List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

What are port left with next year? They seemed to trade a lot of future picks too.

They would want to have a good 2024. Big gamble on some pretty middle tier players.

Hell hath no fury like a footy club's supporter base scorned. As with Brad Scott, it seems fashionable to heap scorn on Port due to JHF. (Not suggesting you've necessarily done this here Zebs, but plenty have.)

The draft is but one mechanism for obtaining players, and the fact that they've neglected it this year says more about where they see themselves on the 'premiership clock'. It's a matter of perception, of course, but at the end of the day, they see themselves needing to top up with more mature, role players to complement a side that went okay for a fair chunk of the 2023 season. How many years have we derided Geelong for being 'too old'?

So, with Ivan Soldo and Jordon Sweet (seasoned ruck and decent young ruck prospect), and Esava Ratugolea and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher as non-18 year old backline players, they've presumably recruited with the view to being immediately competitive. They also didn't start with a good draft hand, courtesy of last year's trades, one of which we shan't mention.

All his picks were needs basis not best available
That’s how to blow up a club in 18 picks
Always go best available with your first picks. That being said… Watson ain’t dropping past 5. He isn’t a mile off the mark. I take Reid, Mckertcher and Curtin ahead of him.

NORTH MELBOURNE​

INS: Zac Fisher, Dylan Stephens, Bigoa Nyuon, 2023 Round One compensation pick (Currently Pick No.3), 2023 First-Round Selection (Currently Pick No.17), 2023 Round-One Selection (Currently Pick No.18)

OUTS: Ben McKay, 2023 First-Round Selection (Currently Pick No.22), 2023 Fourth-Round Selection (Currently Pick No.45), 2023 Fourth-Round Selection (Currently Pick No.65), Future End of Round One Special Assistance, Future End of Round One Special Assistance Pick

2023 DRAFT PICKS: 2, 3, 15, 17, 18, 57, 82

Grade: A-

Got Pick No.3 as compensation for losing Ben McKay as an unrestricted free agent and managed to get five picks inside the top 20. Expect them to now turn their attention to West Coast’s No.1 pick.

lb2snake said:
That board is pretty misleading, but I love it. We also had 2 PP’s

Absolutely misleading; the one above is a better representation. The other one indicates that 17, 18, Fisher and Stephens somehow 'materialised'. Yeah, we got some decent outcomes, but they weren't somehow obtained from thin air.

That said, it's not a bad thing for the seagulls who digest AFL media. Instead of yesterday's news and complaining about our assistance package, the narrative is now that we 'managed to get five picks inside the top 20' and how will we use them.

Can Harley just come out now and say he doesn’t want to leave vic

Let’s force the eagles hand

And get done for tampering? It’s already shameless enough what they’ve been doing with McClure.

This trade season was so boring I've decided to download Baldur's Gate 3 to confront my irrational disliking of the fantasy genre head on.
i'm all about the rpg's, mind that it doesn't get your claws into you, weeks just fall off the calendar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight is the first night I've actually thought this might have actual legs.

"Not that big of a gap between Harley and the rest" is an extremely strange comment by the Eagles list manager on Perth radio an hour ago.
His right. Harley looks great and I’m very pro trading for him however, Mckertcher is not that far behind. Also on an open market Eagles take Walter I think.

Curious, is the a limitation to how much of Ben McKay's contract can be paid out each year?

So, going on that his getting 850k a year as reported, can they pay out so much in the first year to pay him only 700k each of the following years?

I know a lot of contracts are front or back ended, but surely AFL would have a limit?

Before going into the draft we needed:

• Multiple key defenders
  • A helper for Larkey
  • A small forward
  • Outside run

I reckon we only addressed one of those during period, and will probably come out of the draft with two more elite midfielders 😅

Tonight is the first night I've actually thought this might have actual legs.

"Not that big of a gap between Harley and the rest" is an extremely strange comment by the Eagles list manager on Perth radio an hour ago.

Just listened to it, definitely the first time they’ve softened their stance.

Said other lads closed the gap this year, “if there was one”. And that he isn’t miles ahead of the rest like people suggest.

Hmmmmmm…

Before going into the draft we needed:

• Multiple key defenders
  • A helper for Larkey
  • A small forward
  • Outside run

I reckon we only addressed one of those during period, and will probably come out of the draft with two more elite midfielders 😅
Harsh. Seems to me we definitively addressed the first and last of those four points. Dawson, Pink, Nyuon, Comben and Corr is enough personnel to raffle between until Logue comes back. We're still gonna struggle back there (load up on Lynch for 5+ if we cop Richmond before R16) but it isn't as dire as it could be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back