What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

My kids asked me the other day if I went to Church when I was a kid. I explained to them that I did which included sunday school up until I started surf club, footy and cricket on a sunday and my dad thought that was more important....thankfully.

I still recon going to church had the benefit of teaching kids how to deal with being bored.

The need for constant stimulation, the impatience and lack of imagination these days could probably helped with a bit of enforced boredom here and there.

Some Random ones from the 80's in Perth

Getting the Sunday Times Classifieds on a Saturday night looking for bargains
Playing Atari Video Games
See cover bands like the Jets & V Capri in Huge Suburban Pubs then hitting the night clubs
Browsing Video Stores, driving 20km to get a bootleg copy of the latest movie
Panel Van at the Drive In's. Didn't watch to many movies though

Some Random ones from the 80's in Perth

Getting the Sunday Times Classifieds on a Saturday night looking for bargains
Playing Atari Video Games
See cover bands like the Jets & V Capri in Huge Suburban Pubs then hitting the night clubs
Browsing Video Stores, driving 20km to get a bootleg copy of the latest movie
Panel Van at the Drive In's. Didn't watch to many movies though
I remember the lookout back in the 90's and they would have a band on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Long weekend Sunday sessions were always fantastic. Even the old Breakwater at Hillarys marina went off especially on Wednesday nights.
Bands like J Babies, Wax, Great Australian Gift box etc.

The brown paper bags where you could write a lunch order for the canteen.
Those were great.

Our primary school we would pick a kid every day to go collect all the orders around 10 min before lunch then everyone would just be staring at this basket for the rest of the class

Also early primary school did anyone have a phase where (if felt like) the whole school was obsessed with marbles.

There was a stage I reckon in the mid-late 80s where it was insane.

We lived not far from the school so on weekends my sister and I would wander down and hunt the oval for lost marbles it was fun.

I still have all my marbles

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those were great.

Our primary school we would pick a kid every day to go collect all the orders around 10 min before lunch then everyone would just be staring at this basket for the rest of the class

Also early primary school did anyone have a phase where (if felt like) the whole school was obsessed with marbles.

There was a stage I reckon in the mid-late 80s where it was insane.

We lived not far from the school so on weekends my sister and I would wander down and hunt the oval for lost marbles it was fun.

I still have all my marbles

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Marbles got banned at our primary school, shit got out of hand. Older kids knocking the container of marbles other kids had and stealing them etc.

Can remember everyone having them and you'd try and win good marbles off the other kids. Was good fun. Lasted a month at most I reckon before they got banned.

Late 80s I'm thinking

I loved G I Joe men and Mini Micro Machines toys as a kid. I looked up G I Joe men and vehicles online I while back and went on a nostalgic trip for about 2 hours remembering all the ones I had.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was simple, easy and we took nothing for granted. We lived life as it was.
The internet (and political climate) has changed all that. It’s also steered/steering us all into group-think where certain former mainstream opinions are now verboten. People are more fearful now, in general, as media see it as their role to influence the narrative around most topics. We are constantly reminded that we are surrounded by threats to our safety and very existence. In that way we were certainly far happier forty years ago.

Oh yeah that's a really good one.

Every second person on the street hadn't copied each other with some lame tattoo.
Growing up and in early adulthood I hardly remember seeing anyone with a tattoo. I hope it’s a fashion that will one day fade fade fade away. In a hundred years kids will trawl through Google images (or the way more advanced method 😬) and stare in wonder at images of people who let someone draw all over their bodies.
Obviously society seemed a lot freer, don't think people were shamed for their opinion as much.
Dating is something that interests me. Another poster said you rarely would go outside that medium kinda circle you have, which I feel is still true to an extent for a lot of people but not all. I do like the idea though of contact only being via phone call or seeing each other irl. Would make the early stages more interesting and mysterious, but also generally. I remember saying to an ex of mine that I wish it was like the 80s and you didn't feel compelled to reply to a bunch of someones bullshit messages all day. It's not healthy.
Most people had quite extensive social circles. You met prospective dates through school friends, sports clubs, church (if you went), at work, parties. Clubbing wasn’t huge as far as my friends were concerned.

