Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Obi Wan literally talks about fighting in the wars and remembering the Jedi and old republic. So it's pretty clear the empire has existed for less than say, 30 years.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
yeah maybe - I wasn’t listening too closely, the kids were watching

my point was mostly that it doesn’t matter, we don’t expect narrative continuity in Paw Patrol so maybe we should chill about Star Wars

On top of that I think it did what it did riiiight around the time people started getting militant and vocal about mass appeal movies being garbage. Much like Marvel gets now, there’s a crowd of people who are just adamant that anything that grosses huge business MUST be s**t.
Mass market movies have converged upon a bland singularity in recent decades. As budgets have got bigger and the media landscape has become fragmented, lowest-common-denominator films based on existing IP have been the only safe bet for studios.

After rewatching Blue, it really hit home to me how the characters in pretty much every Hollywood film have absolutely zero inner life. They are simply vehicles for the plot to act through. If they are given motivations or character growth it is superficial or simplistic - just enough for their behaviour to make sense. But you get no sense that these people exist in any way beyond what is shown to us on the screen.

In Blue (and all of Kieslowski’s films really) you feel that you are seeing a vignette from a real person’s life. Julie’s choices and actions are a little bit strange - but strange in the way that the choices and actions of an acquaintance might be. They are authentic, but the motivation and rationale often isn’t fully apparent either. You have to speculate a little bit about why this character is doing what they’re doing - what their behaviour means, what they’re thinking.

In a Hollywood film where you are just looking to hit story beats, you don’t have the time or audience patience to indulge in this kind of thing. Characters just end up as archetypes, and archetypes paired with a small handful of basic plots make every film feel the same.

I feel like I’m one of the few that didn’t even get much out of seeing Avatar at the cinema.

It was definitely novel, and I thought the night forest scenes were cool, but I remember seeing the new Alice in Wonderland in 3D shortly after and finding the visuals were similar in their impact on me.

Not to mention being fully aware that 90% of what I was seeing was computer generated, including the characters. There’s just something about that that immediately detracts from my viewing experience. An environment effect, or even de-ageing like in Benjamin Button I can appreciate, but if I see a film and know I’m watching people on a green screen, I enjoy it a whole lot less.

When you add in the dull story and characters and a bloated running time, it’s just a s**t film to watch. At the time I was bored but thought I was glad to see something historic. Years on, it just seems like such an irrelevant film.

None of the 3d films released after Avatar were done properly either for the record, they were converted to 3d after filming normally. Avatar was filmed in 3d cameras from the start.

Yeah I realise that, I’ve heard James Cameron say it every opportunity he gets.

I appreciate the innovation and effort that went into them, but it did nothing that AiW didn’t for me. The end 3D result looked very similar.

Poker Face.

Directed and starring Russell Crowe. A tech billionaire hosts a high-stakes poker game between friends, but the evening takes a turn when long-held secrets are revealed, an elaborate revenge plot unfolds, and thieves break in.

Felt like it could have been so much more. 5/10.

5/10 is extremely generous. The movie is laughably bad.

Rusty can act (or at least has an iconic voice) but he’s clearly a nut job.

5/10 is extremely generous. The movie is laughably bad.

Rusty can act (or at least has an iconic voice) but he’s clearly a nut job.
You're probably right. I gave a few points just for the Sydney apartment view and the drive to the house. Overall it was completely pointless and offered nothing new or unique.

The Core (2003)

I still have no idea why I watched this. Was just scrolling through Netflix, it came up and I just thought what the hell. I wanted to watch something mindless, I guess, and this fit the bill more than I would have dared dream.

Hilary Swank, Aaron Eckhart, Stanley Tucci etc team up to drive a high tech train/drill thing down into the poorly rendered CGI core of the earth to restart its rotation by setting off nukes (yay! science!). Story is nonsense, performances phoned in. Many of the characters die along the way and seem to be more relieved than anything when they do, I guess because it meant they could go home and cash their cheques and forget they were ever in this. That would at least explain the surprising enthusiasm with which characters are willing to sacrifice their lives. CGI more on a par with mid-90's TV (think season 1 of Babylon 5) rather than a Hollywood studio film. The whole thing feels like a really poor man's Armageddon. In fairness, it had barely half the budget of Armageddon, but on the other hand it didn't have anywhere near the A list cast of Armageddon to soak up that budget, and much less demand in terms of CGI (mostly some caves and lava).

Overall, a disaster movie in every sense of the term. I award it no points and may god have mercy on its soul.
Just watched again and it wasn't so bad even if none of the science stacked up.

Waterworld

Felt like this movie went on way too long. 150 minutes. Who would have thought a stick figure drawing would do a 360 on Costner. Started out a complete campaigner to the point I hated him. I need to watch again to work out that scene with the trader. Might have missed something.

The extra drama right near the end was completely unnecessary for an already long film.

Intriguing start, yet devoid of understanding (I guess they didn't know either so makes sense)
Whole lot of crap inbetween.
Relevant scenes summing up Costners psyche
Intimacy, empathy
more crap
kick ass action for the win.

