Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so he played ok against St.Kilda well there not much but it’s 1 game his played ok now start building a block of 8 to 10 games in a row and go from playing ok to playing well.
Unfortunately playing in Darwin next Saturday he could go to an all time low and be shown up for lack of skill and leadership maybe he could throw in a quick promo of his super box to distract everyone.

Thought last week that it seemed there was a different level of determination in his voice in that post match vid.

Like there was a rocket that went off inside his head that should have been there as captain of the club that he is good enough to lead and it’s time.

Over his career his best is good enough for him to lead the club this year.

But he had to get it into his own head and compete with some authority like he did yesterday.

Let’s hope this is the return to the confidence he displayed in 2020 and he at least gives us some surety moving forward.

I’m a little more optimistic about his form yesterday than I have been since Round 1 & 2 last year.

Fingers crossed because we need some consistent leadership desperately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I thought he was better yesterday compared to his previous weeks (and years?), I still thought his game was pretty poor overall.

While I thought he was better yesterday compared to his previous weeks (and years?), I still thought his game was pretty poor overall.
True. Yesterday he did what ought to have been considered the minimum standard for an experienced defender and captain of the club.

Yesterday in the first half when McDonald was playing on Membrey, he let him push right up past the Centre circle and take an uncontested mark close to our HFF. I remember Drury manning the mark and then looking to see who was playing on Membrey and giving Luke a cold stare as if to say “wtf are you doing”…. We can’t go on with Lmac and Simpkin as our captains. They aren’t the on field leaders we need them to be, and their output isn’t matching what a senior player should be providing.

It’s laughable that that performance leads to a pat on the back.

That’s the absolute minimum you’d expect from a 28 year old captain FFS.

Exactly. It’s nothing to write home about.

I’m supposed to be proud you puked after a game? Big ******* deal, I’ve puked many times after workouts and training sessions, and I wasn’t being paid to leave nothing in the tank.

If that’s the absolute best he can give right now, then he’s still not good enough.

Yesterday in the first half when McDonald was playing on Membrey, he let him push right up past the Centre circle and take an uncontested mark close to our HFF. I remember Drury manning the mark and then looking to see who was playing on Membrey and giving Luke a cold stare as if to say “wtf are you doing”…. We can’t go on with Lmac and Simpkin as our captains. They aren’t the on field leaders we need them to be, and their output isn’t matching what a senior player should be providing.
I’m pretty sure a defender allowing their opponent to take a mark near the other end of the ground is not an issue, they are hardly going to follow them everywhere if they aren’t a danger in the forward line. I get the general point but I don’t think Saturday is the best game to make a point about LMac’s adequacy as a defender. Also I’m sure he’d rather get a stare from you than from Clarko if he runs out of position chasing Membrey and then can’t get back to do his job of defending the goal.

He does kill us with his disposal. The effort is there but geez he hurts us. I remember a few minutes into the game of the 3rd quarter where Scott handballed to him in open space just outside the 50 and he kicks it to 4 on 1 in the goal square. We had 2-3 guys asking for a chip pass to set up a goal completely open. He might get another season or 2 but farkkk we need to take the Captaincy off him at the end of the year. Does anyone remember that passage of play or have a video of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back