Autopsy 2023 Rd 6 Misfiring Blues drop their bundle again

These are the answers ... what was the question again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The midfield group responded after being poor last week. We absolutely dominated the first half but had less than a goal lead at the half. A slap in the face reminder of most of how last year transpired.

All the other usual issues popped up again.
  • Slow ball movement
  • Slow switching of the play only to face the same issue on the other wing
  • Zero desire to take the game on (even when down 3 goals with 10 mins to go)
  • Long bomb and hope kicks into the forward 50 and not to our forwards advantage (either not high enough for forwards to run and jump or to the oppositions advantage. I swear we picked out defenders more than our own)
  • Poor forward craft (dumb leading patterns, smalls not at the fall of the ball)
  • Inability to tackle and trap the ball in the forward 50 (made even more staggering that we can't lock it in when we long bomb to contests)
  • No short hit-up passes into the forward 50
  • Stupid snaps from long distance instead of a standard set shot, missing from the goal square.
Think that about covers it
And look what the consistently good sides do:

• fast ball movement
  • fast switching
  • desire to take on the game
  • smart kicking I50
  • SFs front and centre
  • Pressure and tackling a non negotiable - from all 18 on the field at any point in time.
  • scoreboard pressure.
Voss and crew really can't be that dumb surely?

At the moment we have Williams, Gov, Philp, Marchy, Cuningham, Boyd and Martin who have spent more time injured than playing while at the club. At the end of this season, I think at least 3 of the above will be gone.

If Martin is still signed until 2024 might be almost worth paying him out or just hope he retires or we can settle somehow.
Boyd may be back this week (in the seniors).

Philp 100% gone.

Cuners and Marchy if they can't get on the park for a decent stretch - and show something.

Martin will stay as he's under contract till end of '24 and he offers nothing on the trade table frankly.

Williams and Guv stay (unless Guv won't take unders pay wise - he owes us).

It was certainly frustrating yesterday but I knew it would be a dour affair. We handled it well enough in the first half and deserved a better lead at half time. Alas soft goals going the other way made it closer.

St Kilda’s best quarter was disappointing because we wasted good scoring opportunities which was a common theme during the game. The Saints were looking for that sort of lead because their confidence in the match plan is sky high. Unless you try something different they just shift the zone so you can’t move the ball with speed and in a direct line towards goal.

Which brings me to the last quarter. I would rather have lost the game by 10 goals as long as we tried to win the game. To persist with the game plan made no sense. I wanted run. I wanted risk taking. We kicked it sideways. We seemed to pack our 18 in one half of the ground. And when we won the ball there was no one in the forward fifty except for bloody St Kilda defenders.

I leave it up the experts at the club to figure something out. The players need to lift. There was plenty of effort but too much of it was wasted through lost opportunities and silly decisions when we controlled the ball. We’re definitely behind the eight ball at the moment and the players need to respond.
We only ever switched it once per forward thrust. Could have switched it back a fourth serveral times until someone was free inside 50. But after one switch it was bomb it long.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doc on our loss and also when he might be back ...

Audio:-

It was certainly frustrating yesterday but I knew it would be a dour affair. We handled it well enough in the first half and deserved a better lead at half time. Alas soft goals going the other way made it closer.

St Kilda’s best quarter was disappointing because we wasted good scoring opportunities which was a common theme during the game. The Saints were looking for that sort of lead because their confidence in the match plan is sky high. Unless you try something different they just shift the zone so you can’t move the ball with speed and in a direct line towards goal.

Which brings me to the last quarter. I would rather have lost the game by 10 goals as long as we tried to win the game. To persist with the game plan made no sense. I wanted run. I wanted risk taking. We kicked it sideways. We seemed to pack our 18 in one half of the ground. And when we won the ball there was no one in the forward fifty except for bloody St Kilda defenders.

I leave it up the experts at the club to figure something out. The players need to lift. There was plenty of effort but too much of it was wasted through lost opportunities and silly decisions when we controlled the ball. We’re definitely behind the eight ball at the moment and the players need to respond.

Contrast that to Collingwood last year where they came back and won a lot of games when down at 3/4 time.

I watched plenty of them and it was very obvious they changed tactics, playing fast at every opportunity and attacking the corridor more often. Going slow, sideways and down the line isn't the way to go when needing to catch up 3-4 goals in the last quarter...

We're going to "contemplate" reviewing Harry's kicking!
It's funny that Harry is actually supposedly super intelligent (off the field). Reminds me a bit of Will Minson who was mensa-esque just pulled out many a brain fart on the field, like our Harry.
He is probably an over thinker so what should be instinctive — he complicates. Too much second guessing.

Hard to win a game when a seven-year "senior" player misses a set shot from 20 meters out dead in front. Even harder to win a game when you are effectively playing two forwards - same issue all year. How much of that is Vossy's fault and how much of that is just lack of developed forward talent?

On Voss- good on him for playing Cowan, Hollands, and Cncotta- all new recruits - and good on him for giving Honey and LoB a run to show what they've got or haven't. All this talk of Voss favouring players- when the facts say that he is actually developing youth as much as possible - including dropping TDK.

I think Docherty and Saad in would have helped keep scoring less- but no coach can make up for Jack Silvagni unable to kick a goal - he and Fisher are dead weight losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a huge SOS fan but that miss in the third was simply not good enough. In a very even contest that made a huge difference. Has to be better than that.

Jeez Harry really tried so hard all afternoon and took some great contested marks but but I left the game wondering if he's just plain stupid.

Charlie Curnow held every time the ball was kicked to him, every time!

