Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I loathe Ross Lyon but, given the way the Saints played last night, and how he appears to have changed that perennially dysfunctional club in just one season, can step in at West Lakes right now. And I mean RIGHT NOW, in time for tonight's game.

No thanks.

Anyone else getting a some scary Neil Craig vibes from the press conference?

Learnings
Process
Small adjustments
Finals is the target

Neither Silver nor Nicks said the “P” word.

I hope it all works out for us, I really do, but I’m not sold yet … that this is our premiership coach.

But what would I know, I wanted Ross the Boss
The club has always adopted Neil's philosophies as our guiding light since his time, with nothing to show from it.

Personnel changes, and the ship of the Argonauts plots on into a sea of nothingness.

Nicks said he believed "strongly" their "game style" would stand up in Finals:
" ... the work we have to do is to get ourselves there".
So far, Nicks' game style has not got them "there". If it's not good/strong enough to get them into finals, it's not good enough to win them, mate.
2024 will tell, I suppose.

Well, the presser was about his re-signing. The goal of a "P" is assumed, I guess.

So do I, but I have the same fear, that Nicks will not be our Flag Coach.
Of the Flag-winning Coaches since 2020, Nicks reminds me most of Adam Simpson --- pleasant bloke, understated, well-spoken, calm --- or maybe Goodwin too. Both outliers.
The rest of them are hard, uncompromising, lose-hating tough nuts like Clarko who influenced Assistants so strongly that they became Premiership Coaches too.

Back in 2019, or now?
Lyons' mob towelled up the Pies last night, with this goal allowed (look where 2 Umpires are :oops:):

View attachment 1935460
It looks like Lyon's changed his game plan somewhat --- live and learn, eh? :sneaky: --- because the Saints were not just a dour, miserly defensive side last night.
Their pressure and attacking rebound last night was impresssive.
Geelong beat them in R1, but they've had a day less than us to recover.
It’s hard to tell if the ball is completely over the line in that shot, to me it looks like the top is clipping the outside of the line.

Until Nicks gets the right players in the right positions it’s hard to know how his game style is going. I don’t mind it but I detest his panicking ways going ultra conservative when things aren’t going smoothly.

TEX ON HIS COACHES​

Neil Craig (2004-2011)
“He taught the real professionalism of being an elite athlete, that’s what he taught me.”

Brenton Sanderson (2012-14)
“He taught the craft of the game. He came from Geelong and they had a few handy players back when they were flying, so he was massive on the craft of the game.’’

Phil Walsh (2015)
“He was probably the first coach who instilled belief in me. He gave me the opportunity to be captain and I am very grateful. I still remember going to Dean Bailey’s funeral and Walshy getting up and doing the eulogy. He spoke without any notes or prompts, and he didn’t fumble a word. I said to myself, ‘I need to meet this bloke’. Unbeknown to me, a couple of years later he was our senior coach. It was unbelievable how the stars aligned.’’

Don Pyke (2016-2019)
“He’s a beautiful man, Pykey. I loved Pykey. He’s an all-round coach. He was really good at teaching you the game but also really caring about you as a person. He would know my brother, my sister, my mum, my dad, all their names, my wife, my kids. This pre-season, when we played West Coast, he came up and said, ‘How is Hugo, Louey and Hattie.’’ An amazing man. I love him.’’

Matthew Nicks (2020-present)
“He’s been awesome as well. He gets the modern game, he’s a good teacher of the game. And he’s a very good listener, too. He’s open to ideas. And he’s amazing with family. He lets you go to weddings, or drop the kids off at school. If that means you’re late to a meeting that doesn’t bother him in the slightest. It’s pretty cool.’’

Nicks would have been a great coach for the Brisbane Bears.

Honestly, the most loyal rusted ons I know barely care any more
The happiest supporters I know were born after our flags and don't realise they've set the bar low. Then there are the dinosaurs that think it's state of origin and barrack for both SA teams.

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

It’s hard to tell if the ball is completely over the line in that shot, to me it looks like the top is clipping the outside of the line.
There's a 0.57 clip of it here --- slow the vid down to 0.5 speed, have a look :expressionless:, a few times:

Higgins himself said:
"I was in the Monash Uni car park out at Caulfield" :sneaky:

Then there are the dinosaurs that think it's state of origin and barrack for both SA teams.
The morning after the 2007 GF, people were calling in to AA saying "I'm a Crows supporter, but I was disappointed Port didn't put up a better showing for SA". One after the other.

It got too much for me. I called in and said "Rowie, I'm a Crows supporter ... and I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!". Got a pretty positive reception from Rowie :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C’mon, pretty hard to spot that in real time. And it’s going to look different from where they’re standing too.
C'mon? :rolleyes:

What "C'mon" :confusedv1:?? I don't give a rat's if it was in or out.
OK, I was surprised it was allowed especially after last year (see below), but meh >shrug<.

And yes, the commentators and both Umps might have been influenced by error of parallax.
I’d prefer they let the close calls go rather than guessing.
That's what happened Crows vs Sydney last year. A "close call", remember?
It was let go, not reviewed, and caused a storm of howling protests, one of the biggest melts I've ever seen.

The happiest supporters I know were born after our flags and don't realise they've set the bar low. Then there are the dinosaurs that think it's state of origin and barrack for both SA teams.

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif
The former is tik tok brain rot and the latter is lead poisoning.

:handpointdown::handpointdown::handpointdown::handpointdown:

There‘s a couple of quick, easy and foolproof ways to tell if someone is not a real Crows supporter :

1. If he or she says something resembling “I don’t mind seeing Port win” or “I barrack for Port if they’re not playing the Crows” then this individual has exposed themselves as a fraudulent Crows supporter. Tread carefully around these types.

2. If he or she is not in a perpetual state of annoyance and irritation at the club and especially the club’s administration (and at times even seems happy about being a Crows fan), then this person is a fraudulent Crows supporter. To be a real Crows supporter is to be perpetually annoyed and irritated.

C'mon? :rolleyes:

What "C'mon" :confusedv1:?? I don't give a rat's if it was in or out.
OK, I was surprised it was allowed especially after last year (see below), but meh >shrug<.

And yes, the commentators and both Umps might have been influenced by error of parallax.

That's what happened Crows vs Sydney last year. A "close call", remember?
It was let go, not reviewed, and caused a storm of howling protests, one of the biggest melts I've ever seen.

That wasn't a close call.

The morning after the 2007 GF, people were calling in to AA saying "I'm a Crows supporter, but I was disappointed Port didn't put up a better showing for SA". One after the other.

The one that really grinds my gears is, “I’m a Crows supporter but we need a strong Port for footy in this state!”

Seriously. F*ck off.

It got too much for me. I called in and said "Rowie, I'm a Crows supporter ... and I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!". Got a pretty positive reception from Rowie :)
100% this

Its a club based comp, not state based.

If its a Port vs Collingwood GF for example, I'm hoping that Port get thrashed. That's why I (and I would hope the majority of our supporters) loved the 2007 result.

I absolutely f**** hate those Alberton flogs.

Back