2018 Rolling All Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question would Westhoff be a chance at a bench spot?

He is averaging:

20.5 disposals (9 contested)
4 intercept possessions
5.5 marks (1 contested)
5.5 score involvements
1 goal
3 clearances
9 hitouts
5 tackles
2.5 inside 50’s
2 rebound 50’s
287 meters gained
105 SuperCoach

Pretty much the ultimate utility this year.
Would be nice to think he's a solid chance. Unfortunately the selectors showed their hand 2 seasons ago when a very big name played all over the ground for a season, and didnt even make the squad with this type of season below (Westhoff's current season for comparison)

19 Brownlow Votes
21 Disp........(Westhoff 2018 at 20.5)
11 Mks........ (Westhoff 2018 at 5.5)
41 goals at 2 per game.... (Westhoff 2018, 13 goals at 0.9 per game)

It was about as big as a season gets for a utility fwd, in all history. Westhoff being more a utility ruck might just give him an edge though. Maybe these type of terms are now dead though. They pick a set number of RUCKS,FWDS,BACKS,MIDS and seems a utility slips thru those cracks in between.

I'd like to think he'd at least be considered. Unfortunately based on that recent example it is hard to imagine. Every coach in the game would salivate at the thought of a great utility in form, but it seems the selectors have confirmed you need to have a single designated role to be considered. Its why so many believe they killed off the "utility" as a recognised role in one short sighted and silly oversight two seasons ago.
The bloke would have been one of the first few picked for an actual game based on a season like that, but that is irrelevant for AA. Seems silly but thats the way AA is done...they confirmed once and for all they are not picking a "team" to play a game.
Makes it extremely tough on guys like Westhoff.

Westhoff would at least be in the 40 man squad for mine. However as soon as someone asks "what position ?"...therein lies the issue, which apparently the selectors find difficult to grasp (non subtle message intended).

Westhoff's chances will likely sway more on whether they choose to pick 2 designated rucks this year. Every chance they wont..so that's the part of Westhoffs game that might get him over the line.

Last edited:

At this stage of the season; Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt & Caddy are all in the conversation. I'm not saying they will be in the 22 or even the 40 but you could make a case for each and everyone of them.

If anyone disagreesexplain why...
Instead of just sooking about "bias Richmond supporters"
Vlaustin too

thats the point mate. if only tiges supporters rekn hes good...hes not AA. Every club has up to 5-6 of them.

Ed Curnow from us is vital but we are realistic enough not to keep pushing his name forward despite him having a better year than Martin and Cotch statistically.

Richmond have a solid defence but those saying 3-4 defenders should be tiges need their heads checked.

Curnow might be vital to Carlton, but he's stopping them getting beaten by more. Grimes is a reason Richmond are the premiers. But if nobody in the media talks about him then he gets no plaudits, unlike e.g. James Clement. Grimes is probably content not to be a big name anyway.

Adam Saad is a shoe-in for the squad right now and a fair shake for the team.
Outside possibility for the squad and NO chance for the team

Hurn and Gaff probably still in the mix from us but that's about it. Sheppard has been great but like Grimes, Stratton etc. he doesn't really scream AA. Why would you pick a mid sized defender who gets 15 touches a game when you can pick literally any player in the comp instead? It's the AA side, you could pick Talia and Tarrant in the two key posts then have the luxury of Rance or McGovern as your third tall.

For North I think Brown, Tarrant and Higgins will be in the mix for the squad. With Brown an absolute lock for the team.
I'd have Cunnington in the 40 also. Higgins definitely in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad is having pretty much a similar year to his past 3 at the Suns. Stats bear this fact out. If he wasn't in contention for AA then, he shouldn't be now.
he runs into less trouble, and more often than not runs out of it when most can't.
But i put that down to system and those around him giving him the chance to impact games better

Would be a fair few ahead of him in the squad in the small defender category.

If we're getting anyone in, Bellchambers has been quietly impressive. Even when we were losing games.
But again, Grundy and Gawn are the two favourites here.

Dev Smith perhaps. In a year where pressure footy and tackling is king, he's the league leader at the moment.

Would be nice to think he's a solid chance. Unfortunately the selectors showed their hand 2 seasons ago when a very big name played all over the ground for a season, and didnt even make the squad with this type of season below (Westhoff's current season for comparison)

19 Brownlow Votes
21 Disp........(Westhoff 2018 at 20.5)
11 Mks........ (Westhoff 2018 at 5.5)
41 goals at 2 per game.... (Westhoff 2018, 13 goals at 0.9 per game)

It was about as big as a season gets for a utility fwd, in all history. Westhoff being more a utility ruck might just give him an edge though. Maybe these type of terms are now dead though. They pick a set number of RUCKS,FWDS,BACKS,MIDS and seems a utility slips thru those cracks in between.

I'd like to think he'd at least be considered. Unfortunately based on that recent example it is hard to imagine. Every coach in the game would salivate at the thought of a great utility in form, but it seems the selectors have confirmed you need to have a single designated role to be considered. Its why so many believe they killed off the "utility" as a recognised role in one short sighted and silly oversight two seasons ago.
The bloke would have been one of the first few picked for an actual game based on a season like that, but that is irrelevant for AA. Seems silly but thats the way AA is done...they confirmed once and for all they are not picking a "team" to play a game.
Makes it extremely tough on guys like Westhoff.

