Autopsy Pies' brilliant effort - so close! Down by a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank Christ the year is over.

Going forward if we can improve our kicking, handballing, decision making, shepherding, tactical play, recruiting we might have a chance in the upcoming years.
You forgot marking and bouncing the ball. lol

No one ever wants to lose but you can still learn from a loss
I feel sorry for you if you can't see the positives in today's game, especially after the very difficult season we had, one in which we've been cruelled by injuries and forced to play many inexperienced players.
Today gave us a glimpse of an exciting future
The thing is we don't learn. We haven't from season to season while Buckley has been coach for 5 seasons. How is 2017 going to be any different?

If anything about that last goal, sidey could have chased Fitzpatrick a little bit more and affected the kick. But let's be serious no one expected him to the kick for goal. Also Varcoe should have torped it down the middle after the point. Oh well, It was a tough game. Blame the umpires really.
We only needed to have some tacklers in there to hold the ball up and we didn't. How can a ruckman lope out of the centre to the 50m arc and kick a goal without a single midfielder not getting within 5 meters of him? That's poor coaching!

He says we should've had our better players in the center for the last few minutes and we couldn't get Pendles back on. Yet I just watched that goal on FB and Pendles was there.
Like it or not we couldn't get our captain back on the ground for nearly a whole minute at about the 6 minute mark because they couldn't get anybody to come off for him! Are we playing Oz kick?

Geez, Collingwood kicked 17 goals today.
Why didn't Clarkson have the right players in the right spots.

What a horrible coach he must be!
Horrible coach Clarkson? They've lost 5 games all year and head to head Buckley v Clarkson Buckley hasn't had one victory against him not one! How's that for horrible.

...but you didn't say that. You said not getting the ball was bad coaching.

Further he did put someone back who unfortunately positioned himself poorly. Have you got anything that actually relates to him coaching poorly or you just want to say he coached poorly regardless.
The positioning was fine. Rarely are Hawthorn getting a clean clearance from that position and when they do they are almost always going to hit up a lead. As the extra defender it's a better percentage play to stand in the hole to stop the leads. It was a combination of shoddy clearance work in not forcing the stoppage and bad luck that probably the least skilled player on the ground fluked a goal from outside 50.

1 minute to go put Travis Cloke and Jesse White back. Flood their backline. What's the point of leaving them in our forward half??
I thought even you might find something to be positive/proud about after yesterday's effort. Our young, injury ravaged side took it right up to the reigning champs, when they had perhaps everything on the line, while we realistically had nothing much to gain. I'm happy to take plenty out of the game, in particular the performance of our rapidly improving young brigade, it has helped keep me very confident about where we are heading.

Perhaps you made some positive posts about the game in another thread, and I just haven't read that one yet! Overall, I continue to struggle to understand just what it is you are here for, if you really claim to be a Collingwood supporter.

Horrible coach Clarkson? They've lost 5 games all year and head to head Buckley v Clarkson Buckley hasn't had one victory against him not one! How's that for horrible.
I've noticed you do seem to struggle a bit with sarcasm/humour, TG!!

I thought even you might find something to be positive/proud about after yesterday's effort. Our young, injury ravaged side took it right up to the reigning champs, when they had perhaps everything on the line, while we realistically had nothing much to gain. I'm happy to take plenty out of the game, in particular the performance of our rapidly improving young brigade, it has helped keep me very confident about where we are heading.

Perhaps you made some positive posts about the game in another thread, and I just haven't read that one yet! Overall, I continue to struggle to understand just what it is you are here for, if you really claim to be a Collingwood supporter.
If Hawthorn win the flag I might come back and say they are bench mark going in to 2017 and we aren't far away but I'd say many teams have gone past Hawthorn and I don't think they are the best team in the comp anymore. We will see how they go in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't get the bite you wanted the first time? Or is this a multi user account, I wonder.

Would explain the inconsistencies with your posts.