The girl Enola was an awesome cast find. Some really sick lines. "Remember you said that"

6.5/10 (Really should have been shoter)

Just watched again and it wasn't so bad even if none of the science stacked up.

Waterworld

Felt like this movie went on way too long. 150 minutes. Who would have thought a stick figure drawing would do a 360 on Costner. Started out a complete campaigner to the point I hated him. I need to watch again to work out that scene with the trader. Might have missed something.

The extra drama right near the end was completely unnecessary for an already long film.

Intriguing start, yet devoid of understanding (I guess they didn't know either so makes sense)
Whole lot of crap inbetween.
Relevant scenes summing up Costners psyche
Intimacy, empathy
more crap
kick ass action for the win.

The girl Enola was an awesome cast find. Some really sick lines. "Remember you said that"

6.5/10 (Really should have been shoter)
Thats Tina Majorina dude. If Corinna, Corinna and Napoleon Dynamite fame (I think she also did some prestige TV stuff but she’s a proper child Star).

Waterworld gets bonus points for Jeanne Triplehorn (goooood lord she is a hottie) and Dennis Hopper hamming it up a treat. The Core has none of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Avatar hate a bit like Star Wars and boomers hating the prequels?. It wasn't that bad cmon.
for a quarter of a billion dollars l would hope for something more than ‘not that bad’

Which is the problem with big Hollywood blockbusters really - it’s less about them being bad films and more about the opportunity cost of them sucking up all the oxygen and money

It’s sort of killed the mid-market niche that Hollywood used to be so great for - i.e. films that combined a decent amount of risk taking on films that were too ambitious/expensive for the indies to execute

Is Avatar hate a bit like Star Wars and boomers hating the prequels?. It wasn't that bad cmon.
I was 23 when it came out. I don’t think it has anything to do with age etc. I don’t really like Star Wars much anyway. The TV shows have been more enjoyable for me.

I feel like I’m one of the few that didn’t even get much out of seeing Avatar at the cinema.

It was definitely novel, and I thought the night forest scenes were cool, but I remember seeing the new Alice in Wonderland in 3D shortly after and finding the visuals were similar in their impact on me.

Not to mention being fully aware that 90% of what I was seeing was computer generated, including the characters. There’s just something about that that immediately detracts from my viewing experience. An environment effect, or even de-ageing like in Benjamin Button I can appreciate, but if I see a film and know I’m watching people on a green screen, I enjoy it a whole lot less.

When you add in the dull story and characters and a bloated running time, it’s just a s**t film to watch. At the time I was bored but thought I was glad to see something historic. Years on, it just seems like such an irrelevant film.

I have never seen Avatar.

Isn't Cameron doing a lot of self financing for the sequels? Same as George Lucas did on the prequels.

define self-financing - the sequels are supposedly costing $1b, I doubt Cameron has that in his back pocket

Even if some portion of the money is cash that would otherwise be spent/invested outside the film industry, no doubt a lot of the money is coming from production companies or the movie-going public who would otherwise put their money towards other films. That's to say nothing of the human capital invested - i.e. any number of elite industry professionals who will spend a significant portion of their careers tied up in the production of these films.

Doing something always comes at the cost of doing something else. $1 billion is an insane amount of money - to blow it all on 4 sequels to a fairly unoriginal movie about space cats seems a criminal waste of artistic and entertainment potential.

Last edited:
Red is the best Three Colours movie.

And surely, no matter how you feel about Avatar, we can all agree that Worthington is/was one of the worst leading men of all time?

Red is the best Three Colours movie.

And surely, no matter how you feel about Avatar, we can all agree that Worthington is/was one of the worst leading men of all time?
I'll raise you Channing Tatum

Tommy Wiseau, surely
Yeah but he never knew what he was doing. Stil not even sure if he can be taken seriously, "I did not hit her, I did nawt, Oh Hiya Mark"

I'm going on a bit of a movie marathon here, Decided to look up minimal cast movies and found a heap and a few more on IMDB, then some excellent movies you've probably never seen. Keen to see if anyone else wants to dig into these for a group review.

I haven't seen any reviews in this thread, not sure about the other 5. No idea where to find them
A quick site search I can only find one link to Bitter moon on an old thread back in 2003

Hard Candy (2005)
Sleuth (1972)
Bitter Moon (1992) (Google Play, Apple Tv)
Carnage (2011) Can't find it yet (Roman Polanski) IMDB suggested his films
The Tenant (1976) (Google Play, Apple TV)

Together (2000) comedy (Youtube, Disney)
Dark City (1998) Can't believe I've missed this

61 movies you've probably never seen (I can't even find some of these)

Last edited:
Jeremy Renner would be up there for me.

He’s able to act, and I’ve liked some films that he’s been in (Wind River and American Hustle), but he often detracts from my enjoyment. There’s just a combination of blandness and annoying/w***er face that should be nowhere near leading roles.

Jeremy Renner would be up there for me.

He’s able to act, and I’ve liked some films that he’s been in (Wind River and American Hustle), but he often detracts from my enjoyment. There’s just a combination of blandness and annoying/w***er face that should be nowhere near leading roles.
Well he's not great is he. I mean I just compared him to Kevin Spacey for example and not even close to that level of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back