Agree. Also needs to start holding his marks or at least a few more but - this is a big BUT - heart and soul player who gives 100% at every contest and multiple contests afterwards. I'd take 18 of these types then some current 'pretenders'.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boss makes a statement with JSoS this week instead of some others and IMO - that would tell me more about the coach.

The SOS miss is inexcusable. It’s the sort of rubbish that demoralises a team. I want him dropped. A ten year old could have kicked that goal.

You need to be 100 out of 100 on those shots.

Be ruthless. Drop him.

TDK was the first card to fall - Jack and Fisher arent any more deserving of a game. I'd be filthy with his misses as a forward if I was a team mate.

I hate when we lose.

What I hate more is the amount of absolute uninformed crap thats get posted about this player or that, and coaches and selection and training methods and game plan and so on ad nauseum.
It's outright comedy.

I think when we win it must be really boring for some so called supporters.

Last edited:
TDK was the first card to fall - Jack and Fisher arent any more deserving of a game. I'd be filthy with his misses as a forward if I was a team mate.

SOS tries super hard and I love that. The sample size is high on his goal kicking and it’s unacceptably low. Sustainably unacceptably low. For years he’s been 50 percent or less. It’s just not good enough. We have to find guys who can kick accurately. Guys like Jack Gunston.

SOS tries super hard and I love that. The sample size is high on his goal kicking and it’s unacceptably low. Sustainably unacceptably low. For years he’s been 50 percent or less. It’s just not good enough. We have to find guys who can kick accurately. Guys like Jack Gunston.
career goal average is pretty low at ~0.7.

I checked a few other third talls averages and they were generally in the 1 to 1.5 range.

maybe our focus on H and charles as our two clear targets makes it harder for him so maybe he just needs to nail more of the opportunities he gets as you've outlined with his low conversion rate.

All the folks banging on about dropping someone for missing a set shot clearly have no idea what actually helps someone get better. Go back and watch some of the interviews Harry did last year when he was seeing some better results. He talks about working with the club psychologist on the idea that it's OK to miss some, which relieves mental pressure, relaxes the body, and gives you a better chance of actually kicking it the way you want to.

Clearly Harry, and JSOS, and Cripps, could all do with a refresher on that right now, but let's be clear. Dropping someone for a missed shot would have the exact opposite effect to what you want. Suddenly everyone knows that a bad miss could see them dropped, the pressure goes way up, and the chance of success goes down. It's a knee-jerk expression of frustration, not a solution.

McKay goal kicking is much maligned but his conversion is way higher than Jack’s. His snapping is belittled but I would be stunned if on the right side of goal he isn’t incredibly highly accurate over time. Just the odd rushed shank that I believe will be sorted out. His horrendous weakness is left side of goals and he knows it which is why he passed off to Hewett. He has way too much natural hook on the ball which makes the math of accuracy very hard on the left side. It would need a dramatic change of action to fix. Frankly, why not try. OR - just don’t lead to that side. Leave it to Chalrie.

All the folks banging on about dropping someone for missing a set shot clearly have no idea what actually helps someone get better. Go back and watch some of the interviews Harry did last year when he was seeing some better results. He talks about working with the club psychologist on the idea that it's OK to miss some, which relieves mental pressure, relaxes the body, and gives you a better chance of actually kicking it the way you want to.

Clearly Harry, and JSOS, and Cripps, could all do with a refresher on that right now, but let's be clear. Dropping someone for a missed shot would have the exact opposite effect to what you want. Suddenly everyone knows that a bad miss could see them dropped, the pressure goes way up, and the chance of success goes down. It's a knee-jerk expression of frustration, not a solution.
People need to be able to cope with pressure and feedback. Yep. You miss from dead in front you’ll be dropped. So what? Get some steel. How can you cope with the pressure of taking that shot in a final if you can take the pressure of needing to nail it to keep your spot. These guys need GRIT.

The SOS miss is inexcusable. It’s the sort of rubbish that demoralises a team. I want him dropped. A ten year old could have kicked that goal.

You need to be 100 out of 100 on those shots.

Be ruthless. Drop him.
If he gets dropped, his toxic old man will get in his ear and make him think that the club has it in for their entire family. Air of entitlement in that entire family

Hard to win a game when a seven-year "senior" player misses a set shot from 20 meters out dead in front. Even harder to win a game when you are effectively playing two forwards - same issue all year. How much of that is Vossy's fault and how much of that is just lack of developed forward talent?

On Voss- good on him for playing Cowan, Hollands, and Cncotta- all new recruits - and good on him for giving Honey and LoB a run to show what they've got or haven't. All this talk of Voss favouring players- when the facts say that he is actually developing youth as much as possible - including dropping TDK.

I think Docherty and Saad in would have helped keep scoring less- but no coach can make up for Jack Silvagni unable to kick a goal - he and Fisher are dead weight losses.
Kemp and Dow both say hello Jabba

How did Plowman get a game when Kemp, who has greater upside, was banging down the door in the 2s.

And Honey, well he was doing sweet FA in the 2s, and has continued to do sweet FA in the seniors, and continues to get selected.

And LOB, well he just isn't up to it. Doesn't have the attitude. And what is the definition of insanity again? Binns another option with greater upside

I'm sorry but you cant tell me Voss isn't culpable through selection .

People need to be able to cope with pressure and feedback. Yep. You miss from dead in front you’ll be dropped. So what? Get some steel. How can you cope with the pressure of taking that shot in a final if you can take the pressure of needing to nail it to keep your spot. These guys need GRIT.
It would be wonderful if it were that simple, wouldn't it? But as the saying goes, for every problem there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Back