Review Freo Get Stomped by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

In retrospect firing a defensive-minded coach to bring in… a defensive-minded coach probably wasn’t the shrewd move we thought it was
Hilarious isn't it? Fired the old one because of games like this... Turn around and hire a softer and shittier version of him.

Thank goodness wifey & i had booked a car from 6 to 8pm Melbourne time
Only saw that insipid first 1/2
As per usual, the usual suspects are roasted & the usual golden boys are ignored
Ho hum
Have been Freo since day dot & have infected my son with this curse
Zero expectations, only hope

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven’t noticed this so much in his previous seasons but I have seen it a lot this year, NOD spends all his petrol tickets running TOWARDS goal and then has absolutely nothing left should he need to run back the other way. I have often seen him standing with hands on hips in the F50 sucking in big breaths, absolutely spent, as the ball races backward towards the D50. In his early games this year I thought maybe he was just a bit underdone but now I’m starting to worry. Has he got a tank? What’s he like in the pre season time trial? Can anyone offer some actual insight from pre season training?

Gee must have been a disaster of a match.

Haven't seen a minute and looking at the final score would be a death sentence for the coach and staff after that

I haven’t noticed this so much in his previous seasons but I have seen it a lot this year, NOD spends all his petrol tickets running TOWARDS goal and then has absolutely nothing left should he need to run back the other way. I have often seen him standing with hands on hips in the F50 sucking in big breaths, absolutely spent, as the ball races backward towards the D50. In his early games this year I thought maybe he was just a bit underdone but now I’m starting to worry. Has he got a tank? What’s he like in the pre season time trial? Can anyone offer some actual insight from pre season training?
O'Driscoll had a pretty interrupted preseason. He's only had a few preseasons in total anyways, so his current tank is far from the finished product.

god this club.

Like clockwork.

Where to begin?

Not good enough at contest. The amount of times they waltzed through the middle was embarrassing. Felt like the backline actually held up pretty well given the sheer amount of pressure they were under. When we finally won the ball we had no intent. Held it up, bombed it long. No creativity, no drive. Not sure where they begin to fix this but seemed like we really did the opposite of ‘embrace the chaos.’ Honestly felt like we lacked some leadership today which is ridiculous given some of the players we had out there.

I thought losses like these were behind us.
Will be lucky to scrape through now.

Fortunately I had to go out & only watched the first quarter. That was enough.

We utterly suck again & the worst thing is we’re only about 3 players down on our best 22 - Darcy, Aish, Chapman.

I will never understand why we have no kicking in strategy. I know if I was coaching I would want to work out at least 6 different set plays for different situations. And mix them up.
We apparently don’t consider this part of the game important & believe it begins & ends with a long bomb to the right side wing no matter where we are playing, which way the wind is blowing, which is the attacking side of the ground.

This more than anything is leading me to believe our coaches are clueless.

I noticed Sturt had similar or better stats to everyone else playing forward & had 4 shots on goal, which is about 4 more than the other forwards put together. I’m sure there are still posters queuing up to blame him for the loss.

Did I misread something. That last quarter when Ryan got outmarked. He seemed to throw a Tanti. Was it at the ump or his own team mates. Seemed pissed and having a go at someone.

The problem here is that there is no clear solution.

One of the commentators today said that JL has to go all in now and for the rest of the season. Its time to make some brutal changes starting with some wildcard replacements such as Keuk, Worner etc.

In the end I was hoping we would get a fair basting to trigger some real changes.

Our players got too relaxed getting their jimmys whacked over the bye.

I know im gonna bring up something random here....

I still remember our form in the 2017 season.

I remember that form before the bye too. Our last game before the 2017 bye was Brisbane at the Gabba.

We got smashed. It was one of those games that there was lack of effort or the fact the dockers players that night was in "Holiday mode". we lost 18.13.121 to 9.10.64.

god this club.

Like clockwork.

Where to begin?

Not good enough at contest. The amount of times they waltzed through the middle was embarrassing. Felt like the backline actually held up pretty well given the sheer amount of pressure they were under. When we finally won the ball we had no intent. Held it up, bombed it long. No creativity, no drive. Not sure where they begin to fix this but seemed like we really did the opposite of ‘embrace the chaos.’ Honestly felt like we lacked some leadership today which is ridiculous given some of the players we had out there.

I thought losses like these were behind us.
Will be lucky to scrape through now.

I hope its the case that this is the equivalent of 2010-15.

You hope 2022 was the equivalent of the 2010 season of getting top 6 and a home elim finals win.

then 2023 is our 2011, have a good 1st half and crap 2nd half.

then 2024-27 is where we make finals for 4 seasons in a row like 2012-5 then drop off.

Did I misread something. That last quarter when Ryan got outmarked. He seemed to throw a Tanti. Was it at the ump or his own team mates. Seemed pissed and having a go at someone.
Ryan and jlo were having a heated discussion at half time and half way through Ryan literally threw a hand up and walked off half way through what jlo was saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fortunately I had to go out & only watched the first quarter. That was enough.

We utterly suck again & the worst thing is we’re only about 3 players down on our best 22 - Darcy, Aish, Chapman.

I will never understand why we have no kicking in strategy. I know if I was coaching I would want to work out at least 6 different set plays for different situations. And mix them up.
We apparently don’t consider this part of the game important & believe it begins & ends with a long bomb to the right side wing no matter where we are playing, which way the wind is blowing, which is the attacking side of the ground.

This more than anything is leading me to believe our coaches are clueless.

I noticed Sturt had similar or better stats to everyone else playing forward & had 4 shots on goal, which is about 4 more than the other forwards put together. I’m sure there are still posters queuing up to blame him for the loss.
The kick ins are atrocious, just abysmal lack of coaching to let the same person take it with the same sub par result, and nil changes from the coaches.

Sturt kicked nearly half our score AND was the third highest Freo tackler, watch genius JLo drop Sturt and yet keep Banfield.

The kick ins are atrocious, just abysmal lack of coaching to let the same person take it with the same sub par result, and nil changes from the coaches.

Need to learn from what Richmond did last week. Grab the ball and go.

If it makes that much difference, we don't have the right midfield.
I remember in the pre-season one of our mids were talking about how Joel Corey gives them more freedom and control over how they play and set up at stoppages. That's clearly not working.

Last edited:
I remember in the pre-season one of our mids were talking about how Joel Corey gives them more freedom and control over how they play and set up at stoppages.
It feels that way to me. Their approach since the four wins seems to be very gung ho and overly aggressive and unaccountable They shouldn't be thinking they are that much better than quality midfields

I am very interested to see how much of a difference Darcy makes to the contested stuff / clearance work.
Darcy played for the first 4 games of the season though and that looked very much like this did. It's between the heckin' ears.

So that's on the leadership, on and off field.

Ryan and jlo were having a heated discussion at half time and half way through Ryan literally threw a hand up and walked off half way through what jlo was saying.

Was this on the telecast? I'd be interested to see it.

Ryan should pull his ******* head in to be honest. He's not performing well enough to throw a hissy fit
No, JLo should grow up and get a proper coaching approach. Luke Ryan and Alex Pearce are not the problem. The one dimensional, inflexible and inappropriate coaching JLo is bringing to the table is the problem. No AFL head coach of so many games has ever, ever produced so many goal less or 1 goal quarters as JLo. His coaching is flawed, he has lost the key players and is intellectually bankrupt on a level only matched by Simpson, Voss and Bevo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back