.

In terms of improvement to be made, building an endurance base and lifting his consistency levels are two which can be worked on in elite environments. His limited exposure at high levels leaves him as a raw prospect who has an enormous skillset, but will have to figure out how to best utilise it in a more restrictive AFL system.

Pick 37 - Jakob Ryan - Port Adelaide
My time to shine.

Port to select Jakob Ryan. Write up to come.

Why?

1) Mullet
2) Kenny won't let me draft anything other than a skinny half back flanker
3) I think like our own William Day he has flown under the radar.

Reminds me a lot of Day. Skinny SA kid and will need some time to fill in his 189cm frame but with tremendous upside. Like Day he has a great footy brain from what I've seen. Gets himself in great positions to intercept and is strong overhead. Can play forward, middle and back. Like Day, has the speed and agility to run and carry and good distribution by hand and foot. Came 6th in the 2km trial at the combine so has the tank to hopefully one day push up the ground where I could see him becoming a decent wingman.

It was a toss up between Ryan and Lemmey as the 2 best South Australians left for me. Lemmy as a KPP fills a bigger need but I couldn't go past the upside of Ryan.

Last edited:
Pick 38 - Sam Gilbey - Melbourne
Melbourne select Sam Gilbey.

Melbourne’s ladder position and team strength I think again allow them a riskier selection.

Gilbey has had his issues with injury and health but has shown some good signs, including a 31 disposal game against Swan Districts, unfortunately broke or fractured a leg (?) in the very next hit out.

Good speed, agility and aerial work on top of his great disposal make him a good selection for the future and with his injury/health the Demons list gives him a good opportunity to get his body right and time to make it at the top level.

Assuming that Brisbane are out I think we have BurnaHawks for the Doggies?

Pick 35 St Kilda bid on Max Michalaney

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

Will assume bid matched?
Sorry for being quite late. You considered the possibility of a bid match, and I do match the bid, so moving on and choosing Munkara was the right decision. TDS7 What does this mean for St. Kilda's draft hand and my draft hand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To clear up what's happened with bids

Brisbane match Ashcroft at pick 2
Need 2014 points after discount
Picks 34, 35, 36, 38 = 2031 points
17 point surplus = pick 73 added (between Fremantle's and Sydney's 4th round selections, previously picks 75 and 76)

Essendon match Davey at pick 24
Need 588 points after discount
Picks 44 and 48 (previously 48 and 52) = 664 points
76 point surplus = pick 67 added between North and GC's 4th round picks (previously 70 and 71)

Brisbane match Fletcher at pick 25
Need 559 points after discount
Picks 51, 69, 72 = 327 points
Brisbane take 232 point deficit to 2023

Adelaide match bid on Michalaney at 35
Need 325 points after discount
Pick 45 (previously 46) = 347 points
22 point surplus = pick 72 added between Freo's 4th round and North's 5th round picks (previously 76 and 77)

All of this makes the remaining order

40. North Melbourne
41. Hawthorn
42. Sydney Swans
43. North Melbourne
44. Fremantle
45. Gold Coast Suns
46. St Kilda
47. Carlton
48. Collingwood
49. Richmond
50. Essendon
51. Adelaide
52. GWS Giants
53. Geelong Cats
54. Adelaide
55. Port Adelaide
56. GWS Giants
57. Essendon
58. Richmond
59. Geelong Cats
60. Hawthorn
61. Carlton
62. Fremantle
63. Essendon
64. Western Bulldogs
65. North Melbourne
66. Essendon
67. Gold Coast Suns
68. Essendon
69. Gold Coast Suns
70. Sydney Swans
71. Fremantle
72. Adelaide
73. North Melbourne
74. West Coast Eagles
75. GWS Giants
76. Essendon
77. Adelaide
78. Hawthorn
79. Gold Coast Suns
80. Port Adelaide
81. St Kilda
82. Carlton
83. Western Bulldogs
84. Richmond
85. Fremantle
86. Melbourne
87. Brisbane Lions
88. Collingwood
89. Sydney Swans
90. Geelong Cats

*Good chance I'm off by a pick here or there but that should be pretty close to right

Sorry for being quite late. You considered the possibility of a bid match, and I do match the bid, so moving on and choosing Munkara was the right decision. TDS7 What does this mean for St. Kilda's draft hand and my draft hand?
St Kilda gets the next pick (Pick 36) and Adelaide gets Pick 72 as per Bardo State's calculations. Unlikely to mean anything, I don't think a leftover points pick has ever been used by a club before anyway.

Pick 40 - Jed Hagan - North Melbourne
Pick #40 - North Melbourne - Jed Hagan

Love this guy apart from the fact he has been mentored by Harry Taylor 😁.

