List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say I was impressed with those few minutes of Thursfield footage too. Answered questions directly and clearly, conveying the overall goal very well. Gives off every impression of being sharp and switched on, which is nice to have in comparison to the muddy quagmire of incompetence we had a mere three years ago

Yeah Finegan doesn’t strike me as a gun recruiter based on available evidence. All the more surprising that he’s landed at hawthorn

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Few of the guys who have been listed as busts had an awful run with injuries.

Also, the 2020 draft looks a stinker in general.
In 2020...

WiPhi then Campbell (Swans academy,) DGB, McDonald who looks like he is heading home already, Hollands who just got busted with something or other and then Nick Cox

2019 - Mahony bust, Perez bust, Chom not busted yet (tho he's come close a few times.)
2020 - Phillips, Powell, Ford not busted yet; Lazz - ???, Spicer - bust
2021 - JHF not really an option we had to take him, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer - not busted yet.

So three busts or four counting JHF, one probable bust and 8 not busted yet = a plethora now.
He came back to us dec 2020. He's been responsible for the 2021 & 2022 drafts. His only bust so far is Jacob Edwards and the CCJ trade isn't looking great ATM. As far as Judas goes...anyone can get bitten by a snake in the grass.

He came back to us dec 2020. He's been responsible for the 2021 & 2022 drafts. His only bust so far is Jacob Edwards and the CCJ trade isn't looking great ATM.
ATM is kind. Even if by miracle CCJ turns into a decent footballer, we overpaid and got unnecessarily bent over the trade table by Richmond.

Jury is definitely still out re: Brady alot of his selections (outside of the top ones) aren’t either clear successes or failures at this stage. And fwiw I wouldn’t judge him on either Archer or Harvey who he was basically obligated to select.

ATM is kind. Even if by miracle CCJ turns into a decent footballer, we overpaid and got unnecessarily bent over the trade table by Ricbmond.

Jury is definitely still out re: Brady alot of his selections (outside of the top ones) are either clear successes or failures at this stage.
What failures?
He's drafted Judas, Goater, Bergman, Curtis, Archer, Sheezel, Warlord, George, Harvey in the national draft.
Edwards, Dawson, Hansen in the mid-season draft.

What failures?
He's drafted Judas, Goater, Bergman, Curtis, Archer, Sheezel, Warlord, George, Harvey in the national draft.
Huh? i said aside from Sheezel and Wardlaw those other dudes aren’t successes or failures at this stage. If you’re trying to say otherwise then you’re being ridiculously biased. (And you forgot Spicer)

Huh? i said aside from Sheezel and Wardlaw those other dudes aren’t successes or failures at this stage. If you’re trying to say otherwise then you’re being ridiculously biased. (And you forgot Spicer)
I think I miss read your post, sorry. Yes it is too early to pass judgement, I agree.

And spicer was 2020

Last edited:
Hard to judge his drafting fully yet. Only been there, what 3 years? Some haven't made it, but it happens to even the so called gurus. Criticism because we didn't take someone's favourite player they know * all about is invalid.

His live trading to get George looks like it may have some legs.

Trading we seem to focus on getting the end result we want rather than "bending teams over".

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Can only really judge trading at the moment as drafting is a bit early to judge.

CCJ trade was a shocker. Brown trade not great (we may not have gotten much more but he publicly said we didn't want him before the trade period, taking away any small bit of.leverage we still had). Did okay to turn this situation into Stephenson.

Had a great trade period this year though, and did well to salvage the JHF situation. Logue and Tucker deals also sound, albeit with "free" picks.

Suspect having a proper coach and head of football now has helped a lot.

2019 - Mahony bust, Perez bust, Chom not busted yet (tho he's come close a few times.)
2020 - Phillips, Powell, Ford not busted yet; Lazz - ???, Spicer - bust
2021 - JHF not really an option we had to take him, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer - not busted yet.

So three busts or four counting JHF, one probable bust and 8 not busted yet = a plethora now

very much a function of where we access draft picks. Statistically speaking is anyone surprised 2019, Chom aside, that draft was a bust? ie/ how many players drafted in the 30s and 40's have long afl careers? At least they all played AFL, and if not for injury I think Perez showed enough in those early games in 2020 to have made it. Don't forget 2019 we also picked up Dees future first which netted us Powell. So really of that list, its really only Mahoney and Spicer (who was very speculative anyway) that are busts. Lazarro I think is far from a bust, starved for opportunities in his best position as an inside mid. Good person and strong work ethic, could surprise a few this year, or equally wouldn't surprise if ended up a 100 game player at another club with more midfield opportunity. I think the mark of quality recruitment is picking players outside of the first round who make it, and so on that basis, Bergman, Ford, Curtis and Chom all have very high ceilings, and I for one thing Brady is doing an excellent job.

