Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
l'm talking about the wording..Everyone keeps saying that its 2 X future firsts.... Why say its a Future first when its not? l am referencing that fact that they are saying that its "2 x future firsts"..It is end of future firsts or start of future 2nds...

That draft round needs it’s own name.

I really want one of the following combos:

Reid Wiz
Curtain Wiz

Makes us such a stronger team next season

Those overlooking wiz with 3 are delusional. Look at our team this season, we had no true crumbers that kicked goals, had Turner, spice, rhj, Mahony with the ball in space only to turn it over. Not to mention we always get slaughtered by them... We are desperate for a cocky figjam small forward.
I’m with you Wiz is the only lock for mine at pick 2 or 3

I would add wiz and caddy to the above combos I’d be happy with

Some might say caddy is a reach but I rate him highly and he’s the best KPF behind Walter

Both have serious swagger that we lack

Yep agree with 2 & 3 being McKercher and Curtain.

I would take Murphy or O'Sullivan over Caddy at 10 - Im big on George playing that medium forward next year.

Not sure why but i'm feeling a George, Duursma combo coming!

Stevenson, Larkey, Curtis
Duursma, Powell, George

Something very different for teams to match up on.

My position has been consistent for a long time now; I don't want us to trade up for Reid.

I'm starting to suspect I'm going to be disappointed 🫤
If we do trade up for Reid l only want to use our Pick#2, #19 and a (Future #19 or #20) but not both..Thats way we can still use other picks for Gc first rounder maybe #14, and #39 plus whichever Future is left..l want to go into this draft with either 1,3,14, 1,3,5(GC).

What footballer wouldn't love to go to a team on the bottom of the ladder, with an admin in disarray, a playing list going over a cliff, and a coach barely hanging on by the skin of his taint? :think:

Yes, living in Perth I do realise WC are the greatest club in the world, but still......

I'm firmly in the don't trade for Reid camp unless it's a decent deal, if it's overs, absolutely no way, we have the best draft hand we've had in over 20 years at the moment, this offeseason could literally build us into a contender if we nail it.

I'd trade 2024 19 & 20 for the Dogs #10 from GC when they get it.

It essentially makes the assistance package pick 10 & Pick 19.

Take 2,3,10,14,19 to the draft.

2) McKercher
3) Curtin
10) Caddy (if we are lucky) / Darcy Wilson / Ollie Murphy
14) Mitch Edwards / James Leake
19) Joel Freijah/Archie Roberts/Luamon Lual/Archer Reid
This 100%. What an amazing draft haul it would be, so spectacular in fact it would force Terry 'The List Manager' Wallet to come out of retirement and write a double page spread for the Herald-Sun going through each individual draftee and giving us a B+.

Fair enough, but lets see what 'best case' Reid rebuttal looks like:

F19, F20 for 10.

1 for 2 & 10

Draft 1, 3, 14, 19

1) Reid,
3) Mckercher,
14) Mitch Edwards / James Leake / Murphy
19) Joel Freijah/Archie Roberts/Luamon Lual/Archer Reid

Holes also filled.

Difference Reid v Curtin. Losing opportunity to catch Caddy if slides.

Not sure why but i'm feeling a George, Duursma combo coming!

Stevenson, Larkey, Curtis
Duursma, Powell, George

Something very different for teams to match up on.
Duursma is being overlooked a bit here I feel, he's all class and a genuine match winner. We have a few of those mid fwd types but he looks special and could push up to the wing.

I think that 1, 2 & 14 will be the crux of the deal. The other picks are just to massage it.

What most (not all) of your mob fail to realise, is the context of this. I’ll explain it to you once and once only:

• Reid does not want to leave Victoria
  • Reid’s management group Connors, are experts at ensuring their top end drafted players get where they want to go
  • WCE love Curtin
  • Curtin does not want to leave WA
  • WCE want another year of multiple first round picks
  • Rohan and Brady have a very positive relationship and have shown as recently as last year how they will work together (accepting slightly less then supporter groups would probably like) to get a mutually beneficial outcome
Big thing with these two is they seem to think outside of the box. Mega Trade Mark II?
What's to stop WC and North getting GC and Dogs involved.