Hard working high impact player who I see as best available at this pick.

Likens himself to Liam Baker and if he turns out half as good as that North would be over the moon.

Pick 41 - Noah Long - Hawthorn
Guess it's my turn now.

Pick 41 - Noah Long - Hawthorn
177cm - 73kg
Inside Midfielder/Small Forward

A highly rated prospect coming into the year, Noah completes our Tall & Short Long set bringing very similar traits to his long-lost cousin Ned. A tough, gutsy, clean inside midfielder, Long uses his speed and agility at ground level to work magic extracting the footy out and cleanly providing for runners. Despite being pegged as an athletic, nuggety, contested midfielder going into the season, a collarbone and knee injury forced him to play forward during his time back with Bendigo and Vic Country. Despite being thrown in an entirely different position, Long excelled in crumbing the footy and proved an exceptional kick inside 50, setting up teammates with smart passes and roguelike finesse. I know we've taken a lot of small forwards who can play midfield this draft, but Noah is a genuine talent who's had rotten injury luck yet managed to will himself to learn a new role and star in it. He needs to improve his kicking at top speed and build his endurance up with a full preseason, but as he is Noah is a brilliant chance to take a high-upside, versatile, game-winner who could have gone in the first round had his year gone right.

AFL Page with highlight reel for those who want to put a face to the name.

Judd2Sewell, care to join us for one last pick mate?

To clear up what's happened with bids

Brisbane match Ashcroft at pick 2
Need 2014 points after discount
Picks 34, 35, 36, 38 = 2031 points
17 point surplus = pick 73 added (between Fremantle's and Sydney's 4th round selections, previously picks 75 and 76)

Essendon match Davey at pick 24
Need 588 points after discount
Picks 44 and 48 (previously 48 and 52) = 664 points
76 point surplus = pick 67 added between North and GC's 4th round picks (previously 70 and 71)

Brisbane match Fletcher at pick 25
Need 559 points after discount
Picks 51, 69, 72 = 327 points
Brisbane take 232 point deficit to 2023

Adelaide match bid on Michalaney at 35
Need 325 points after discount
Pick 45 (previously 46) = 347 points
22 point surplus = pick 72 added between Freo's 4th round and North's 5th round picks (previously 76 and 77)

All of this makes the remaining order

40. North Melbourne
41. Hawthorn
42. Sydney Swans
43. North Melbourne
44. Fremantle
45. Gold Coast Suns
46. St Kilda
47. Carlton
48. Collingwood
49. Richmond
50. Essendon
51. Adelaide
52. GWS Giants
53. Geelong Cats
54. Adelaide
55. Port Adelaide
56. GWS Giants
57. Essendon
58. Richmond
59. Geelong Cats
60. Hawthorn
61. Carlton
62. Fremantle
63. Essendon
64. Western Bulldogs
65. North Melbourne
66. Essendon
67. Gold Coast Suns
68. Essendon
69. Gold Coast Suns
70. Sydney Swans
71. Fremantle
72. Adelaide
73. North Melbourne
74. West Coast Eagles
75. GWS Giants
76. Essendon
77. Adelaide
78. Hawthorn
79. Gold Coast Suns
80. Port Adelaide
81. St Kilda
82. Carlton
83. Western Bulldogs
84. Richmond
85. Fremantle
86. Melbourne
87. Brisbane Lions
88. Collingwood
89. Sydney Swans
90. Geelong Cats

*Good chance I'm off by a pick here or there but that should be pretty close to right

I believe Essendon lost pick 50 in matching the Davey bid. So everyone should move up a selection from 51.

I believe Essendon lost pick 50 in matching the Davey bid. So everyone should move up a selection from 51.

When the Davey bid came in, Essendon traded for Hawks picks that were originally 48 and 52. These were used to match the bid.

The pick 50 which remains is their original 54 which has been brought in from all the matching.

images

Pick 42 - Tom McCallum - Sydney
I guess Juddy's still mad I took Barnett.

Pick 42 - Tom McCallum - Sydney
192cm - 78kg - Third Tall Back

Athletic as all hell, with brilliant overhead marking and the pace to spread off halfback. I'll back the Swans dev team to get the best out of him, and boy will that be a sight to see. The one thing I disagree with RMC's guide is their athletic ratings, and this guy is a prime example. He's an elite runner, jumper, and agile as a fox. Kicking is an area of improvement, but who needs a boot when you can just run it out of the back and bang it down to Isaac Heeney sitting on some poor sods head?

RIOLINWITPUNCHS up next for North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back