very much a function of where we access draft picks. Statistically speaking is anyone surprised 2019, Chom aside, that draft was a bust? ie/ how many players drafted in the 30s and 40's have long afl careers? At least they all played AFL, and if not for injury I think Perez showed enough in those early games in 2020 to have made it. Don't forget 2019 we also picked up Dees future first which netted us Powell. So really of that list, its really only Mahoney and Spicer (who was very speculative anyway) that are busts. Lazarro I think is far from a bust, starved for opportunities in his best position as an inside mid. Good person and strong work ethic, could surprise a few this year, or equally wouldn't surprise if ended up a 100 game player at another club with more midfield opportunity. I think the mark of quality recruitment is picking players outside of the first round who make it, and so on that basis, Bergman, Ford, Curtis and Chom all have very high ceilings, and I for one thing Brady is doing an excellent job.
Shouldn’t have traded out of that first round in 2019

Serong/Flanders/kossie were all options there

Hopefully Powell becomes better than all of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be five years until we can properly judge if it works out, but I agree with his overall philosophy.

Since 2021, with a few exceptions, we've seen that he wants to bring in players that have the athletic tools to succeed at the next level. Previously we saw guys like Logue, Wardlaw, George, and Goater brought in as these large explosive and powerful athletes. This year the picks we had allowed us to double down and pick up some more exciting high upside guys like Goad, Maley, Hardeman, and Dawson.

The previous decade it seemed like we had a constant stream coming in of these vanilla spuds that barely had an elite attribute between them. We haven't seen Brayden George play a game yet, but you look at his size and the way that he moves and it's not hard to see the potential that he has over previous picks like Mahony, Wagner, Bastinac, Clarke, Lazzaro, EVW, Mountford, Dumont, Wilkins, McKenzie and basically every rookie pick taken in that time with the exception of Zurhaar and Preuss. Some of those were decent players, but I picked them all out as they all blend together as what I'd consider below average AFL athletes.

Ok so he was in charge 2020 too. My bad.
Brady was on 'Gardening Leave' for the 2020 draft part of the deal in West Coast releasing him. Some posters like to think that draft still has his fingerprints all over it so that they can continue to support their narrative that he's incompetent at his job. Others have a more balanced view.

He still deserves some leniency for the 2020 draft.

He starts Dec 2019, and within a few months the state is in lockdown. A few months later he is cleaning up messes left and right, dealing with a senior coach resigning, and also having to fire his own brother. He then has to draft having never seen most of the draftees play in person and having met most of them only through Zoom. The draft strategy in 2020 felt very different to 2021, and it's not a wild assumption to assume Luff had a much greater influence in that year.

The CCJ trade is the biggest negative against him, but he has been a lot more competent in that area since Noble left.

Brady was on 'Gardening Leave' for the 2020 draft part of the deal in West Coast releasing him. Some posters like to think that draft still has his fingerprints all over it so that they can continue to support their narrative that he's incompetent at his job. Others have a more balanced view.
List management with various different football departments over a short space of time would have it's challenges.

Be interesting to see how gurus like Wells etc would go under the circumstances.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

What failures?
Phillips, Powell, Lazz, Spicer and Ford as well. Lets ignore 2019 for now cos there were big changes in priorities etc once he was settled at the club, after that period.

Spicer and Edwards are gone. As is Judas. Goater and Lazz look the least likely of the rest imo (except Coops and Jacko, juries out on them too) and they both show a bit but Goater needs fitness and Lazz is behind a lot of good players. BGeorge is an unknown quantity but the sort of opportunity you need to take imo (as were Perez and Comben). Bergman, Curtis, KDawson, Ford are all good picks imo.

The CCJ trade looks bad but not as bad as it could look if Brady hadn't done well to make up for the lost f2, which got us BGeorge iirc.

Otherwise he's done pretty well and after four trade/drafts our list is starting to take good shape. There's more talent on the list and structure to it. When he took over it was pretty ad hoc. Now its definitely faster and smarter.

We wouldn't have had to live trade to get BG if he hadn't made the awful CCJ trade though.
So he made a mistake and he fixed it to our benefit.

No one will be perfect, everyone makes mistakes and its the ability to deal with those mistakes and recover while learning from them that makes people successful.

At the same time he has netted us Wardlaw and Powell when we could have had neither and regretted it. Flanders and Cerra could be better or they could be the same or not as good. (Personally my favorite player from that draft was Pickett, even when he was ranked in the 30s.) I think Powell has high footy IQ and great situational awareness and that's worth alot to an already talented side.

We rebuilt from the ground up, have the makings of a very good midfield and are adding the outside talent to make the most of our ball winning ability. After this draft and trade period we have ten KPPs and three ruck options with some interchangeability

Remove this Banner Ad

Back