Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The happiest supporters I know were born after our flags and don't realise they've set the bar low. Then there are the dinosaurs that think it's state of origin and barrack for both SA teams.

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif
So glad I’m in the middle 💪

The morning after the 2007 GF, people were calling in to AA saying "I'm a Crows supporter, but I was disappointed Port didn't put up a better showing for SA". One after the other.

It got too much for me. I called in and said "Rowie, I'm a Crows supporter ... and I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!". Got a pretty positive reception from Rowie :)

I'm with you there. I was at the Settlers Hotel and almost didn't make it home cheering for Geelong among the pub full of Power supporters.

Nicks said he believed "strongly" their "game style" would stand up in Finals:
" ... the work we have to do is to get ourselves there".
So far, Nicks' game style has not got them "there". If it's not good/strong enough to get them into finals, it's not good enough to win them, mate.
2024 will tell, I suppose.

Well, the presser was about his re-signing. The goal of a "P" is assumed, I guess.

So do I, but I have the same fear, that Nicks will not be our Flag Coach.
Of the Flag-winning Coaches since 2020, Nicks reminds me most of Adam Simpson --- pleasant bloke, understated, well-spoken, calm --- or maybe Goodwin too. Both outliers.
The rest of them are hard, uncompromising, lose-hating tough nuts like Clarko who influenced Assistants so strongly that they became Premiership Coaches too.

Back in 2019, or now?
Lyons' mob towelled up the Pies last night, with this goal allowed (look where 2 Umpires are :oops:):

View attachment 1935460
It looks like Lyon's changed his game plan somewhat --- live and learn, eh? :sneaky: --- because the Saints were not just a dour, miserly defensive side last night.
Their pressure and attacking rebound last night was impresssive.
It shocks me how many people don't understand parallax error. It doesn't really look like the entirety of that ball crossed the entirety of that line - and the two umpires are in a good spot to see that as at least one of them has a good line up with the boundary tangent. I agree that from the camera angle provided it's breathtakingly close. Had the camera been further around the boundary it would, I suspect, show that part of the ball remained above the white of the line at the point of foot contact.

I find it a little ironic that Nicks gets re-signed on the same week that Lachie Murphy is playing his 100th game.
Is Nicks the Lachie Murphy of coaches ?
Compare the Pair
Both seem highly overrated internally compared to the football community view.
Value leadership over talent
Still making the same mistakes they were 5 years ago
Terrible away records
Show little improvement
Think they are on the right path
Think they will be there for another 100 games
:)

There's a 0.57 clip of it here --- slow the vid down to 0.5 speed, have a look :expressionless:, a few times:

Higgins himself said:
"I was in the Monash Uni car park out at Caulfield" :sneaky:
Still looks good even slowed down.
At normal speed it’s too hard to be 100% certain the ball is completely over the line, especially at that angle. Umps were in a better position.

It shocks me how many people don't understand parallax error.
Thanks for such a smart response :thumbsu:.
Two things:
--- I had a vehicle whose speedo needle was set out from the numbers on the base. My ex- used to tell me to slow down because from her pov I was going about 5-7kph over the limit, which I did not appreciate. I tried telling her about viewing angle and error of parallax to no avail. She and the car are both long gone.
I miss that car :sneaky: .

--- watching footy on tv with my sister years ago, she would often yell at one of our blokes when the ball was on the far wing:
"Tackle him, WHY doesn't he tackle him?" because to her it looked like the two players were close. Me, too
BUT
similar explanation. Error of parallax plus distorted (compressed) depth-of-field made the players look like they were within tackling distance but more likely 5-8 metres apart.

Advertisers use that compressed depth-of-field with their ads on the playing field; sidelines in soccer, too. From above, they look weirdly elongated. From the camera angle far away, they look just fine.

Still looks good even slowed down.
At normal speed it’s too hard to be 100% certain the ball is completely over the line, especially at that angle. Umps were in a better position.
Like I said to Slippery Pete , I was surprised it was allowed and there are several online articles about it:
"In or Out? Jack's stunning shot sparks debate" etc. They're a beat-up, of course.
Pies fans would be spewing; Saints fans deliriously happy. It was interesting, but no big deal.

I don't care if it was in/out and I doubt it affected the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has been so disappointing. So little emotion and reaction relative to what would have been seen in recent years

That’s the real killer of this elongated period of nothingness… disinterest

People are holding fire in case we win. Watch it tonight if we lose!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

TEX ON HIS COACHES​

Neil Craig (2004-2011)
“He taught the real professionalism of being an elite athlete, that’s what he taught me.”

Brenton Sanderson (2012-14)
“He taught the craft of the game. He came from Geelong and they had a few handy players back when they were flying, so he was massive on the craft of the game.’’

Phil Walsh (2015)
“He was probably the first coach who instilled belief in me. He gave me the opportunity to be captain and I am very grateful. I still remember going to Dean Bailey’s funeral and Walshy getting up and doing the eulogy. He spoke without any notes or prompts, and he didn’t fumble a word. I said to myself, ‘I need to meet this bloke’. Unbeknown to me, a couple of years later he was our senior coach. It was unbelievable how the stars aligned.’’

Don Pyke (2016-2019)
“He’s a beautiful man, Pykey. I loved Pykey. He’s an all-round coach. He was really good at teaching you the game but also really caring about you as a person. He would know my brother, my sister, my mum, my dad, all their names, my wife, my kids. This pre-season, when we played West Coast, he came up and said, ‘How is Hugo, Louey and Hattie.’’ An amazing man. I love him.’’

Matthew Nicks (2020-present)
“He’s been awesome as well. He gets the modern game, he’s a good teacher of the game. And he’s a very good listener, too. He’s open to ideas. And he’s amazing with family. He lets you go to weddings, or drop the kids off at school. If that means you’re late to a meeting that doesn’t bother him in the slightest. It’s pretty cool.’’

Geez we've been blessed, just unlucky I guess.

“He’s been awesome as well. He gets the modern game, he’s a good teacher of the game. And he’s a very good listener, too. He’s open to ideas. And he’s amazing with family. He lets you go to weddings, or drop the kids off at school. If that means you’re late to a meeting that doesn’t bother him in the slightest. It’s pretty cool.’’
I reckon enforcing no standards has paid off

TEX ON HIS COACHES​

Neil Craig (2004-2011)
“He taught the real professionalism of being an elite athlete, that’s what he taught me.”

Brenton Sanderson (2012-14)
“He taught the craft of the game. He came from Geelong and they had a few handy players back when they were flying, so he was massive on the craft of the game.’’

Phil Walsh (2015)
“He was probably the first coach who instilled belief in me. He gave me the opportunity to be captain and I am very grateful. I still remember going to Dean Bailey’s funeral and Walshy getting up and doing the eulogy. He spoke without any notes or prompts, and he didn’t fumble a word. I said to myself, ‘I need to meet this bloke’. Unbeknown to me, a couple of years later he was our senior coach. It was unbelievable how the stars aligned.’’

Don Pyke (2016-2019)
“He’s a beautiful man, Pykey. I loved Pykey. He’s an all-round coach. He was really good at teaching you the game but also really caring about you as a person. He would know my brother, my sister, my mum, my dad, all their names, my wife, my kids. This pre-season, when we played West Coast, he came up and said, ‘How is Hugo, Louey and Hattie.’’ An amazing man. I love him.’’

It shows

Back