2018 JLT series vs Brisbane (Moreton Bay) and GWS (Blacktown)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t do much in the ruck, but they didn’t seem to play him there much. He took some bloody nice marks though I thought? Contested as well...
Just seemed to get pushed out of the contest too easily and looks to lack physicality..i may be being a bit harsh but they are things that will keep him out of the seniors right now at least

He’ll play forward. But pretty much all small and mid-sized forwards need to be able to run through the middle these days.
He was the direct cause of a brisbane influential clearance..ball got tapped straight to him and he didnt know what to do and they run it out.

Kennedy, heeney, hanners, parker, hewett, jones,paps are all capable in there..no need for hayward

Just seemed to get pushed out of the contest too easily and looks to lack physicality..i may be being a bit harsh but they are things that will keep him out of the seniors right now at least
Yeah well Sammy will come back so he’s going to spend more time in the neafl...unless fumbles has really hurt his ankle?

Any word on Aliir’s ankle??

I like Aliir but he doesn't need to get over zealous with the whole playing on thing going on, just be natural, looks like he's trying to force it because he's earned that reputation over a very small amount of time. He still needs to be disciplined.

The biggest negative for me was horses decision to play hayward in the midfield...he is a natural forward and was very damaging last year as an 18 yr old skinny kid...he is a genuine target upforward and when your a team that can be too predictable by kicking to buddy at every opportunity....why the F@$@ would you take away a guy who is capable of hurting the opposition up there...its bad enough he does it to papley (who does actually perform well). Let hayward hone is craft and build some chemistry with buddy up forward

Like we don't already rotate enough guys through the middle he needs to take a second year fwd playing his first game of the year and waste his development time...:mad:

I like Aliir but he doesn't need to get over zealous with the whole playing on thing going on, just be natural, looks like he's trying to force it because he's earned that reputation over a very small amount of time. He still needs to be disciplined.

He did it once and Buddy and Sir Dane are also repeat offenders when it comes to this. Why is everyone up in arms about it when a bloke whose played less than 20 games does it. Let's hope he controls it over time with experience but if he doesnt I'll still take it as a flaw in his game because his dash and skill out of the back line more than makes up for it IMO

Like we don't already rotate enough guys through the middle he needs to take a second year fwd playing his first game of the year and waste his development time...:mad:
These are the games where we can get some practice in and hayward is out there getting torched in the middle....he is a natural born killer up forward...let him play his natural game

He did it once and Buddy and Sir Dane are also repeat offenders when it comes to this. Why is everyone up in arms about it when a bloke whose played less than 20 games does it. Let's hope he controls it over time with experience but if he doesnt I'll still take it as a flaw in his game because his dash and skill out of the back line more than makes up for it IMO
Agree...part of playing more games is experience for some experience means learning to use ball better or winning more ball..for aliir its learning when he can and cannot attack

Buddy only does it when he's having a shot at goal. Sir Dane doesn't do it recklessly or certainly that's not how I've seen him play. And I am not saying he should stop his flair - but rather stop forcing it unto himself. His instincts will take care of it. Just hope he learns quickly because mistakes in defence are killers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy only does it when he's having a shot at goal. Sir Dane doesn't do it recklessly or certainly that's not how I've seen him play. And I am not saying he should stop his flair - but rather stop forcing it unto himself. His instincts will take care of it. Just hope he learns quickly because mistakes in defence are killers.

