Play Nice North Melbourne - 2018 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Put my hand up and say you guys are doing much better then I expected, it doesn’t sting being wrong when you see Carlton firmly anchored in last place again and no light at the end of the tunnel in sight:D

The next six weeks will catch up with us, but it's a great start. 26 games into the rebuild (with more culling to come) and just one ten goal loss. Hopefully we get net some gun kids and a few others develop well.

I never thought their list was that bad to begin with, they needed a mini rebuild after it was clear they werent going to win a flag with the top ups, but no way did they need to start over.

Theyve got some very good bookends, some quality hard nutters in the guts and some class on the periphery. Plus, North are the type of team that even if their list was awful, their spirit and culture will always see them being competitive. I feel dirty saying this as North supporters are amongst the worst on bigfooty for bagging richmond, but it is what it is. Think they'll be in the mix fighting for a spot in the 8

A fit Jacobs, Jed Anderson showing something and Hartung have helped. Still very early in the season. Next few weeks will test us out.

Kudos to North, fast out of the blocks and played some very good footy in the first half. Losing Higgins especially took a bit of sting out of them and losing Vickers-Willis hurt their rotations.
The Hawks responded and looked like they had the roos wobbling in the third, but to their credit the roos kept their composure. Hopefully Higgins comes out of it ok.

The Hawks sorely missed Burgoyne, Birchall, Rioli, Puopolo and will need to regroup, too slow to respond initially, but then looked a chance, especially after a scintillating 3rd qtr.
Credit to north to finish the game off.

They aren't a threat, whatever that means.

But they are a case study in rebuilding whilst competing as hard as you can week in week out and for not trading out players.

Waite, Scott Thompson and Goldy might not have long to go in their careers. None have been pushed out. Cunnington and Higgins definitely drive the midfield.

Whilst Hartung, Atley, maybe even Clarke as a deeper defender (looks a solid prospect as a runner), maybe even Marley Williams and Kayne Turner, possibly Majak all strike me as guys who probably have too low a ceiling to play well every week in top 4 contending sides but are offering something right now.

Simpkin and Zurhaar are about it for young ascending players in the side today. Obviously LDU was rested and there's a bunch of guys - EVW, Clarke, Luke McDonald, Anderson still maturing but they've all played a fair chunk of games an done some preseasons.

That flies against the logic of loading up on picks and bringing in a wave of youth with young talls and a spread of youth but it's interesting to watch. The more you win and the older the tradeable guys get you lose potential high draft picks but you keep a stronger culture I guess. Ben Brown reduces the fear factor of not having a gun forward but the pressure will be on to draft or sign some top end midfield class. Maybe North might just land the big fish.

Yep, I'd much rather have access to high draft picks than win games of footy.

Rebuilds are a myth, and the fact that everyone spouts this "five years down the bottom/won't contend for a decade at least/get picks at any cost/trade older players/play only kids" garbage is because most people just fall in line behind the cretinous media hordes that parrot each other in an echo chamber of drivel and shite.

Winning is what sport is about. We are teaching our kids how to do it. A lot of people that can't think for themselves being shown up in this thread.

Their senior and mature players are playing really well which fosters the ideal environment to develop youth.

They’ve definitely surprised me this year and should be stoked. I’m not convinced they will play finals just yet but I don’t think it’s necessarily about that this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But they are a case study in rebuilding whilst competing as hard as you can week in week out and for not trading out players.

Waite, Scott Thompson and Goldy might not have long to go in their careers. None have been pushed out. Cunnington and Higgins definitely drive the midfield.

Whilst Hartung, Atley, maybe even Clarke as a deeper defender (looks a solid prospect as a runner), maybe even Marley Williams and Kayne Turner, possibly Majak all strike me as guys who probably have too low a ceiling to play well every week in top 4 contending sides but are offering something right now.

Simpkin and Zurhaar are about it for young ascending players in the side today. Obviously LDU was rested and there's a bunch of guys - EVW, Clarke, Luke McDonald, Anderson still maturing but they've all played a fair chunk of games an done some preseasons.

That flies against the logic of loading up on picks and bringing in a wave of youth with young talls and a spread of youth but it's interesting to watch. The more you win and the older the tradeable guys get you lose potential high draft picks but you keep a stronger culture I guess. Ben Brown reduces the fear factor of not having a gun forward but the pressure will be on to draft or sign some top end midfield class. Maybe North might just land the big fish.
Yeah. You just don't get North - and probably footy generally.

Considering how we look and what our list can be and what it is now and Brad's finally getting to couch the list he wants to couch.

I can very clearly see a road to 2019/2020 real fair dinkum finals campaign. All it takes is for the right chips to fall into place in the off-season and suddenly we're really dangerous.

a finish of 12th would be great as we get a top 10 pick and taryn thomas who is like a top 3 pick.

Disagree with some of that statement. North have Brown Waite Higgins Cunnington Ziebell Goldstein Tarrant Thompson.

That's a bloody core to build around.

Carlton have Casboult Kreuzer Simpson and Murphy

If North's young blokes come on quick you could be contending for the 8 next year again, where as Carlton I think now need to leave the draft and trade in established talent at the 21-25 age group
People continually overlook the core players North have. It’s an absolute indictment on their football knowledge. You only have to look at what Richmond did last year to realistically say North have a chance and at a minimum, chance of playing finals.

People continually overlook the core players North have. It’s an absolute indictment on their football knowledge. You only have to look at what Richmond did last year to realistically say North have a chance and at a minimum, chance of playing finals.

What's Richmond last year got to do with north this year. Our list profiles are the same by any stretch.
It seems to be quite a sycophantic post.

What's Richmond last year got to do with north this year. Our list profiles are the same by any stretch.
It seems to be quite a sycophantic post.
Why are you taking it so personally? Can’t we compare anyone to Richmond?

I said ‘Look at what Richmond did’. Yes, Richmond played finals and won a flag after finishing 13th the year before.

North were bottom 4 in 2017 but played finals 3 years in a row before that. A similar formline to Richmond.

North will/have go straight past the "rebuilding" sides and be thereabouts sooner rather than later simply because they are expected to perform now not in 2-3-4-5 years.

Except all these guys - minus Clarke who has played about 20 games - have already played in/contributed to top 4 sides. I used to rate you as a poster - this is horseshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back