Simon Townsend's Wonderworld.

Interesting story - Simon Townsend was apparently on board this aircraft

The internet (and political climate) has changed all that. It’s also steered/steering us all into group-think where certain former mainstream opinions are now verboten. People are more fearful now, in general, as media see it as their role to influence the narrative around most topics. We are constantly reminded that we are surrounded by threats to our safety and very existence. In that way we were certainly far happier forty years ago.

Growing up and in early adulthood I hardly remember seeing anyone with a tattoo. I hope it’s a fashion that will one day fade fade fade away. In a hundred years kids will trawl through Google images (or the way more advanced method 😬) and stare in wonder at images of people who let someone draw all over their bodies.

Most people had quite extensive social circles. You met prospective dates through school friends, sports clubs, church (if you went), at work, parties. Clubbing wasn’t huge as far as my friends were concerned.

Interesting story - Simon Townsend was apparently on board this aircraft

What former mainstream opinions do you think are forbidden now?

Rage and MTV
Recording tv shows
TV remotes that required to be plugged into the TV or VCR
A team, battle of the planets, sport billy, cities of gold, transformers, the real ghostbusters
Sale of the century with tony barber
Dennys
Mackers where burgers in polystyrene boxes were premade and slid down a chute.
racism at the footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marbles got banned at our primary school, s**t got out of hand. Older kids knocking the container of marbles other kids had and stealing them etc.

Can remember everyone having them and you'd try and win good marbles off the other kids. Was good fun. Lasted a month at most I reckon before they got banned.

Late 80s I'm thinking

I loved G I Joe men and Mini Micro Machines toys as a kid. I looked up G I Joe men and vehicles online I while back and went on a nostalgic trip for about 2 hours remembering all the ones I had.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The same thing happened at our primary school with marbles getting banned due to them causing fights with kids cheating or stealing to get other kids marbles.

We had a yoyo craze in primary school too when some people from Coca Cola came to our school to give a yoyo demonstration with all the tricks and then hand out free Coca Cola yoyos to all the kids. I can't imagine that being allowed today with Coca Cola promoting unhealthy soft drinks to the kids.

"It's a Knockout" on Sunday nights!

That show was must watch tv on Sunday nights back in the 80s, the remake of it Channel 10 did about 10 years ago was horrible though and bombed.

Last edited:
We had a yoyo craze in primary school as well when some people from Coca Cola came to our school to give a yoyo demonstration with all the tricks and then hand out free Coca Cola yoyos to all the kids, I can't imagine that being allowed today with Coca Cola promoting soft drinks to all the kids.

Yeah we had yo-yo people come out as well - i remember our family having a coca cola, mellow-yellow and sprite yo-yo's at around that time. Learnt the walk the dog and rock the cradle moves amongst others

That show was must watch tv on Sunday nights back in the 80s, the remake Channel 10 did about 10 years ago was horrible though and bombed.
Just like their re-make of Young Talent Time.

CH10 did have a hit with another Sunday night show a few years after IAK - Comedy Company.

Local made sketch comedy appears to be completely non-existent these days....the last one I can remember was Skithouse. Prior to that we had Fast Forward, Full Frontal, The Late Show, Jimeoin, Australia You're Standing In It, and The Big Gig.

Yeah we had yo-yo people come out as well - i remember our family having a coca cola, mellow-yellow and sprite yo-yo's at around that time. Learnt the walk the dog and rock the cradle moves amongst others

I struggled to do any of the tricks they showed us and so did most kids so that craze didn't last too long, then the yoyos just collected dust at home.

Just like their re-make of Young Talent Time.

CH10 did have a hit with another Sunday night show a few years after IAK - Comedy Company.

Local made sketch comedy appears to be completely non-existent these days....the last one I can remember was Skithouse. Prior to that we had Fast Forward, Full Frontal, The Late Show, Jimeoin, Australia You're Standing In It, and The Big Gig.

Comedy Inc was another sketch comedy show on Channel 9 that was on around the same time as Skithouse but there hasn't been much sketch comedy since then other than a few shows on the ABC like Chris Lilley's shows or Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell show which finished at the end of last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back