Unofficial Preview Hawthorn Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 7 - Elijah Tsatas - Hawthorn
Pick 7 - Elijah Tsatas | 187cm 80kg

The obvious choice if he falls for us, Tsatas gives the Hawks team of the future exactly what it needs: top-end talent. Elijah is an exceptional stoppage player, he gets his hands to the footy first and finds a way out to spread and deliver it inside 50 with ease. A fast, agile, smart footballer, he's been known to bite off a bit on his kicks but hits his targets well and plays with an urgency befitting our run-and-gun playstyle under Sam. He's a strong mark for his frame, willing to attack the footy and clean with his hands once he gets it. A foot injury sidelined him for a chink of the year and forced him out into a wing role, but make no mistake of his stoppage prowess. His defensive efforts are lacking, he sets up at stoppages with a mind to get his hands to the footy first and doesn't show too much regard for his direct opponent. This will have to change at AFL level, but when you look at his stats it's not a bad call. He racks up the footy better than anyone bar Ashcroft, gets involved in scoring chains multiple times, and has a thumping kick when he strikes it well. When a bit of contact comes his way he does get under his kicks quite a bit and will need to improve his strength and composure at the next level to cope, but with a ton of upside and a mountain of provable talent he's the easiest selection of a recruiters life.

Around the Mark: Bailey Humphrey, Cam Mackenzie, Jyhe Clark

theiaofseed for the Cats.

Last edited:
Thanks for that TDS7 had cricket so knew you’d automatically select, and you got who I wanted for them too, anyway write up soon!!

Gold Coast selected Rueben Ginbey with their first pick in the 2022 National Draft.

Ginbey is an inside mid who can play down back, he has great power and explosiveness from stoppages, and bullocks through traffic, with good vision and clean skills, he is a tough midfielder who loves the contest and tackling, and when he’s down back he’s shown a great ability to read the play.

189cm & 85kg.

Ginbey will bring a different dynamic to the Gold Coast midfield with his ability on the inside to compliment Rowell, Anderson & Miller.

There’s a few comparisons for Ginbey, you can see abit of Patrick Cripps in the way he plays, but for me Callum Mills is a good comparison of Ginbeys talents.

Pick 8 - Jhye Clark - Geelong
Pick 8 - Jhye Clark Height: 181cm Weight: 77kg

The biggest shock of the draft Geelong select Jyhe Clark from the Geelong Falcons. Geelong coming off a 4th premiership in the last 15 years they farewell their Captain Joel Selwood but as cycle life continues they may have just welcomed in his football reincarnation in Clark. Clark is a no fuss hard working inside midfielder with the foot skills to match rarely making a mistake, what he lacks in athleticism he more than makes up for it with he's attack on the football and with his footy iq topping this years draft pool he makes for a mouth watering inside prospect.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 10 - Cam Mackenzie - St Kilda
With pick 10, St Kilda select Cam Mackenzie

Midfielder

Height: 187cm

Weight: 80kg

D.O.B: 21-01-2004

A skillful balanced midfielder. I considered sliding back for some of the worthwhile key position talent that I think will be snapped up in the top 20. MacKenzie's early birthday makes me hesitant but his level of class is in short supply this draft. He is comfortable playing behind the ball which should hopefully accelerate his AFL development. Being tied to the St Kilda next gen academy, this is a good story about getting to the club that has tracked and put time into him. Hopefully Ross gives him a chance.

Rookie me central write up

It has been a successful year both individually and team-wise for Mackenzie, who was a core part of a premiership winning Sandringham Dragons side and championship winning Vic Metro outfit. Averaging a touch over 24 disposals in the NAB League, with a 35-disposal and one-goal game in Round 10 a particular highlight, Mackenzie has been one who has shown he’s far more likely to look for dangerous options rather than try and do too much himself, with his team orientated approach being pivotal to a few wins over the course of the year.

Mackenzie’s decision making under pressure is particularly key to this aspect of his game, allowing him to quickly assess options through congestion and fire a quick handball to a runner, regularly keeping his hands high to avoid being pinned in a tackle. Whilst the hands in close are impressive, Mackenzie’s ability to weight his kicks well from packs is arguably the most unique part of his game, rarely putting too much penetration on a kick to allow his teammates to run onto it without breaking stride.

