Unofficial Preview Hawthorn Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting today?
I've had work crop up, so I'll officially start it tommorow @12pm.

Apologies for the late start everyone, schedule was unexpectedly busy.

Saturday, November 5th @12pm, we will start the mock draft. Send in your preference lists if you think you're not going to be around.

2 hour pick timer for the first day until 9pm, then 10am to 9pm every day after.

I'll send this as a PM to all the participants as well.

Thanks Everyone,
TDS7

I will wait until all picks are finalised and we'll look into this again closer to the draft.
As the draft is now tomorrow, barring some random pick swaps tomorrow, would you like to take me up on the offer of 22 and F3 for 30 and 44 to have points for Davey. Happy to trade later if you think he could make it past your pick.

As the draft is now tomorrow, barring some random pick swaps tomorrow, would you like to take me up on the offer of 22 and F3 for 30 and 44 to have points for Davey. Happy to trade later if you think he could make it past your pick.

Thinking I might hold for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 - North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
#3 North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel

Realistically I see Harry as the most talented player in this draft and would not hesitate to pick him as the 2nd best player in the open draft.

Having said that if I were North I would not have traded #1 because Cadman fills a desperate need but that was not to be.

Sheezel is a freak around goals and oozes class especially inside 50 where I see him spending 90% of his first few years at North.

In time I can see him spending more time as a mid and being a very hard match up for oppo teams.

There will be 1000s of North kids who will wear Harry's number on their jumpers and he will put bums on seats for many years to come.

No go home factor here and a very safe pick for North.

Last edited:
Pick 4 - North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
#4 North Melbourne - George Wardlaw

This guy is an animal.

I would love this guy at the Hawks but it is zero chance to happen sadly.

Now let's talk about elephant in the room to start with:

Wardlaws hamstring issues are a big concern there is no doubt about that. And I do actually think taking him is a risk because of this. The way he plays the game he may be prone to these injuries during his career.

I very easily could have taken Ginbey, Tsatas or MacKenzie here as I see them all as a lower risk (except perhaps Ginbey being from WA) but it is hard to ignore this guys talent.

An absolute bull who will lead from the front and bring his team mates along with him. Already capable of mixing it with the big boys on the inside as shown this year and if not for injury I dare say he would have been the first player picked in this draft.

With Wardlaw and Sheezel North have two completely different types of players but extremely talented and will be undeniably important if North are to climb the ladder in the coming years.

Last edited:
Pick 5 - Essendon - Mattaes Phillipou
#4. Essendon - Mattaes Phillipou

First surprise of the draft? Possibly. This selection is taking both 'best available' and list needs into consideration.

Pulling the trigger on Elijah Tsatas was strongly considered, however adding another smaller midfielder with questionable defensive traits is the last thing the Bombers can afford to risk.

In Phillipou, the Dons are acquiring a dynamic midfielder capable of hitting the scoreboard, with arguably of the biggest scope for improvement of all top 10 prospects.

Much like the Bulldogs taking a skinny, raw Italian kid at pick 4 in 2013, Essendon will be hoping the self annointed 'best player in the draft' becomes a generational talent on route to their next flag*.

*THEY hope that, as much as we don't.

Last edited:
Pick 6 - Gold Coast - Rueban Ginbey
Alright, with Pick 6 Gold Coast select Rueban Ginbey.

Gold Coast selected Rueben Ginbey with their first pick in the 2022 National Draft.

Ginbey is an inside mid who can play down back, he has great power and explosiveness from stoppages, and bullocks through traffic, with good vision and clean skills, he is a tough midfielder who loves the contest and tackling, and when he’s down back he’s shown a great ability to read the play.

189cm & 85kg.

Ginbey will bring a different dynamic to the Gold Coast midfield with his ability on the inside to compliment Rowell, Anderson & Miller.

There’s a few comparisons for Ginbey, you can see abit of Patrick Cripps in the way he plays, but for me Callum Mills is a good comparison of Ginbeys talents.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back