Okay so you don’t believe Reid, his agent, Connor’s, CAL TWOMEY, Reid’s coach or West Coast regarding Reid being happy to come here

That’s fine, but I’ll back all of those people in before rumours on Big Footy with zero evidence and there biggest bit of proof being Sam McClure.
IMG_3840.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start with:

2023: 2, 3, 14, 19, 40, 52, 60

2024: F1, PP1, PP2, F2, F3, F4

Trade PP1 & PP2 to GC once they acquire WB pick 10. GC will need points next year as the have Leo Lombard and a few others that will once again be taken in the top 30.

Pick 52 for Dylan Stephens

Pick 40 & Pick 60 for GC Pick 35. Pick 35 to Carlton for Zac Fisher.

Future 3rd to GC for Mabior Chol

Trade Pick 10 to GWS for Pick 6 and Hayes Salary dump.

Go to the future drafts with:

2023: 2,3,6,14 & 19.

2024: F1, F2 & F4.

Pick 2: Curtin
Pick 3: McKercher/Watson
Pick 6: Caddy/O’Sullivan
Pick 14: Wilson/Windsor/Freijah
Pick 19: Edwards/Reid/Schoenmaker
Rookie 1: Ethan Phillips

2023 ins: Stephens, Fisher, Chol, Haynes, Curtin, McKercher, Caddy, Wilson, Edwards & Ethan Phillips

2024 still have F1, F2, F4.

Issue with Dursma is we have depth and talent at his position. Bull, George, Ford, Curtis.

Reid extremely versatile and best in draft. Not convinced generational. Option of him and Sheezel switching places mid match gets you excited.

Curtin could be extremely versatile aswell. KPD but spending late year in the middle a lot more.

Watson isn’t top 5 on my board but that only personal opinion. Could be partly because of height. Definitely fills a need for us though.

They aren’t saving it privately either though, which is my point. Twomey is the best in the business, Ryan Daniels is the best for us, they’ve both quashed any rumour Reid wouldn’t come here / WC wouldn’t draft him.
Of course he will go to WC if drafted by them. When was the last player drafted that refused to go to where he was drafted. Doesn't mean he is happy about it though.

I'm big on Edwards and not sure why he has slid down draft projections.

He shows his elite tap work and marking game in this game versus Ethan Reid

He had a really poor year and looked awful in the WAFL and even struggled in reserves, the talent is definitely there and he has a lot of room to grow, but his year left a lot to be desired.

Of course he will go to WC if drafted by them. When was the last player drafted that refused to go to where he was drafted. Doesn't mean he is happy about it though.

An interview with Reid today where he speaks about potentially coming to Perth.

I have no doubt once he gets here he’ll be fine and will never leave.

I just don’t see how you guys can call him a flight risk when he has done nothing or said nothing to prove that he is, we’ve also been in consistent contact with his camp as well.

I just don’t see how you guys can call him a flight risk when he has done nothing or said nothing to prove that he is, we’ve also been in consistent contact with his camp as well.
Sounds like doesn't want to leave Vic to me.:cool:

D

The line
"Obviously, Perth is a long way, but when you look at it, if you ever have got to really move interstate, I feel like it would be best to do it at the start of your career,"
I interpret that as, look, he'd rather not go because Perth is in the middle of bumfuack nowhere. But if he has to then after his first contract he can come home.

You also ignored the whole article which literally describes how much his local community means to him and how he'd like to continue to be involved in it as much as possible. You can't do that over zoom.

Yep sold. He is probably more of a flight risk for North than WC.

WC should definitely pick him with pick 1.

I think there is enough eveidence over a long period of time that shows any player that leaves his home state is a chance of returning home, there is also eveidnce that can be used to show players have settled and stayed when leaving their state.

Jackson, Rankine, JHF then you have players like Boak, Pavlich, Hurn

Where does Reid fit, none of us have a fu..... clue, so not much point arguing over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back