Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Victim of expectation. We were following him from the time he was 16 and expected him to be a huge star. Instead he's become a solid player and people feel cheated by that.

If Clarko comes on board I'm very keen to see what he can get out of Luke.
Some of the serviceable role players will still be serviceable role players in a couple years when we are making a finals tilt. Luke's a great intercept, and tough as teak. Makes the odd blue, but will still be a mainstay when his contract expires in 2026. If he is pushed out then we will be a good footy side

Some of the serviceable role players will still be serviceable role players in a couple years when we are making a finals tilt. Luke's a great intercept, and tough as teak. Makes the odd blue, but will still be a mainstay when his contract expires in 2026. If he is pushed out then we will be a good footy side
He'll be turning 32 in 2027 during the pre season.

I agree with your assessment of him tho.

In year 9, he’s exactly what he was in year 1.

No better. No worse.

He just is.

He’s not exactly the same. He has gotten better. He won the 2020 BnF. He’s a good player.

I think people expected more because as a junior he was so dominant, but that’s probably due to early development.

He’s not exactly the same. He has gotten better. He won the 2020 BnF. He’s a good player.

I think people expected more because as a junior he was so dominant, but that’s probably due to early development.
He’s always been a disciplined defender and yeah, he’s a good player.

He’s just good. Not great. Not exceptional.

A solid 7/10, non-match winner that all clubs have.

After nine years, and 150+ games I expected more.

Fair enough. I think he was overrated as a junior and has been underrated as a senior. 7/10 ain’t bad. I agree with that.

Fair enough. I think he was overrated as a junior and has been underrated as a senior. 7/10 ain’t bad. I agree with that.
In a better side (soon we hope), when the ball isn’t dropping into defence like yank bombs over Laos, I reckon he’d be an 8. And nothing wrong with that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the thing that keeps him as a b-rated player is that he has all the defensive side, intercept marking and fundamentals down, but he has not developed the attacking weapons we hoped as a junior. His kicking is only sometimes great, his hand balling is generally average and his vision is average as well.

You blokes are harsh. When he has played intercepting defender on a number of occasions this year he has been amazing. Look at Hawks Round 1, he was dominant. Then the next week we use him to play on the No 1 small forwards because we haven’t filled that small defender hole in our list yet. It’s not a role he is particularly suited to but he fronts up and makes a pretty good fist of it more often than not. True club man and has plenty of great footy ahead as we improve and he can play to his strengths.

Bit hard to show any flair or dash in our team the last 3 years ,generally a players peak yrs. I think Luke is a good player and clubman hopefully next few yrs we get better and see some success and he can come along for the ride .

Is McDonald the reason we lost?

Of course not.

Him being considered a senior leader at our club is however a huge reason why we keep losing.

He does some nice things such as courageous intercept marks, but I wish someone would point out that he is not as sh*t hot as he thinks he is with ball in hand.

Some of his fumbles, getting caught embarrassingly with the ball and kicking directly to the opposition with overly cute kicks erases all his good work.

Can’t help but think they should’ve given to someone slightly more athletic.

Bonar or Dawson would’ve been my choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back