If Hawthorn win the flag I might come back and say they are bench mark going in to 2017 and we aren't far away but I'd say many teams have gone past Hawthorn and I don't think they are the best team in the comp anymore. We will see how they go in finals.
We will indeed (see how they go). Like pretty much everyone around here I hope their run is pretty much over. I don't like them but I really do admire the Hawks and what they've achieved. Yesterday saw a great opportunity for a rare win against a team we clearly have trouble beating, it would have put them in a precarious position if we'd pulled it off. It was really disappointing we couldn't quite get there, once again I just prefer to see the positives in what was a very fine performance. Compared to the end of season feeling the Demons and Tigers fans should now have, I'm happy with the way I feel.

This year obviously hasn't panned out the way we would have liked it to, one of not many positives for mine is that we've actually finished it full of running, as opposed to the previous couple of years where we've fallen away badly in the second half of the season. We've shown this year we can compete with/beat many of the best sides in the competition, we really cost ourselves by struggling against some ordinary teams who've finished close to us on the ladder.

Geez, Collingwood kicked 17 goals today.
Why didn't Clarkson have the right players in the right spots.

What a horrible coach he must be!

They know how to win close games. Once they had a 1 point lead we weren't winning the game. Simple.

One post, 2 quoted responses. This coupled with the inconsistencies others pulled you up on today have me convinced yours is multi user account.

Ealier you were saying we lost because Buckley put Howe behind the ball NOW you're saying we lost because he didn't put additional people behind the ball, and our 2 tall forwards at that? :drunk:

And you've somehow got the mods convinced you're not a troll account...

Just adding a bit here to my last post, hope that's okay! Hawthorn have most certainly had their struggles this year, we know the end of their marvellous reign is coming soon. Perhaps they might have one more big finals series in their ageing stars, it wouldn't be a huge surprise, but it's correct to say right now they haven't been the best side in 2016.

They still finished third at the end of the H&A series, we showed we could match them all the way yesterday. Geelong finished second, we beat them pretty comfortably in our one and only meeting. Though they fought back well, we led them 7.5 to 0.3 at 1/4 time. GWS are another top 4 side, they looked miles too good for us early on in our only meeting, yet (helped by a 9 goal 2nd qtr.) we beat them by 32 points in Sydney. West Coast were much too good for us in Perth, we won well enough in the return bout. In the first game against the Bulldogs we were looking good but injuries ultimately killed us, the second game could have gone either way. We played like sh** against Adelaide, North Melbourne and Sydney, and lost accordingly.

So our record against the top teams from this year is actually pretty impressive (especially for a team who finished 12th), even if Hawthorn aren't the benchmark anymore, we showed in 2016 that we could mix it with the best most of the time.

It was quite fitting we lose the final game of the year by a point, sort of sums up the year really. We have had not much luck this year and havent been able to close out games that have seen us in winning positions. So another learning curve or stepping stone for next year.
The win / lose didnt have much bearing on us, as long as we played our brand of footy and we did, and it showed it can match it with the best. Considering no Moore, Fasolo, Elliott, Ramsay, Scharenberg, Reid, Adams, Langdon and Aish only playing half a game, it was the most heartning performance of the year. Excited by Crocker and Phillips, look like both can be regulars next year, particulary Crocker.
I, for the first time in months can see some light at the end of a long dark tunnel, and that finals maybe within our grasp in 2017.
If we can get the above players on the ground come round 1 next year, and add a couple via trade and draft, then we maybe the most improved side in 2017.
l just may continue my membership for next year.
Go Pies!!

Buckley coaches poorly again. Once we had the lead we had to grab the ball hold on to it for 1 minute. We couldn't do it. Imagine if was a grand final. The coach would be slammed for it. We let a slow a bus mover take the ball out of the centre and run to 50 to kick a goal. Disgraceful coaching!
It was 25 minutes since Bucks spoke to the group.
Players should be accountable for the last couple of minutes and organising themselves.
After he did speak to them they came out and have it their all.

It always pot shots from you mate.
The end of the season couldn't come quick enough for you I bet,
Then again what are you going to whinge about for the next 6 months...

