Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha, Freo have had some great success with our SA picks, Pav, Neale, Clive Waterhouse :)

I think Krueger looks like more of a natural footballer, Amartey seems like another basketball player trying to switch codes (another Zac Clarke). Looks really uncomfortable in the forwardline
What wrong with Pre Music Festival Zac Clarke I though he is pretty good TBH.

We are talking about late picks. So if we found someone like Zac Clarke and got 100 games out of them, then that's a big win.
Fair enough, if he's still there late I wouldn't be opposed. I guess it's quality of games rather than quantity imo. I reckon 70 of Clarke's 100 games were 'puting time/games into him' and hoping he'd develop into something more. He only played a season and a half of good games, obviously injury played a big part...

What wrong with Pre Music Festival Zac Clarke I though he is pretty good TBH.
Yeah he had a solid run of form. I think like many rucks/talls with a basketball background he often seemed to have the athleticism to compete at AFL level, but didn't have the AFL brain to excel.

So does anyone think there is at all a chance we pick up Liam Ryan ? Does he go before one of our last picks in the draft or do we wait until rookie draft? It’s likely a huge risk but high reward if we can get him right on and off the field. Personally I say we should pick him in the national draft and not rookie with one of our last picks if he is still available

I can’t see Liam Ryan going top 30 tbh. I think it’s just talk. I seem to remember mature aged draftees getting talked up every year. Occasionally the media is right with guys like Ballantyne and Isaac Smith going quite early but last year we saw Luke Ryan slide for reasons still reasonably unknown (few rumours - no concrete answers). Mitch Brown was the same the year before.

The talk could have been generated by clubs in the 20-30 area to try and scare West Coast into blowing 21 or 26 on him when in reality they could get him at 37. Probably won’t hurt West Coast much if they snap him up early but it’d just leave another highly rated kid (relative to that section of the draft) on board. Tim Kelly could be a similar situation - West Coast may see him as a player that can paper over the cracks in their crap midfield next year and they’ll be desperate to get him. Clubs may think they can get them to crack earlier than they should. Can’t see Kelly going top 30 either. Can’t remember a 23 year old ever going that high ever - doesn’t mean it’s impossible though.

There are a few people saying Liam Ryan will go top 30.
It’s a interesting one isn’t it. He has supreme talent and believes he is getting better off the field according to his media statements he has made recently. I hope he gets picked up and shows what he can do in the afl. Will be happy to hear his name called even if it’s not by Freo.

There seems to be a real evenness in the draft, with it more being about segments. each of which lacks some defining quality.
Picks 1-7 Good A grade prospects but feels devoid of superstars, and all with a question mark. The general consensus is that 4 of them are genuinely considered #1, and that if you shuffled the lot of them and simply dealt them out most people would be happy. (I'm hoping LDU and Stephenson/Fogarty)

Picks 8-18 A bunch of 150 gamers who will be decent, some with potential A grade. Picking for needs will be a good strategy here because the guy taken at 8 is as much chance as the one at 18. And unlike the top 7, there is diversity with some KPPs becoming value, ruckmen even, and still some classing mids.

18-40 Very decent best 22 players. The WC gamble, which I think will pay off for them. Good value, but generally going to be solid citizens rather than guys you build your team around. But I wouldn't be unhappy to be adding players like Kelly or Starcevich to the list, and there will be someone who slides. (I'm hoping someone like Kruger, Miller, Taylor get through to this pick)

The rest, half a dozen of which we will pit hopes and dreams on, and most of which we will turn against and criticise. As someone said, our new batch of Subans. But if we can source a small forward and a pretty mature ruck, and the ubiquitous skinny project player then that'll do. (Sombono, Meek and Ross fit the description)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see Liam Ryan going top 30 tbh. I think it’s just talk. I seem to remember mature aged draftees getting talked up every year. Occasionally the media is right with guys like Ballantyne and Isaac Smith going quite early but last year we saw Luke Ryan slide for reasons still reasonably unknown (few rumours - no concrete answers). Mitch Brown was the same the year before.

The talk could have been generated by clubs in the 20-30 area to try and scare West Coast into blowing 21 or 26 on him when in reality they could get him at 37. Probably won’t hurt West Coast much if they snap him up early but it’d just leave another highly rated kid (relative to that section of the draft) on board. Tim Kelly could be a similar situation - West Coast may see him as a player that can paper over the cracks in their crap midfield next year and they’ll be desperate to get him. Clubs may think they can get them to crack earlier than they should. Can’t see Kelly going top 30 either. Can’t remember a 23 year old ever going that high ever - doesn’t mean it’s impossible though.

I'm tipping both to be gone before our 3rd selection, with Ryan in the top 30.

The rest, half a dozen of which we will pit hopes and dreams on, and most of which we will turn against and criticise. As someone said, our new batch of Subans. But if we can source a small forward and a pretty mature ruck, and the ubiquitous skinny project player then that'll do. (Sombono, Meek and Ross fit the description)
Or Walters,Neale, Dan swan , Luke Ryan, Ben Brown ,Jaiyden Hunt . Suban and sheriden is more of a end of second Rd pick .

There is always some good talent from previous two years who miss out due to injuries, attitude, maturity or list spots who put their name in for this year draft .

Last edited:
Tim Kelly could be a similar situation - West Coast may see him as a player that can paper over the cracks in their crap midfield next year and they’ll be desperate to get him. Clubs may think they can get them to crack earlier than they should. Can’t see Kelly going top 30 either. Can’t remember a 23 year old ever going that high ever - doesn’t mean it’s impossible though.

Never know with mature aged players, but there's talk of North Melbourne (#23) and Geelong (#22 and #24) being keen on Tim Kelly. So West Coast may be forced to use #21 if they really want him, alternatively one of those Victorian clubs could go early to beat out the Eagles. The interest might be later on, and people are joining dots that aren't there. But he's the one I could see going earlier than expected.

Someone posted a rumour Amartey might go 2nd round. GWS interested I think. Seems crazy to me. Liam Ryan with pick under 30 seems strange too.

Also I've watched Patmore quite a few times and just dont get why he is rated so highly. Got smashed by a midfield full of u17s. Good ball winner but just not damaging enough imo. Not even close to Weller quality.

Hey Chris25 , love the work you do around this time.
I'm not very well informed this year, is Patrick Farrant likely to be drafted? He looks a real prospect from his WAFL highlights but doesn't seem to be in any draft conversations. Looks a perfect late pick or rookie type to me.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/c...rick-farrant-be-was-draft-smoky-ng-b88572583z
Rookie list you'd think based on limited body of work. Hope it's us. His younger brother is even better apparently.

can you explain why? (if you have time)
looks to have some real talent, what would be the knock on taking him?

Just 5 WAFL Colts games, averages less than 10 touches a game. Slow for a small forward. Skinny. Will need a good few years in the gym. Not really the player type that teams want to have on their senior list. Every chance he goes undrafted, plays as a 19 year old next year and benefits from the extra year of development.

I watched a few of the Swans clips involving Farrant and he is very raw. Some exciting goals but the kicking was hit and miss.

He looks like a talent and Chris you’re right that he would benefit from a WAFL preseason and more involvement/ development in the WAFL.

Someone may pull the trigger in the Rookie Draft noting that he has a lot of upside to work with but there is a long way to go with him right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back