Westhoff would at least be in the 40 man squad for mine. However as soon as someone asks "what position ?"...therein lies the issue, which apparently the selectors find difficult to grasp (non subtle message intended).

Westhoff's chances will likely sway more on whether they choose to pick 2 designated rucks this year. Every chance they wont..so that's the part of Westhoffs game that might get him over the line.
Was that Riewoldt?

I'd have Cunnington in the 40 also. Higgins definitely in the 22.
I would too, but he does not compare favourably with some of the other contested beasts in the game. Has the occasional poorer game (by his standards). Besides if he was in the squad, there wouldn't be enough room for the Richmond water-boy.

Ben Brown a lock for the team at this point in time.

Higgins should be in the 22. Arguments as to where exactly within that 22 have merit, but not his status as in the 22.

Why "lol"?

Among players that have played at least 11 out of 14 games so far this year (ergo, on pace for a minimum of 17 across the season), Hawkins is...

- #8 in the league in goals per game (on pace for 45+ goals for the 7th straight season)
- #4 in the league in goal assists per game (career high average)
- #6 in the league for score involvements per game
- #10 in the league in marks per game (career high average, indicating the workrate and mobility is there)
- #4 in the league in contested marks per game
- #3 in the league in marks inside 50
- #11 in the league in tackles inside 50 per game (#1 at Geelong)
- Also averaging a career-high 14.50 disposals per game (also indicating the workrate and mobility is there)

Is as good and effective as ever.

At this stage of the season; Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt & Caddy are all in the conversation. I'm not saying they will be in the 22 or even the 40 but you could make a case for each and everyone of them.

If anyone disagreesexplain why...
Instead of just sooking about "bias Richmond supporters"
If any, i'd dispute Martin. But i wonder if i do so because expectations are so high on him.

Midfield or obligatory midfielder on the HFF spot is a good one for him.
But its generally a hotly contested field and i reckon Higgins may just sew that spot up ahead of him.

I can't Richmond making up 3 of the back 6 either. But you can't knock any of them.

If you were to do a shortlist of each teams players who could get nominated for the 40, i think all of those are right. Throw Nank in too.

Grimes played on Robbie Gray and Grey didn't get a sniff on him. Most of his 16 possessions were from the midfield. I really rate Robbie Grey.... his brother however played a cracker.

I'm fine with Grimes not being AA or even in the squad (I'll be honest, I follow Richmond to see flags, not AA nominations) but he's basically a taller slightly better Jetta IMO. Jetta got beaten badly against the pies, but Grimes is yet to be that badly beaten if beaten at all this season. I've seen Jetta in some teams, why not Grimes? I know he doesn't get a lot of the footy but does an AA team really need the back pocket to get a lot of touches? I'd rather just them pick the best small defender. If it's someone else, fine but don't set some possession standard.

B: Tom Stewart (GEE) - Alex Rance (RICH) - Tom Jonas (PORT)
HB: Shannon Hurn (WCE) - Robbie Tarrant (NME) - James Sicily (HAW)
C: Andrew Gaff (WCE) - Tom Mitchell (HAW) - Jack Macrae (WB)
HF: Shaun Higgins (NME) - Jack Darling (WCE) - Robbie Gray (PORT)
F: Jeremy Cameron (GWS) - Ben Brown (NME) - Josh Caddy (RICH)
R: Max Gawn (MEL) - Nat Fyfe (FRE) - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
I: - Brodie Grundy (COLL) - Trent Cotchin (RICH) - Clayton Oliver (MEL) - Steele Sidebottom (COLL)

Blicavs did little this week, so I had to drop him 6 times. Cameron can have a week in the team before leaving it forever. Buddy looming. Oliver hanging in.

B: Tom Stewart (GEE) - Alex Rance (RICH) - Tom Jonas (PORT)
HB: Shannon Hurn (WCE) - Robbie Tarrant (NME) - James Sicily (HAW)
C: Andrew Gaff (WCE) - Tom Mitchell (HAW) - Steele Sidebottom (COLL)
HF: Shaun Higgins (NME) - Lance Franklin (SYD) - Robbie Gray (PORT)
F: Jack Riewoldt (RICH) - Ben Brown (NME) - Josh Caddy (RICH)
R: Max Gawn (MEL) - Nat Fyfe (FRE) - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
I: - Brodie Grundy (COLL) - Trent Cotchin (RICH) - Nick Vlastuin (RICH) - Elliot Yeo (WCE)

Darling and Cameron are gone. Oliver still getting numbers, lacking influence, so he's out. Macrae unlucky

Heppell, Cunnington, Wines, Oliver, Coniglio and Martin all staying in touch from a midfield perspective. Also, In news that should excite everybody, Joel Selwood is building on his consistently very good season with back to back excellent performances. He's in the conversation and I know how deeply that burns some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back