Tigers MCG Record vs Non MCG Record

Remove this Banner Ad

Big *en deal. As already mentioned, most teams have far better records at home than they do away. This year they've gone to play powerhouse clubs at powerhouse venues. Even eventual premiers or going to be premiers cop hammerings like the hawks in 2013 to Richmond, Hawks in 15 to Port who didn't make the 8 and Richmond again. The Eagles in 92 and 94 { twice to the hawks } copped floggings as they did in 2006 losing twice to Freo ( one was by 60+ the other close } Port who didn't make the 8 and the Pies away.

Our only loss in 2008 before losing to the hawks was a hit and run by Collingwood by about 80 odd points. Early on in 2010 Collingwood themselves were beaten by us and the Saints, Grand Finalists the year before. Yet what happened later on in the return games and finals.

Games here and there. Big whoop. Judge them in September. They'll be amongst it.

Tough. Teams get a home final (when they earn it) to maximise their chances of winning. Not to let opposition fans turn up.

Geelong play like 2 home games at the MCG a year. Its hardly a home ground against Richmond in front of 80,000 Richmond fans.
Home games. They still get like 7-8 H&A games a year at the G.

To think that we have 50 more years of this as well!
I know lol, it's a little deflating but I guess I'm a sucker for punishment and will still support my side in hopes we can defy the odds or just get lucky and face a non mcg tenant if we make a grand final again! It's pretty sad that you need to hope for that, integrity should just be a given but sadly money talks.

Tough. Teams get a home final (when they earn it) to maximise their chances of winning. Not to let opposition fans turn up.

Geelong play like 2 home games at the MCG a year. Its hardly a home ground against Richmond in front of 80,000 Richmond fans.
The actual GF is nearly 50% corporate toffs anyway that do not even have a team they follow with passion and just turn up cause they can.

Member tickets are divided evenly for the 2 competing teams on GF day while everything else is allocated and the general public have little chance of getting in unless they want to pay inflated prices.

The actual GF is nearly 50% corporate toffs anyway that do not even have a team they follow with passion and just turn up cause they can.

Member tickets are divided evenly for the 2 competing teams on GF day while everything else is allocated and the general public have little chance of getting in unless they want to pay inflated prices.

Yeah but we were talking Geelong's "home" final against the Tigers last year.

Most sides don't get granted undeserved home finals at their home ground eg against Geelong.

Why do people still say this? Finishing 1st or second entitles you to a home state final.

Just ask Sydney about their finals at ANZ.

2018 MCG 6-0 Docklands 1-0 Interstate 0-2

2017 MCG 12-2 Docklands 2-2 Interstate 4 -2 Geelong 0-1

Interstate wins against Fremantle, Suns, Lions, and Power.

Very smartly developed a style that wins at the G.
4-2 interstate last year is pretty good.
This year played 2 interstate games against good sides. 0 against s**t sides

Richmond are probably not the best team in the comp (Eagles, Crows, Cats, Swans and Giants are all probably better). But we'll win the flag because apparently all we have to do is turn up on the big day.

Fair dinkum you lot are a bunch of sooks

Why do people still say this? Finishing 1st or second entitles you to a home state final.

Just ask Sydney about their finals at ANZ.

Yeah and that rule is completely stupid and exists solely to legitimise valuing revenue over the integrity of the finals series.

Fact is that the MCG tenants have an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition and that the rest of us will just have to deal with it.

Sounds like Eagles fans are already making excuses for not being able to win at the MCG when it matters and the venue did not worry your GF winning teams of the 90s......

All of a sudden it is an issue now though for some reason and just about every interstate team has won a grand final on the MCG besides Freo and the newer expansion teams.

Got no issues with our form. 0-2 doesnt alarm me at all. This season will drop 4-7 games, they have to be somewhere.

I don't get this attitude.

Drop any more than 4 and you're relying on other results going your way.

Right now it's Richmond 2nd, Melbourne 3rd which makes no practical difference for a QF but Adelaide are 4th and Richmond-Adelaide 2-3 is a lot different to Adelaide-Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the rest of us will just have to deal with it.

Exactly.

It's the rules.

Get over it - it's not changing. We didn't make the rules we just play footy.

Simply because finishing third, and playing the first Final on your home ground, and not the oppositions, is fortunate.

Fortunate yes, unusual? No.

You've played 1 final at kardinia ever, why all the whinging now all of a sudden?

Yeah but we were talking Geelong's "home" final against the Tigers last year.
Here's the wild misconception that occurs on this topic. If the game was in Geelong, the crowd would not have been lopsided. The home team does not get a greater proportion of tickets allocated to them - it's just a free-for-all. 50% of the crowd minimum would have been Richmond supporters.

Im tipping all the players would want the final to be played on the G aswell, the biggest and best ground in Australia. Imagine being someone like Simpson or Jones. You'd wait your whole career to get to the big dance and your team finally makes it. But Gold Coast also make it, get the home game and its in front of 30k at Metricon. Nah. Pretty sure the players want it at the G

Speaking as a supporter of a team who beat the Eagles in Perth last year, my advice to the Tigers is just to stick with it and the results there will come. You guys have some good players like Cotchin, Martin and Riewoldt, and I think you're really starting to put together a team capable of competing in Perth one day. In know it's frustrating for now, but speaking as a Melbourne supporter, I also thought the day would never come that we would win in Perth, but then last year it all just clicked and when Tom McDonald kicked the winning goal with just seconds left it was just the greatest feeling in the world, and I hope you guys get to experience it one day. :)

So my advice is the stick with the system that Hardwick has put in place because, speaking as someone who witnessed his own team overcome the odds to win in Perth last year, I think you guys really have the potential to win in Perth one day soon.

Sounds like Eagles fans are already making excuses for not being able to win at the MCG when it matters and the venue did not worry your GF winning teams of the 90s......

All of a sudden it is an issue now though for some reason and just about every interstate team has won a grand final on the MCG besides Freo and the newer expansion teams.

Apparently all the interstate teams won due to unfair concessions.

Reality is that extremely good teams will win anywhere. Just like how the COLA Swans didn't win the flag every year - despite the massive whinging on big footy.
And the "state team" Eagles didn't win the flag every year.

Fact is that the MCG tenants are unfairly advantaged over the rest of the competition and the the AFL doesn't even try to even this up by increasing the number of games non MCG tenants play at the MCG (eg Hawthorn v West Coast should be at the MCG and not Docklands).

Lets see WC only won the grand final against non MCG tenant teams.

They lost all their gf's against MCG teams

Here's the wild misconception that occurs on this topic. If the game was in Geelong, the crowd would not have been lopsided. The home team does not get a greater proportion of tickets allocated to them - it's just a free-for-all. 50% of the crowd minimum would have been Richmond supporters.

Not 80%.

Not our fault cat fans don't turn up, vacant seats in cat area and not sold out so get over it

Exactly.

It's the rules.

Get over it - it's not changing. We didn't make the rules we just play footy.

Fortunate yes, unusual? No.

You've played 1 final at kardinia ever, why all the whinging now all of a sudden?

I accept it as the rules.

It remains the fact that it is an unfair advantage. So yeah deal with people bringing it up. Discussing whether or not MCG tenants are advantaged by the grand final being hosted at the MCG is an entirely valid discussion.

COLA was also the rules.
West Coast hosting Essendon in a home final in Melbourne was also in the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back