Preview 2024 Round 2 Freo v Roos

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully we find a spot on the team for Erasmus soon..Signed to 2025 but have to assume he is a trade request chance if he doesn't break into the side soon..hopefully not to west coast.

I wonder if Fyfe will be subbed, given they are taking JOM and Brodie. I think there is a fair chance and I dont mind it given his history at the stadium and he was quite tired last week. JOM could be in for Cox and Brodie in for Ras or alternatively Tabs comes in for Cox and JOM comes in for Ras. Either way I think Nat gets subbed this week, especially if we are comfortably in front in the third.

Final guess would be Brodie is just the first emergency and will come in if Clark doesnt get up and they decide they have no choice but to put Young back (I would rather do just about anything but this including Banfield back and Simpson forward).

JOM to sub, Tabs, Draper, Walker in
I'm not sure if JOM has ever been the sub when selected. JL really seems to rate him.

I wonder if Fyfe will be subbed, given they are taking JOM and Brodie. I think there is a fair chance and I dont mind it given his history at the stadium and he was quite tired last week. JOM could be in for Cox and Brodie in for Ras or alternatively Tabs comes in for Cox and JOM comes in for Ras. Either way I think Nat gets subbed this week, especially if we are comfortably in front in the third.
I hope Fyfe is subbed - this would mean we haven't lost 3 guys. (like last week).

I think they will just monitor how Fyfe is going and how he feels

So, it seems like:

Draper - > OMac
Walker - > Worner
Tabs - > Cox
JOM - > Ras

Only question them becomes who is the sub? Which i would imagine is most likely to be on of JOM, Emmett, Banfield, Johnson.

If it is Johnson i will be extremely disappointed. Makes sense that it would be Banfield with JOM moving into his spot.

Many possible permutations with both Brodie and JOM on the plane and Ras not, but I hope one of them is not both of those guys in and Johnson to sub

Edit - what Wizard just said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we find a spot on the team for Erasmus soon..Signed to 2025 but have to assume he is a trade request chance if he doesn't break into the side soon..hopefully not to west coast.
He doesn't look like a top 10 pick at this stage. I know Andy Brayshaw wasn't brilliant immediately, and you don't want to write off young guys so will be interesting to see how he develops. The main problem is his strength is as an inside mid and I don't know if there is room for him there. He somehow needs to get selected in another position - I just don't know which one.

Last edited:
So, it seems like:

Draper - > OMac
Walker - > Worner
Tabs - > Cox
JOM - > Ras

Only question them becomes who is the sub? Which i would imagine is most likely to be on of JOM, Emmett, Banfield, Johnson.

If it is Johnson i will be extremely disappointed. Makes sense that it would be Banfield with JOM moving into his spot.
it should be Draper - let him watch the game a little bit before throwing him in

Matt Johnson had an absolute clanger of a game. Neil Erasmus should feel hard done by, he didnt put a foot wrong.
I'll take a complete dropping over traveling emergency, at the very least he can put some runs on the board in the WAFL practice match.

Would like to see Draper and Cooper in. I'm yet to see anything that elevates Ras above De Boer levels (not awful but not great) yet so he can stay sub.
Just a thought:

Fyfe to sub, Erasmus to the midfield.

Reduces the great man's exposure to a hostile surface, gives Erasmus an opportunity against his peers.

He doesn't look like a top 10 pick at this stage. I know Andy Brayshaw wasn't brilliant immediately, and you don't want to write off young guys so will be interesting to see how he develops. The main problem is his strength is as an inside mid and I don't know if there is room for him there. He somehow needs to get selected in another position - I just don't know which one.

This is it in a nutshell for me.

It’s inside mid or nothing from my point of view for Erasmus.

Erasmus doesn’t have a 2nd position. He’s an inside mid. It’s tempting to want to put him on a wing due to his running capacity but his foot skills let him down, and he hasn’t shown the overhead marking skills at AFL level that he showed in his junior days.

He looked elite as an inside mid at WAFL level
In 2022 but Freo are stacked for inside mids.

10 was probably high, but there was a mystique around Erasmus due to his blistering PSA form and then he was injured and didn’t play elite competitions. If you didn’t take him at 10, we would have taken him at 12.

Back