UFC 201 - LAWLER VS. WOODLEY

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this card fairly recently lost the flyweight title fight. Without it this card doesn't look very good at all for a PPV.

I don't really know what to think about Woodley getting the title shot. Thompson really should have jumped over him after he beat Hendricks. Woodley has done about the same as Maia to earn the shot, but then when you factor in that Maia's been active and Woodley hasn't you'd say Maia has done more. On the other hand, Lawler's been in tough fights lately and he's always putting on a great show. Him getting a fight that he should win is fine by me.

Woodley is a pretty boring fighter. Weird to say about someone who can and has knocked fighters out early. If he doesn't win early then the fight often becomes an uneventful slog. If he connects on Lawler he could put him in a lot of trouble, especially early. Most likely this is a fight that favours Lawler. He can defend the takedowns and outstrike Woodley. I'd expect him to put Woodley away at some stage.

Some of the other fights are pretty good, but there's not much that really stands out on a PPV main card.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lawler and Woodley both fought at 167, since then, here are the following stats.
Woodley has had 5 fights with a total fight time of 40mins. In that 40 mins, Woodley has absorbed 101 strikes.

In the same amount of time, Lawler has been in 7 fights for a total fight time of 2 hours and 29 mins. In those epic 2.5 hours of bloody, beautiful violence, Lawler has taken 679 significant strikes.

So since UFC 167, Lawler has absorbed 578 significant strikes and been in the octagon for 1 hour and 50 mins more than Woodley.

As much as people were worried about how much the Lawler vs McDonald fight would have aged Rory, Lawler seems to have avoided the same discussion.

Woodley seems like a slightly lesser version of pre USADA Hendricks. Hendricks gave Lawler some problems so I can see Woodley giving him a hard night of Woodley fights smart.

I will be cheering for Lawler but this is a dangerous fight.

Been a funny year for title defenses, win for Lawler would certainly add to his already outstanding career, other than DJ. DC and JJ, quite a few favorties have been beaten in convincing fashion, although I suppose DJ and Lawler have already held the belts for sometime already.

Intriguing match up Sunday, looking forward to it.

I will be cheering for Lawler but this is a dangerous fight.

A lot of people have overlooked Tyron completely and I don't get why. He's a very dangerous fighter when he's on. You need only look at the Condit fight... sure it ended when Condit tore his knee up, but prior to that Condit was taking a whooping like few others have been able to put on him.

I think the fight will end up like his fight with Marquardt with Lawler getting a late stoppage. I think Lawler is tough enough to see out the first couple of rounds when Woodley is fresh and take over down the stretch.

If Woodley lands early its over, dude has genuine KO power, alternately if he gets some takedowns (which will be tough against Lawler whos TDD is otherworldly of late) and can beat him up a bit the effect of those wars Lawler has been in will catch up to him. I think everyone is sleeping on Tyron cause McDonald manhandled him and he has a tendency to look pedestrian if hes not on his game but if hes primed for this its an incredibly dangerous fight. Worth noting Woodley has only ever lost to McDonald, Shields and Marquardt (when Nate was still pretty good, not quite great)

Huge..Massive..Ginormous amounts of respect for Lawler, Hendricks, Rory MacDonald and GSP!

So over the last few evenings I've watched replays on FightPass of these fights: GSP/Hendricks, Hendricks/Lawler, Lawler/Brown, Hendricks/Lawler (II) and Lawler/MacDonald.

The MacDonald fight ended in the 5th while all the other fights go the distance!! 25 minutes!

If you get the chance try check em out...wow!

Will watch Lawler/Condit tomoz.

I'd seen all the fights when they happened but to watch them all again is still pretty mind blowing. Just the most amazing fights.

The 3 Hedricks fights - wow!
MacDonald - wow!
Ruthless! - wow!
Condit - (wow! in advance).

Someone said Lawler's a slow starter. I don't think he is. The only fight recently that backs that up is his fight with Condit. He started really well in the 2nd Hendricks fight and his other recent fights (Condit excluded) had close first rounds, which is what most of his fights in total have been of late. I don't think he's a slow starter or a fast starter, it just depends on what his opponent does and on his mindset. He could come out like he did in the 2nd Hendricks fight to put Woodley on the back foot.

Someone else mentioned Woodley tagging Condit a lot. Condit is definitely a slow starter (yet he actually started well against Lawler) and he's far worse defensively than Lawler. Woodley could tag Lawler early, but I don't think he'll be able to have the sort of lengthy success against Lawler that he had against Condit. He could be the guy that finally puts Lawler away, but if he doesn't do it early I think Lawler will get used to Woodley's speed and be able to outstrike him pretty easily.

Woodley hasn't fought for a long time, so he could have changed things up and he could come out looking a lot different. Or he could be rusty and never get into the fight if Lawler gets on top early. It's something that nobody can know, but it'll play a big part in the outcome.

I really want Lawler to win and a while back I thought this was a fight he'd almost surely win. Now that it's getting close I'm a lot less certain. I think Lawler will win. It'll probably take a while and eventually he should KO Woodley. I'm really worried that Woodley will catch him with something and he won't be able to recover. Lawler's been in a lot of great fights lately and he's taken a heap of damage in those fights, so I hope he finishes Woodley in the 1st round.

Couple cool Lawler highlight videos:

I love how everyone's talking about Lawler taking souls all the time after this:

Someone said Lawler's a slow starter. I don't think he is.

That was me and i did say it was just a gut thing. The more ive thought about it the more i think its right though (or at least it seems that way in comparison to Woodley).

I think my point was more if Woodley is gonna win it (which ive tipped) i think it will happen in the first two rounds, after that its Lawlers fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back