Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaah really, as the great Richie Benaud would say "Ah what a bugger". Still looking forward to Fallout, next weekend. The villain Solomon Lane was really good, found him quite cold, calculating and evil with real charisma. Hope he returns.
Fallout is the ****ing best. Genuinely rules. Please tag me in your review, unless you hate it then just head straight to the hotvtakes thread.

American Psycho - Netflix

Watched this a few weeks ago when it came up as number 1 recommendation - I was aware of the highlights but had forgotten more than I recalled

While not as gruesome as first depicted it still comes across as a great study of a narcissistic psychopathic personality. Watching Bale trying to work out what emotion his outer face should display is a tour de force of acting

Its focus on Bale as a metrosexual ( the term of the early 2000s ) was spot on and add in the question of responsibility made this an interesting watch

The ending leaves us with questions - which I found intriguing ( having forgotten it)

American Psycho - Netflix

Watched this a few weeks ago when it came up as number 1 recommendation - I was aware of the highlights but had forgotten more than I recalled

While not as gruesome as first depicted it still comes across as a great study of a narcissistic psychopathic personality. Watching Bale trying to work out what emotion his outer face should display is a tour de force of acting

Its focus on Bale as a metrosexual ( the term of the early 2000s ) was spot on and add in the question of responsibility made this an interesting watch

The ending leaves us with questions - which I found intriguing ( having forgotten it)
How do you interpret the ending?

How do you interpret the ending?
Still thinking on it -

I guess I fell in between where he killed some ( and dumped them where they lay) but the apartment bodies were a figment of his imagination fuelled by his other kills and desire to get control over his social group

Babylon....again.

Watched because I love the visuals and the sound track.

Story wise it made more sense to me on a second watch. You fealt the angst with the main characters as they rode the roller-coaster of fame and then be spat out at the end with no hope of recapturing their former glory.

Still thinking on it -

I guess I fell in between where he killed some ( and dumped them where they lay) but the apartment bodies were a figment of his imagination fuelled by his other kills and desire to get control over his social group
I've seen American Psycho at least 5 times and I still don't understand the ending. I like your interpretation though...impressive, very nice.

AP nice.png

I've seen American Psycho at least 5 times and I still don't understand the ending. I like your interpretation though...impressive, very nice.

View attachment 1801384
I liked the bit where he called Marcus Patrick and corrected himself. There were subtle details in the movie worth rewatching.

Watching Deja Vu on FTA and the whole explanation phase is cringey as *. Really not liking it at all.
Wtf, it's on now. This is way too high quality a movie to be on at 3 in the morning. What a random find.

Also I like it a fair bit. Apart from when Denzel smashes up the Monaro. That's bad.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

They Cloned Tyrone

Plucked this one off my Netflix list last night. Really enjoyed it... great chemistry between the 3 leads John Boyega, Jamie Foxx and Teyonah Parris. Foxx, in particular, is a standout - lets his comedic side out a bit more than usual. Who knew he'd make such a great pimp :D Well worth a watch

Kiefer Sutherland is now so old that he doesn't even look like Kiefer Sutherland any more. Was discussing it with somebody at work today, and mentioned that it's been a long time since The Lost Boys. Then I looked it up and it's actually been THIRTY FIVE ****ING YEARS since The Lost Boys. WTF. There has been a terrible mistake somewhere and I need to speak to a manager immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They Cloned Tyrone

Plucked this one off my Netflix list last night. Really enjoyed it... great chemistry between the 3 leads John Boyega, Jamie Foxx and Teyonah Parris. Foxx, in particular, is a standout - lets his comedic side out a bit more than usual. Who knew he'd make such a great pimp :D Well worth a watch

Kiefer Sutherland is now so old that he doesn't even look like Kiefer Sutherland any more. Was discussing it with somebody at work today, and mentioned that it's been a long time since The Lost Boys. Then I looked it up and it's actually been THIRTY FIVE ****ING YEARS since The Lost Boys. WTF. There has been a terrible mistake somewhere and I need to speak to a manager immediately.
He's been working so consistently (24, Designated Survivor, now Rabbit Hole) that he looks exactly like Kiefer Sutherland to me because I've never stopped seeing him.

