Preview Round 9, 2023 : Hawks v Demons, 4.35pm Sat 13th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greene and Wingard have to go. Too slow and offer nothing defensively at all. Wingard can’t kick 30 metres

Scrimshaw just jogs around with no defensive intent. We need players who will bust a gut. CJ important in that regard. Morrison does that and might hold his spot for it but when you’re giving up massive scores on turnovers, ball use needs to be prioritised too. Get Mackenzie back in

Give Blanck another run to try and free up Sicily.

Out: Greene Wingard Morrison Weddle Scrimshaw

In: Breust Jiath Butler Mackenzie Blanck

Greene and Wingard have to go. Too slow and offer nothing defensively at all. Wingard can’t kick 30 metres

Scrimshaw just jogs around with no defensive intent. We need players who will bust a gut. CJ important in that regard. Morrison does that and might hold his spot for it but when you’re giving up massive scores on turnovers, ball use needs to be prioritised too. Get Mackenzie back in

Give Blanck another run to try and free up Sicily.

Out: Greene Wingard Morrison Weddle Scrimshaw

In: Breust Jiath Butler Mackenzie Blanck

With Bruest back and Butler beyond deserving of an opportunity, surely it's time to have a conversation with Wingard now? We're last and rebuilding and his form has been average-OK.

Perhaps it's difficult because he's a popular member of the playing group, or we're holding out hope of something in a trade, but what's the point continuing to play him? He didn't even lay one tackle last night.

Bruest continues to hit the scoreboard, and it's time Butler is given a real run at it. Then let's look at O'Sullivan and Bennetts later in the year.

We'll probably just drop Brocky with all that said.

Last edited:
Would like to see Mackenzie and Butler come in. Ramsden too if Reeves is no good.

CJ maybe, but I think he should play a game or two at VFL level first.

Greene is getting dropped.
Jiath comes straight back in, Sam said it himself last week.

IN: DGB, Breust, Jiath, Butler

Out: Weddle, Greene, Ward, Morrison

Move Wingard to half back and see how he goes. Needs to find the ball more himself.
I am not a Morrison apologist, but he was almost our best last night. Worked really hard all night. A couple of poor kicks, but that was more lack of options presented. Highest rated hawk.
I also don't see the point in dropping Ward. Not that great last night, but he is a big part of the future.
Possibly Weddle for now, although I thought he got better as the night went on.
Greene out, Bramble out of the 23, then a couple of players 'rested'. Not sure CJ comes straight back in TBH.
Mitchell is going OK but his disposal was terrible last night. Should put those dinky 10mtre kicks away. More run and length needed.

This will most likely get ugly, like PTSD ugly.

I’m not sure having heaps of young kids exposed to a full strength Demons team up and about is great for their development.

Pick the most experienced 22 we can muster, let them cop what comes and move on to round 10.

The only way Butler comes in is Wingard out because Broooost has to come in.
Chad goes a million miles an hour at the contest but does * all.
Look the Chads been okayish (being generous in my assessment) so I don’t want to go too hard as we had worse players yesterday.

But gee sometimes he is a hard player to watch.

His game style is very much “Chad focused” lately and often you end up saying too yourself after a passage of play he was involved in “That was a lot of movement and noise signifying nothing”.

I am not a Morrison apologist, but he was almost our best last night. Worked really hard all night. A couple of poor kicks, but that was more lack of options presented. Highest rated hawk.
I also don't see the point in dropping Ward. Not that great last night, but he is a big part of the future.
Greene out, Bramble out of the 23, then a couple of players 'rested'. Not sure CJ comes straight back in TBH.
Mitchell is going OK but his disposal was terrible last night. Should put those dinky 10mtre kicks away. More run and length needed.
Highest rated Hawk by what measure? Because he wasn't. Unless you're referring to AFL fantasy, and that couldn't possibly be it.

We need some more forward targets and defensive pressure.

For talls whether that’s Ramsden or DGB doesn’t really matter. If reeves has a sore ankle and misses could have both.

For pressure, Breust coming back won’t help. Greene, chad, Moore either don’t have the pace or desire to pressure effectively. That play where Clark just burnt off Moore in a u-turn was indicative. Butler should come in. Not sure JOS/Bennett’s ready. Maybe CJ could go forward? Moore might be better for a run up ground - could he play morrisons role?

Likely to be a tough game. We might as well learn something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of poor kicks?

I fear that Reeves may need a week with his ankle/workload. Would love him to get up for this one though: battling the three best rucks three weeks in a row would be such a great learning experience.

I’d also start freshening up the midfield: Worpel to have a break this week, with Ward and CMac playing more on ball. That lets Breust back in.

I think Greene needs to get his confidence back: either Scrimshaw or Rama up forward for him. If Reeves doesn’t get up, Rama for sure.

CJ in, and really hope the break freshened him up.

I’d love to see either DGB or Blanck in as well but not sure it’s happening this week.

A very unconventional future forward line of:

Lewis, Ramsden (rucking as well), butler, brockman, dgb, cj (throw in Watson from the draft in time) would be pretty interesting, all great marks and only dgb probably the weak link in pressure.

Day, jai, Mackenzie and MacDonald will all have the ability to go forward as well. Day will look like a natural chf soon.

Moore doesn’t look like a long term forward, would like to see him play a wing to use his tank and he can stretch opponents going forward.

We need a point of difference forward of Center and I truely believe that is cj and Watson, both would be extremely hard to defend with Lewis as the key. Dgb would bring Mongrel and chaos to.

Pressure forwards that can rotate in the middle would be worth their weight in gold if we can maximise our marking power going forward.

Frosty has to go, I know Sam wants to push our defenders up the ground but too many times he let his man get out the back and couldn't make the run back. It made Sicily have to play in-between, which he did poorly. Say what you will about DGB, but Amiss isn't getting open marks in the goal square on him. Jackson isn't flying uncontested while DGB fafs about on a wing. DGB playing allows our other defenders to be more aggressive, which is what our back 6 should excell at.

Frosty has to go, I know Sam wants to push our defenders up the ground but too many times he let his man get out the back and couldn't make the run back. It made Sicily have to play in-between, which he did poorly. Say what you will about DGB, but Amiss isn't getting open marks in the goal square on him. Jackson isn't flying uncontested while DGB fafs about on a wing. DGB playing allows our other defenders to be more aggressive, which is what our back 6 should excell at.
Frost is going nowhere if you listen to the post match presser.

Need another kpd (DGB) so Sicily can play 3rd tall
Need a second KPF (Ramsden) so Greene can play third tall
Butler in for pressure
McKenzie in because he can actually kick.

Outs:
Meek (can't play both Reeves and Meek)
Scrimshaw (or Greene one must play 3rd tall forward)
It is actually hard after that because we were so bad across the park. I would rather not do it but probably Weddle (balance) and McDonald

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Frost is going nowhere if you listen to the post match presser.
Yes, and interestingly, what Sam said made a lot of sense. I was very annoyed in the last few games, early on, but he ended up with very good games. But what we see early in the game tends to cloud our judgement.

Need another kpd (DGB) so Sicily can play 3rd tall
Need a second KPF (Ramsden) so Greene can play third tall
Butler in for pressure
McKenzie in because he can actually kick.

Outs:
Meek (can't play both Reeves and Meek)
Scrimshaw (or Greene one must play 3rd tall forward)
It is actually hard after that because we were so bad across the park. I would rather not do it but probably Weddle (balance) and McDonald

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have played 2 rucks for the last 15 years.

To add to that, we won’t be dropping Meek when Reeves has to contend with Gawn and Grundy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back