AFL Autopsy RND 7: Draw Against The Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, was feeling positive until in the pre game remembered we were in a similar win/loss position last year.

Realistically only difference so far is elliot dropped the mark this year and we had much better percentage last year.

Hoping durham, McKay, duursma prevent it this year. 3 players who always give 100% effort.
So you feel negative now?

Was at the game.

What was really interesting was what I think was played out as a tactical battle between their front half / midfield turn over game and our half back turn over game.

Forward pressure wasn't there, at all. Gresham exposed badly, for absence of run and speed. Alwyn wasn't much help although he worked into the game a bit.

What was really noticeable was how much harder they ran in the transition between the arcs. They could slice through our forward and midfield zone but that didn't convert to any ongoing control of the game because we seemed to be able to absorb the pressure at half back. Just as it seemed that they were going to run all over us they were pegged back.

It's something to bear in mind because I doubt we have an overall profile that looks like any other team that is considered good. If that's what we're trying to do, and I'm pretty sure we are, and it works then credit where it's due.

I think the score board flattered Collingwood at quarter time. 3 of the scoring shots came from what was essentially 1 phase of play. That doesn't mean much given the belting in the clearances we gave them in the first half.

They controlled the second quarter. The second half was even. In the second half it never felt like the game was out of control like it was in the last quarter of ANZAC day last year.

Prettt good game against a great team which is probably only a good team at this point in time.

Last time I was at the G it was R1. I'd take today over the shit we dished up in R1 any time. There was heat out there and the team held up well.

Last edited:
Yep, was feeling positive until in the pre game remembered we were in a similar win/loss position last year.

Realistically only difference so far is elliot dropped the mark this year and we had much better percentage last year.

Hoping durham, McKay, duursma prevent it this year. 3 players who always give 100% effort.

Except the Pies, who we now know were Premiers, ran over us in the end by a run on goals to a comfortable lead in that last Anzac Day match (13 points). And the Elliot moment you're recalling was a different game, and in this game he didn't even mark it because of pressure (after Langers just missed a sealer).

Whereas this game was a genuine arm wrestle to the end.

I dunno. I feel more appreciative of our signs this year, even in one of our two losses to the Swans. Not all progress is linear in terms of the ladder though and our main focus should be to gel as a team with consistency regardless of results.

The front on free kick when Ben McKay didnt take his eyes off the ball has killed me

Only a matter of time before they remove the stupid draw and give us extra time.

We played well but the brain fades made us pay.
The media goons such as Eddie and the fat man will be calling for it by tomorrow morning. Plus a roof over the MCG, cheerleaders, wildcard rounds and best of 3 grand final series. Did I miss any?

More positives than negatives for sure. It's a game we could have won, but it is also a game we could have let slip away.

Durham was excellent as were Merrett and McGrath. Stringer had some huge moments. Can't argue with 4 goals but Langford seems to get in others way a bit.
Jones very good too which is great to see.
Parish seemed to work smarter off the contest than he had been and had a solid game.
Martin putting the ball into our attacking 50 is so important

Hobbs needs to learn 'first option'.
Davey isn't actually quick enough to get as little ball as he does
Cox's decision making is simply not up to AFL standard
Laverde doesn't have the speed or smarts for the role he's in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back