Our midfield needs to harden up. You can't just allow their hack ruckman to take the ball and waltz away. This is why Pendles is no longer in the top players anymore. His decision making and leadership has disappeared.

Just adding a bit here to my last post, hope that's okay! Hawthorn have most certainly had their struggles this year, we know the end of their marvellous reign is coming soon. Perhaps they might have one more big finals series in their ageing stars, it wouldn't be a huge surprise, but it's correct to say right now they haven't been the best side in 2016.

They still finished third at the end of the H&A series, we showed we could match them all the way yesterday. Geelong finished second, we beat them pretty comfortably in our one and only meeting. Though they fought back well, we led them 7.5 to 0.3 at 1/4 time. GWS are another top 4 side, they looked miles too good for us early on in our only meeting, yet (helped by a 9 goal 2nd qtr.) we beat them by 32 points in Sydney. West Coast were much too good for us in Perth, we won well enough in the return bout. In the first game against the Bulldogs we were looking good but injuries ultimately killed us, the second game could have gone either way. We played like sh** against Adelaide, North Melbourne and Sydney, and lost accordingly.

So our record against the top teams from this year is actually pretty impressive (especially for a team who finished 12th), even if Hawthorn aren't the benchmark anymore, we showed in 2016 that we could mix it with the best most of the time.

We said the exact same thing at the conclusion of 2015. Yesterday was a disaster. Would rather have lost by 100.

Our midfield needs to harden up. You can't just allow their hack ruckman to take the ball and waltz away. This is why Pendles is no longer in the top players anymore. His decision making and leadership has disappeared.
We said the exact same thing at the conclusion of 2015. Yesterday was a disaster. Would rather have lost by 100.

Just No

was gutted by yesterday's result especially given we could have killed off Hawthorn's flag chances with a win.

On reflection though, it was a great effort considering the players who were unavailable - I'm certain we will go past Hawthorn next year.

An effort to be proud of for sure. We had nothing to play for and the Hawks had a top 4 spot on the line and we never dropped our heads and should have won if not for some dodgy umpiring and our own turnover blunders in defence. I think it shows good intrinsic motivation and a will to win that can't be taught (just look at the blues, dees and tigers efforts this weekend). I bet after that effort a lot of players would be looking forward to getting back together and starting the pre-season, and that's invaluable.

That's also two years in a row we outplayed the Hawks and despite losing both games it's a vast improvement on the years prior where we just couldn't get near the benchmark of the competition.

Not going to go over the umpiring again as enough has been said about it, but we also lost the game because we are our own worst enemy (and not just in this game). We basically gifted the Hawks free easy goals because of our own shortcomings in reading the play. Three goals in particular come to mind: one was Smith playing on after a free kick in defence and turning it over because there was no one to pass it to, goal Hawthorn. Two was Marley Williams going a short option in a very congested defensive 50, turnover, goal. Three is Nathan Brown suddenly deciding he's a playmaker and switching the play to Sidebottom who was on a 1vs2, turnover, goal.

There were actually a few other goals coming from turnovers (one from Varcoe and that tap from Brown to Lewis) but what the three above have in common is an inability to know when to pause the momentum of the play. All three players shouldn't have tried to play on and create space at all costs but instead take time back and kick it long to a contest. It's a fine line as we want to switch the play quickly but there's a time and place for a long percentage kick. There's no shame in doing that, all teams including good fast kicking teams like the Hawks do it at times, it's just about understanding the flow of the game and decision making. Hopefully that sort of stuff comes with a bit more maturity in the group.

Even personnel wise if you imagine Ramsay instead of Williams and Keeffe/Reid in place of Brown we look like we have extremely strong rebounding ability as a defensive group and these costly turnovers should become the exception rather than the norm. Looking forward to that next year.

Last edited:
You would rather have lost by 100 than being competitive? So much so we lost in a heart breaker.
Wow, that's some interesting way to follow sport.
But each to their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back