Injury Geoff Walsh's injury update, now brought to you by Blackmores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'm not sure what you've heard Scodog10 however, I have heard Mr Marasco is potentially/allegedly under qualified for his role.
Furthermore, his alleged lack of expertise, may have impacted on the rehabilitation of a certain player(s) last year and by the looks of it this year too.
If that is the case, it's deplorable.

Its not good enough, but that's the way the clubs going. As much as you try to help people understand that there's a reason behind everything that happens at the club, both good and bad, some just refuse to take it on board (as is their right).

Well I'm not sure what you've heard Scodog10 however, I have heard Mr Marasco is potentially/allegedly under qualified for his role.
Furthermore, his alleged lack of expertise, may have impacted on the rehabilitation of a certain player(s) last year and by the looks of it this year too.
If that is the case, it's deplorable.

Crazy if true.

Our injury situation over the last five years has been deplorable.

Injury prevention and management is a KPI that the club has put a bunch of resources into (going by presentations at the member's forums). It would beggar belief if we've hired an underqualified weights coach.

Last edited:
It must be tough getting the qualifications to be a weights coach. That must take years and years of study!!! :p;)

To be fair, a decent one who doesn't injure people would need to know a bit about physics and biology. They'd need understand all the muscle groups and complementary pairings in the human body, what load the various parts of the body can withstand (muscles, skeletal system, etc), and how to measure what individual people can safely withstand. There'd probably be a bit of nutrition and psychology in there as well.

I imagine it'd be one of those disciplines that looks easy but there'd be huge scope to do it well.

Last edited:
I call bull dust.
On what exactly? The club has been pretty forthright in saying that both Sier and Langdon hurt their backs in the weights room.

On what exactly? The club has been pretty forthright in saying that both Sier and Langdon hurt their backs in the weights room.

There does seem to be a growing assumption that all injuries are the result of negligence where we look to blame some off-field guy. The reality is that the human body isn't a simple machine where the parts can be easily checked and monitored. The reality is that in order to prepare for and play AFL footy the body has to be placed under physical stress. Even with the incredible advancement of medical science, the causes of an enormous amount of pain and inflammation can't be easily identified with an X-ray, MRI, etc. Fitness and medical guys have to rely on players accurately identifying and describing pain in an environment where the ability to overcome and ignore pain is highly respected. Even then, they can often only really test the problem area by placing it under some sort of stress.

That's not to say that our fitness guys are good at their job, but the growing desire to attribute blame is becoming ridiculous.

There does seem to be a growing assumption that all injuries are the result of negligence where we look to blame some off-field guy. The reality is that the human body isn't a simple machine where the parts can be easily checked and monitored. The reality is that in order to prepare for and play AFL footy the body has to be placed under physical stress. Even with the incredible advancement of medical science, the causes of an enormous amount of pain and inflammation can't be easily identified with an X-ray, MRI, etc. Fitness and medical guys have to rely on players accurately identifying and describing pain in an environment where the ability to overcome and ignore pain is highly respected. Even then, they can often only really test the problem area by placing it under some sort of stress.

That's not to say that our fitness guys are good at their job, but the growing desire to attribute blame is becoming ridiculous.
Not sure how much weights you've done, but if you're doing it with the correct form and not overloading then injury is close to impossible. Yet we have two players getting an injury to the same area of their body in the weights room within a short amount of time. Sorry, I'm not generally one to play the blame game (constantly pulling TD up on his Davoren hate for impact injuries etc) but something's not right there.

Not sure how much weights you've done, but if you're doing it with the correct form and not overloading then injury is close to impossible. Yet we have two players getting an injury to the same area of their body in the weights room within a short amount of time. Sorry, I'm not generally one to play the blame game (constantly pulling TD up on his Davoren hate for impact injuries etc) but something's not right there.

There's a large number of standard weight training exercises that are done at all clubs that shouldn't be done if you have a dodgy back. Unfortunately dodgy backs are incredibly difficult to diagnose. For me, 2 is not a large enough number to assume fault lays with the guys running drills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a large number of standard weight training exercises that are done at all clubs that shouldn't be done if you have a dodgy back. Unfortunately dodgy backs are incredibly difficult to diagnose. For me, 2 is not a large enough number to assume fault lays with the guys running drills.
So we're going with Sier and Langdon have dodgy backs now? Hmmmm.

So we're going with Sier and Langdon have dodgy backs now? Hmmmm.

At the moment they clearly do. Isn't that why they're not in full training?

My point is simply that many standard weight exercises do put strain on the back, even if done with correct form, which is why they shouldn't be done by people with dodgy backs. The strain on the back also means that there is an inherent risk for those with healthy backs - the risk is obviously increased for those with any slight lumbar or posture issues. Risk is only substantially reduced if players are extremely good at identifying and very open about stiffness and soreness so that programs can be tailored. This isn't always the case due to the necessary culture of players being expected to play through pain. Particularly with young players who are still trying to prove themselves and are thus less likely to be open about their frailties, more inclined to over exert and are less aware of the signals that they receive from their bodies.

If they have they are doing something so stupid to hurt their backs in weights room, either they should sack themselves for stupidity or the person that's showing them. I still call bull dust. Espeically two of them.

If they have they are doing something so stupid to hurt their back in weights either they should sack themselves for stupidity or the person that's showing them. I still call bull dust. Espeically two of them.
I'll ask again, what exactly are you calling bulldust on? Stop rambling and give a straight answer.

I want to live in the world others seem to where nothing goes wrong.

Unfortunately I live in the world were s**t happens from time to time

Injuries happen. You can't automatically blame the fitness staff. Yes they may be to blame but the automatic assumption it is thier fault is moronic. Could just as likely the players fault for not following instructions properly.

Everytime we hear about a player putting in the extra yards away from the club and hitting the weights room early, we all applaud them. Are we all just assuming that fitness staff are available to the players 24/7? During a weights session are there 40 odd trainers watching each player's form at all times? Or is there a fitness plan put in place for the player and an assumption that they adhere to it?

Highlighted the salient point in your post. Seems to be a propensity by some to assume both these players were doing the correct thing and lay blame elsewhere. I don't know anything about these staff and I wasn't in attendance when these injuries occurred so I'm loath to jump to conclusions or assumptions. Others may be privy to more information and structure their comments accordingly. I'm happy sitting on the fence. Sometimes s**t just happens.

[QUOTE="jackcass, post: 48499337, member:
In the lead up to the last Olympics, I heard of quite a few of the lifters in contention for medals in their division, had to with draw due to injuries. Gee you would think that people at that level would know better wouldn't you?
(Sorry don't know how to (emogis?))

In the lead up to the last Olympics, I heard of quite a few of the lifters in contention for medals in their division, had to with draw due to injuries. Gee you would think that people at that level would know better wouldn't you?
(Sorry don't know how to (emogis?))
You're really comparing standard weight training to competitive lifters? Come on mate, those are guys who are lifting far more than any normal person would ever attempt to do, pushing themselves to and beyond their limits. Of course injuries are going to happen, especially during competitions where PB's are basically a requirement to be competitive. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

I want to live in the world others seem to where nothing goes wrong.

Unfortunately I live in the world were s**t happens from time to time

Injuries happen. You can't automatically blame the fitness staff. Yes they may be to blame but the automatic assumption it is thier fault is moronic. Could just as likely the players fault for not following instructions properly.
Or even, the body is not perfect.
Your point is well made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back