Moved Thread Telstra is killing TBox - no more AFL streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
As someone living in rural NSW where footy coverage is abysmal unless youre on cable (which I'm not and don't intend to) Telstras TBox was a life saver. Every game of the week was there to watch, on demand. Its been great. And now theyre cancelling support and pulling those services. Bastards! Looks like its designed to force me and my kind onto Foxtel, which aint happening here (too many subscription services already)

Anybody got any suggestions? AFL Live was crap a couple years ago when I last tried it, anyone had any joy with it?

As someone living in rural NSW where footy coverage is abysmal unless youre on cable (which I'm not and don't intend to) Telstras TBox was a life saver. Every game of the week was there to watch, on demand. Its been great. And now theyre cancelling support and pulling those services. Bastards! Looks like its designed to force me and my kind onto Foxtel, which aint happening here (too many subscription services already)

Anybody got any suggestions? AFL Live was crap a couple years ago when I last tried it, anyone had any joy with it?
I used the afl app through Apple TV for the past couple of years to watch every game available without a problem until the app was updated in early Sept 17. You had to use a certain sequence to make it work but it worked. After that I could only get video and audio mid way through the 3rd quarter. Will be interesting to see if the same happens this year.

I was at my cousins place the other day surfing the Telstra box and had a lovely sesh watching some 2013-2015 game highlights.

Thank **** I read this if it's true, I would have bought a box for myself by tonight
You can watch any recorded game going back years on the afl app through Apple TV using your iPhone or iPad.

I was at my cousins place the other day surfing the Telstra box and had a lovely sesh watching some 2013-2015 game highlights.

Thank **** I read this if it's true, I would have bought a box for myself by tonight

Same

I was planning to get a tbox when I switched back to Telstra when I finally can get the nbn

So is it possible for me to pay to watch all afl games on my tv that doesn’t include a whole bullshit Foxtel subscription?

Not legally.

Edit: well, technically a VPN isn't illegal. You can use a VPN to change your Internet connections location and sign up to afl live as an international viewer, which is cheaper (free? ) and you can stream at full scale instead of phone screen sized footage

So is it possible for me to pay to watch all afl games on my tv that doesn’t include a whole bullshit Foxtel subscription?
I'm going to try the app live again this year before looking at other options. As I said earlier never had a problem till sept 17, watched any game I wanted to.

Yes. I use Watch AFL and a VPN. Essentially means I'm only paying to watch Fox Footy. A lot cheaper. It has all matches on demand, including all the shows on demand, and you have the Fox Footy live option too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does one stream that to a tv ? if its on an iphone or macbook ? Can it be done without an apple tv or do you need one of those ? also whats the quality like when streaming to a tv? Its 1080p right ?

i use chromecast, about $40 from JB.

Full 1080 HD on all games

People suggesting VPNs and illegal services when there is a legitimate, cheaper app.

Or free by making a new email address and using a burner credit card every 2 weeks for the season.

Or just use the Crownbet app

Can you use chromecast with Apple though ? How the hell would you chromecast watchafl off an apple iphone onto a samsung tv ? I was under the impression that you need that stupid apple tv thing

Yeah maybe you can't with Apple i'm not sure; I don't own any apple products sorry man.

Crownbet app no longer supports Chromecast.

Nothing, certainly not Crownbet, is stopping anyone from casting their entire phone screen and whatever is on it to anything at any time.
Start casting and press the fullscreen button. No borders or parts cut off or anything.
Although since by this point you are streaming the same video 3 times at once the quality can go to s**t if your network sucks.

Can you use chromecast with Apple though ? How the hell would you chromecast watchafl off an apple iphone onto a samsung tv ? I was under the impression that you need that stupid apple tv thing
With the Google Home app. A google search shows its on the app store. But I won't buy anything made by Apple so I don't know, maybe it dosen't have that feature.

Every post in here just shows how completely ****ed the monopoly that foxtel has on the afl, it shouldn't be like this and you shouldn't have to pay 60+ bucks a month just so you can watch afl on a normal sized TV.

Hopefully the afl fix it but I doubt it.

With the Google Home app. A google search shows its on the app store. But I won't buy anything made by Apple so I don't know, maybe it dosen't have that feature.
Just been on watchafl’s website faqs and it says you need to have an apple tv to use the ios version of the watchafl app (with airplay)

Looks like there is no way to use chromecast and an apple device (for watchafl)

watch Afl lets you watch on your computer via a web browser, you can cast that to a TV or just plug the computer into the TV via HDMI

also if you get a club International Membership they usually (check with the club) come with a watch AFL subscription and can be cheaper that purchasing WatchAFL direct while also supporting your club of choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back