He's been working so consistently (24, Designated Survivor, now Rabbit Hole) that he looks exactly like Kiefer Sutherland to me because I've never stopped seeing him.
I only watched 1 or 2 seasons of 24 way back when. Haven't really watched any of his other stuff apart from when he cropped up in movies from time to time eg Dark City. Otherwise to me he's always just that guy from The Lost Boys and Stand By Me.

Mary Magdalene (2018)

A portrayal of her as a key member of Jesus' disciples. Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara are fantastic in the two leading roles. The cinematography and score are very good. There's some good moments but overall the plot is quite ponderous.

I did make me want to visit Matera, where it was made.

9_27_travel_Matera-1.jpeg

4/10

Scream Franchise 1-5

Scream - Stan

The original and one that sets the mould and tone for the rest of the sequels and a new word I heard Requel

I recall the sheer delight I felt at all the self referencing the original did at the time it came out. I thought it was clever and amusing

The story and plot are minimal but the acting is surprisingly ok. Looking back 25 years its amazing how many names were in this (and the sequels)

I think the writer ( Kevin Williamson and others) certainly hit the mark on the rise of the idiot box culture which morphed into Internet and Social Media culture and how fame is determined in the Oughties and forward.

Scream 2-4 - STAN

Sequels that changed up the theme while still self referencing and laughing at its origins.

Scream 5 ( Scream 2022) - Netflix

Apparently this is the Requel which I think is a portmanteau of Reboot and Sequel but yeah ok. Star Wars did it with The Force Awakens where a new generation is introduced to new characters as the originals either die or isolate themselves on an island sucking blue milk

And like all the Scream movies the film buff nerd explains it as just that - new characters and deaths galore.

I really enjoyed them all and didnt take any of them seriously - just pure fun and some jump scares for those who need them

Oh and cliches and movie tropes galore - which 5 actually references in one of the early deaths

Did the theatre suffer a mysterious power outage caused by leftist Marxist commies trying to destroy America?
Funny enough, when I seen War of the Worlds at the cinema, there was a blackout right at the part when there's a blackout in the movie.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Theatre Camp - the founder of a theatre camp in upstate New York falls into a coma, leaving her moronic, budding finance bro son (Jimmy Tatro, who was a standout in American Vandal) to keep running the thing as a new bunch of kids arrive for the summer. Tatro and The Bear's Ayo Edebiri (as a clueless teacher who lied in her resume) are the standouts of this thing, along with the legitimately talented teens and tweens comprising the campers. Unfortunately, the focus of the film is on the characters played by the trio of nepobaby writer-directors - Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon and the insufferable Ben Platt. And while their characters are intentionally obnoxious (Galvin's aside, and to be fair I did not mind his performance), I couldn't help but notice that for all their eccentricity, there of course can be no denying their radiant talent - so I'm not sure how willing they were to truly be the butt of their own jokes.

It also bothered me that it presents itself in its premise as being a documentary but then 99% of the movie is a multi-camera feature film that completely drops the concept. Is it really so hard to stick to it? There were some quite funny moments so I didn't exactly hate it, but it definitely could've been more.

Talk To Me (2022, Cinema) -

Aussie teens connect with the supernatural by holding an embalmed hand. This was a neat concept for a horror film that didn't payoff in the third act bar the last scene. Good but just that. 6/10. Didn't help I was distracted for parts.

Breathless (1960, SBS On Demand) -

A man is on the run after killing a policeman and dreams of running away to Italy with his love interest. It has fantastic direction and style. I enjoyed how unconventional it is. In the first six minutes the main character steals a car, drive around like a maniac and shoots a cop but later the film has a 20+ minute scene in a room talking to aforementioned love interest. There's also some knockout dialogue highlighted by the "become immortal then die" line.
However I was let down by the main character's sheer unlikability which, although is the point, ultimately grated on me and detracted from the viewing experience. I also applaud the focus on gender relations but it's aged badly as the some commentary is weak and generalised whilst some parts are just downright sexist. 7/10. Immensely glad to have seen it. One of those films that might grow in esteem if I understand the context more.

Talk To Me (2022, Cinema) -

Aussie teens connect with the supernatural by holding an embalmed hand. This was a neat concept for a horror film that didn't payoff in the third act bar the last scene. Good but just that. 6/10. Didn't help I was distracted for parts.
Damn, what was distracting you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back