Rance "players who use their strength in marking contests are being penalised too harshly."

Remove this Banner Ad

So a defender will "do anything" to stop the mark being taken but a forward won't "do anything" to take the mark? Nah. Also, the man is allowed to be the focus, afterall footballers shepherd, bump, hold, etc. I'm not saying Rance doesn't get away with a lot of scragging, which isn't entirely against the rules, but forwards aren't all non-contact types either.
Sure, forwards will also be sneaky to take the mark, but generally their aim is to mark the ball, the defender can spoil the ball and 'win' the contest. Shepherding, bumping etc. aren't usually allowed in marking contests (bumping to some extent), and if you aren't focussed on the ball the umpire will penalise you.
Forwards perhaps get the benefit of the doubt and if they appear to be getting prevented from contesting the ball get the free. Not sure about Rance in particular, just speaking generally.

Exception to this rule is Tom Hawkins, never gets free kicks that every other forward in the comp gets regularly

He also rarely gets pinged for grabbing defenders and shoving them out of the way, or for jumping early in a marking contest and taking out his opponent.

A number of times Ive seen him jump so early he has landed before taking the mark, yet doesnt get pinged for taking out his opponent.

BTW: he is equal frees for and against.

Buddy is -165 for his 9 years at Hawthorn. -24 for his 4 and a bit years at Sydney.

Look it is natural to not like players from other teams especially when they are very good but if you forget who said this and focus on what is said you realize what he is saying is true. I have always felt forwards have a lot more advantage before Rance even made these comments, especially when AFL want more scoring for better engagement so they pay softer frees. For example, if both players are holding each other it is the forward who gets the free majority of the time, it's even worse because a lot of the time it's the forward who has initiated the holding.

As an example, take a look at Tex Walker's first set shot on goal that hit the post tonight, from a free kick. As BT said, Tex initiated contact by 'blocking' Grundy's run at the ball, which should have been a free to Grundy. The ball wasn't within 5 metres yet. Grundy then momentarily grabbed Tex's arm, although the free wasn't paid for that, it was paid because the umpire signaled that he dragged Walker down or chopped his arm, which didn't happen. The free should have been Grundy's.

As an example, take a look at Tex Walker's first set shot on goal that hit the post tonight, from a free kick. As BT said, Tex initiated contact by 'blocking' Grundy's run at the ball, which should have been a free to Grundy. The ball wasn't within 5 metres yet. Grundy then momentarily grabbed Tex's arm, although the free wasn't paid for that, it was paid because the umpire signaled that he dragged Walker down or chopped his arm, which didn't happen. The free should have been Grundy's.
When BB retires I will agree with you, until then defenders can GAGF.

Look it is natural to not like players from other teams especially when they are very good but if you forget who said this and focus on what is said you realize what he is saying is true. I have always felt forwards have a lot more advantage before Rance even made these comments, especially when AFL want more scoring for better engagement so they pay softer frees. For example, if both players are holding each other it is the forward who gets the free majority of the time, it's even worse because a lot of the time it's the forward who has initiated the holding.

I’ve always believed it’s the exact opposite. Defenders get away with way too much and I say this as someone who played key defense in my playing days. Forwards don’t get paid enough frees in my opinion and defenders are paid (at least at AFL level) too high a proportion of free kicks in relation to actual infringements. The greatest example is blocking in contests. Forwards are blocked by a second defender an incredible percentage of time and I’d hazard a guess that only 10% of these are paid.

I dunno, it's good to see the forwards getting a bit of love for a change. As this thread exemplifies, most good key forwards have been getting absolutely mugged by defenders for a while now for no reward from umpires. Most clubs will have their own example (Cloke 'strength' free kicks, see North fans above talking about Brown, etc.). From my club, Jack Riewoldt was no different after his breakout year - clubs quickly realized he couldn't be stopped if allowed to jump at the ball so they would just block him from the contest consistently.

Have their been some incorrect decisions this year going the forwards way? Yes, but in general, I believe the forwards get a bad run and it can only be good for the spectacle of the game if key forwards are given a bit more protection to take the big marks and kick the big goals.

The written rule is completely ignored. You can't wrestle a player away from a marking contest. The only contact permitted in a marking contest is INCIDENTAL contact and only if it is made in and effort to legitimately attempt to mark the ball.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a Player may make contact with another Player:

...........zzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

or (e) if such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

Even if you were going to let them go on this, the ball is almost always more than 5m away, making the contact illegal anyway.

But the 5m rule is routinely ignored anyway

Last edited:
Didn't know - or had long forgotten that Basashi.

One of my biggest gripes is that the umpires optionally enforce rules. If it's not enforced, get rid of the rule as it's a joke if it is not enforced -but it leaves open the door to an umpire affecting the results if they have shits with you and choose to enforce it the one time in a decade.

The fine points everyone is debating have only arisen due to incompetent application or deliberate non application of clear, precise, fair, understandable and well written rules.

Highlights reels from the 70s and early 80s have spectacular marking contests with 6 or 8 hands reaching for the ball. the current version would be one player on the edge of the shot leaning over forward with his back to the ball and looking over his shoulder at whoever manhandled him... and one guy taking an easy chest mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he talking about hands in the back in a marking contest? Because his buddy Dusty hasn't been penalised at all this year. He should have. It's becoming the new 'Selwood ducking'. I'm Tony Tardio.

Sent from my keyboard using fingers.

Nice that the photo in the article shows Rance illegally holding his opponent :thumbsu:. I guarantee that wasn't paid a free kick, as that little hold is an accepted part of the game, and just one of the many tiny ways the current interpretation of the rules favours backs.

It's a marking contest, not a wrestling contest.

It is noticeable when you watch some older games - even ones in times where the physicality of the open contest was extreme. In marking contests you tended to see 2 or more players all jump for the ball. Some would try to mark, others might spoil but it is often noticeable in these games that players are leaping for ball rather than wrestling each other...

Now that he is officially a cheat hopefully we never have to listen to the s**t that comes out of his mouth again.

Ok, so he gets shoved and overreacted... it's happened many times by many players, but to label him a cheat on a spur of the moment action after Lloyd admitted doing it for years purposely and you supporting a team that knowingly were illegally doping up at a location away from your training ground...

Buddy, you of all should lie low...

Ok, so he gets shoved and overreacted... it's happened many times by many players, but to label him a cheat on a spur of the moment action after Lloyd admitted doing it for years purposely and you supporting a team that knowingly were illegally doping up at a location away from your training ground...

Buddy, you of all should lie low...
I know a cheat when I see one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back