Mackenzie boasts an impressive athletic base which gives him the tools to create separation at stoppages and around the ground, complimenting his natural craft well. Whilst not always the main target around stoppages, Mackenzie is a natural when the ball is thrown up, timing his runs well and reading the ball off the rucks hands to take it at close to full flight. Mackenzie also plays the role of receiver naturally around stoppages, using that same speed to get separation on his direct opponent and spread from the congestion well, getting out in space in a position easy for his teammates to give the ball out to.

Offensively, Mackenzie is very good value for his disposals, with the damage he causes with ball in hand already mentioned, his work off the ball is also admirable, as one of the better two way runners in the crop, Mackenzie works hard to help aid his side in defence, whether it’s laying tackles or applying heavy pressure on an oppositions disposal.

Whilst Mackenzie has been consistent in terms of stats and impact game-to-game, there is still some way to go with his consistency between quarters, sometimes fading out of games when there are less stoppages or the game opens up in general. This ties into Mackenzie perhaps needing to work on his ability to impact in open play, admittedly an area that improved through the season, but still occasionally looking rushed when disposing the ball on the outside.

Next up chopflop for the Blues

Last edited:
Pick 11 - Josh Weddle - Carlton
At pick 11 in the 2022 AFL draft, the Carlton Football Club selects Josh Weddle from the Oakleigh Football Club/Carey Grammar.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au

Size, height, is he 200cm? How will he handle Ben King? Isn't he a third tall? He isn't a number 1 key defender.

We have heard it countless times; the draft prospect that falls down the pecking order because of question marks over their size/position at AFL level.

Weddle is 192cm.
Darren Glass 192cm.
Matthew Scarlett 194cm.
Alex rance 194cm.
James Sicily 189cm.
Steven May 193cm.

It is an absolute myth that you can't be a Key position defender and low 190s. Helping weddle's case is his insane athleticism.
  • a 90cm running vertical helps him defend the high ball and intercept (=2nd)
  • 2.93 in the 20m sprint to help keep with nippy forwards on the lead.
  • insane running power with a 6:05 2km time trial - good enough for 4th best overall.

But we all know that athletic chops mean nothing if you can't 'football' and Weddle can football. He has sure hands, his disposal is neat (can be erratic in decision making at times - think Sam frost - not the bachelorette) and most importantly for a defender - HE DEFENDS! He is excellent one-on-one, he has great strength and power, he can intercept well and he can play small and tall!

My floor comparison is Nathan Broad and my ceiling is a Sam frost (not the bachelorette) and Alex rance love child.

Another positive is that Weddle is a late bolter showing rapid improvement over the past 12 months which can suggest high upside.

For Carlton, this selection provides the perfect long term partner for weitering who can take the taller gorilla forwards, leaving Weddle to match up on dangerous smalls and talls. I can envision him marking Charlie Curnow one week and Toby Greene the next. He also providea Carlton with some extra pop and rebound of half back with his Sam frost tendencies.

A high upside selection who I am confident, in time, will be one of the best handful of players from this draft.

I tried to trade down to improve my picks and still select Weddle because I didn't believe anyone would be keen on him in the first round. In the end with no trade I am still happy taking Weddle at selection 11.

In the link below there are some brief highlights of some of his work.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au

Last edited:
Pick 14 - Isaac Keeler - Melbourne
Melbourne select Isaac Keeler.

I think with the Dee’s being in their window they can take a forward/ruck like Keeler at their first and give him some time to develop.

Their midfield is still very good and with Wiederman and Jackson leaving and the obvious injury cloud around Grundy, Keeler is the guy. Also Ben Brown hitting 30 next year (?) gives Keeler some time to develop his top level forward craft if needed.

He can kick, find the goals and has good clearance work, almost another tall midfielder.

I also considered a Jefferson, Hewett and a Davey bid.

Judd2Sewell I believe?

Last edited:
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back