I don't think he's forcing anything though I think it's purely instinctual. He's a confident athletic type of player just like Buddy and Sir Dane who both have a bit of ego and arrogance about them when they play, and like them, I think Aliir gets the ball and just wants to make something happen. He's just not experienced enough yet to have the high success rate that they do when taking those chances but I think it's dumber when a player with 100+ games experience does it than someone whose never even played a full season. That was my only point

I don't think he's forcing anything though I think it's purely instinctual. He's a confident athletic type of player just like Buddy and Sir Dane who both have a bit of ego and arrogance about them when they play, and like them, I think Aliir gets the ball and just wants to make something happen. He's just not experienced enough yet to have the high success rate that they do when taking those chances but I think it's dumber when a player with 100+ games experience does it than someone whose never even played a full season. That was my only point
But you're not making sense here. When Rampe and Buddy do play on it makes sense considering their situation (most of the time). When Aliir does it that's not usually the case. He'll have to learn quickly or he'll be out of the side again. It is fair criticism.

anyone who thinks Rose played a good game because he kicked 3 cheap goals is delusional. His set shot is good, yes. The rest of his game is sh!te

But you're not making sense here. When Rampe and Buddy do play on it makes sense considering their situation (most of the time). When Aliir does it that's not usually the case. He'll have to learn quickly or he'll be out of the side again. It is fair criticism.

But see I don't think Buddy and Sir Dane do it sensibly a lot of the time. I think they can both get carried away with their limitations. It's just no one really cares if they make a blue because they're club favourites and superstars. A 16-gamer does it and they better learn quick or their gone?

It's a trial game guys, the coaches "trial" guys in different roles to not only see what they're made of but also to learn. It was stupid hot and humid at the ground, not surprised we didn't go gang busters in the last. Florent got better big time in the middle .

Last edited:
But see I don't think Buddy and Sir Dane do it sensibly a lot of the time. I think they can both get carried away with their limitations. It's just no one really cares if they make a blue because they're club favourites and superstars. A 16-gamer does it and they better learn quick or their gone?
Your first two lines are not true at all. When buddy and/or Rampe run straight into a pack of opposition players by playing on after a mark then get back to me if I haven't criticised them. I think you're letting your obsession with Aliir get the better of your judgement. I'd like to make a comparison with Melican here who is new but also very disciplined. Yes he doesn't play an attacking brand of defence like Aliir does but he still does his job as per the description first and foremost. That's what Aliir needs to do and I am sure he will.

Can't read too much out of the JTL we looked s**t in 2016 and started the regular season nicely, looked ok last year and started the year like a piece of s**t...but based purely on the game itself.

- Franklin looked a class above. Reid and Papley looked good also. (positive and negative, they were our best 3 forwards last year, good to see them up and going but need another one or two to step up and provide some more variety).
- Fox looked decent at HB. If he can keep this up might be able to push for best 22 and allow Mills more midfield time which will help him imo, whilst at the same time giving us some much needed run.
- Jack looked to be moving better than he has in quite some time.
-Disappointing for Allir and Sinclair with their ankles, but looked ordinary before their injuries anyhow.
-Sinclair's ruckwork was awful and while Cameron's wasn't much better it was a slight step up, hopefully he plays next week and can build on that. Our ruck division is a real worry going into the real season, Towers is almost our best ruck option which is crazy..
-Game was over-umpired and some extremely poor decisions were made....so basically, more of the same from the umpire department (also why are our games often so poorly officiated?).
-Melican was quite good and looks to be coming on nicely as the 2nd tall we need, why Allir gets hyped up so much more than this bloke I'm yet to understand.

Your first two lines are not true at all. When buddy and/or Rampe run straight into a pack of opposition players by playing on after a mark then get back to me if I haven't criticised them. I think you're letting your obsession with Aliir get the better of your judgement. I'd like to make a comparison with Melican here who is new but also very disciplined. Yes he doesn't play an attacking brand of defence like Aliir does but he still does his job as per the description first and foremost. That's what Aliir needs to do and I am sure he will.

Not an obsession at all I just think he's the most highly-scrutinised 16-gamer I can recall and I know it's because we all know he's going to be a star and we all want him to be a star but in our collective rush to get him there we are totally nit-picking every thing he does.

Not an obsession at all I just think he's the most highly-scrutinised 16-gamer I can recall and I know it's because we all know he's going to be a star and we all want him to be a star but in our collective rush to get him there we are totally nit-picking every thing he does.
Well if he's going to be a star he better get used to being nit picked although this is certainly not the case here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back