Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's our back 7 looking like for the 1st half of the season? Do we expect Corr to be playing rd1 now?

Bergman/Corr Pink McDonald
McKercher Comben Fisher

with Bergman/Goater on the bench.

For sure Lukey has a place early doors, he needs to be the leader down there because without Corr and Louge it's pretty light on for experience. But he'll have to provide leadership and output in his position from the get go.

Because there's Louge, Biggie, Archer, Hardeman to be pressing for spots in defense as the year wears on. Maybe Scott is back on a flank too.

Congrats Luke hope you have a great season and silence a few well quite a few on here. Well done mate.
He won't be silencing anyone lol. His 2023 was awful and he deserves every criticism he's received for it. I hope he turns it around and has a good season, in fact we desperately need him to now that the players have once again bestowed undroppable status on him, but it won't make those observations about his season retroactively incorrect.

He won't be silencing anyone lol. His 2023 was awful and he deserves every criticism he's received for it. I hope he turns it around and has a good season, in fact we desperately need him to now that the players have once again bestowed undroppable status on him, but it won't make those observations about his season retroactively incorrect.
And i am sure Luke knows his form was not great last year doesn't need anyone reminding him of the fact. So you obviously believe that Clarko is the type of coach to just play him because he is captain regardless of his form.

Arts ha that explains why his been playing like a clown for the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mmm - so you have no time for philosophical, sociological and psychological thinking - fundamentally to critically think …. - I really hate statements like yours that show so must ignorance!

A few quarters of the Richmond game, the Gold Coast game and a practice match against Collingwood later - yes it’s not much to go on but I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s been amazing to see a career be slammed shut in real time.

The blokes all heart and I get that, but if Clarko is getting his game plan off the ground aka “NorthBall” then this bloke cannot possibly be apart of its success.

If he was taller he’d be perfect but watching Sheezel, Kerch, Bergman and Fisher compliment Dawson, Pink and Goater today - I saw speed and agility combined with effective spoiling and a defensive unit that had effective ball movement that operated with fluidity.

McDonald is the total opposite of that.

Limited to one side, slow kicking action and not the cleanest by hand - the only elite trait he has are his hands but he’s too small to play as a third tall.

The only hope I have is if I’m proved wrong and he plays each week and we see improvement, then he’s had his best year since 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't he coming back from something?

Injury list had him as 'reconditioning: 1 week'. That was two weeks ago.

Be very interested to see when/if he gets back into the AFL best 22 squad.

It's pretty unfortunate how the Captain of our Footy Club is a favourite whipping boy on here (I'm of course guilty myself), I remember his first few seasons as a solid young defender, a huge shame he hasn't quite developed into the player we were all hoping for.

It's pretty unfortunate how the Captain of our Footy Club is a favourite whipping boy on here (I'm of course guilty myself), I remember his first few seasons as a solid young defender, a huge shame he hasn't quite developed into the player we were all hoping for.
You could set the land speed record on the plateau that is Luke’s career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back