Richmond's struggle with interstate games

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the silver lining is actually really a bad sign for Richmond. You seem to be making excuses for losing to the good sides. Losing to the good sides and beating the s**t sides is not something to be proud of.

Same thing happened last year. Lost to the Crows, Cats, Giants and Swans. Smashed them in the finals.

Will be interesting if the tigers were to have 2-3 top 10 players out of their side for 5-6 weeks in a row.

Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep had Houli, Prestia and Rioli out for the entire season and we’re first.

Our VFL side is first, they spanked yours.

Let’s not gloss over the fact you’re proud your team is second with a laundry list of injuries, but let’s not forget the injuries havent taken their toll yet because most of those players are duds and Treloar has missed a game against the Gold Coast. Lol. Eagles will smash you today, if they don’t s**t the bed cause they’re at the home of the tigers.

The Dogs, Roos and Saints get the advantage of a home state grand final, but you could argue are the club's with the least chance of actually making the grand final. These clubs host finals away from their home ground, despite not playing at the MCG anymore then interstate sides. I didn't include the other Etihad tenant, Essendon as they play far more MCG games then the Dogs, Roos and Saints. If North happened to finish 6th this year and Melbourne 7th, the final would be played at Melbourne's home ground.

Yeah fair enough. I couldn’t believe you guys only played something like 1 game at the G in 2016.

I see your point. But that's what makes it that much sweeter if you can win one. You have to be a 5 goal better side than your vicco opposition to win the gf by a point imo.. And the alternative of not playing the gf at the G is not something I want to see.

The MCG is perfect for the gf. The playing field, It's massive, teams that tire first get shown up, and tactical coaching faults get shown up, individuals that don't perform get shown up and it holds 100k.

Doesn't mean we can't call out Tigers fans when they say the system is completely fair and equitable.

I don't think the league should be Vic vs everyone else. I know I personally will always cheer for a non-Vic team in the GF (bar WC) because they are always the underdog. It's a national comp and it should start acting like one.

You just said at the "safe place", not the same state, m8. Funny how you suddenly change from M,CG to any stadium in Melbourne.

Do you realize that the biggest factor here is the ground sizes at not the crowd? Did you watch last nights game? Richmond was as loud as GWS supporters, but you think that 'hostile' crowd is why we lost? There would have been more opposition supporters at the Sydney game at Ethihad.
Ill tip you in, we dont play as well on smaller grounds. Its cute that you think crowds is why we dont play as well tho. Lmao, little buddy.
Actually your supporters weren't. They had their moments but they certainly weren't louder.

I don't think the league should be Vic vs everyone else. I know I personally will always cheer for a non-Vic team in the GF (bar WC) because they are always the underdog. It's a national comp and it should start acting like one.

Crows were favourites last year. Not our fault they s**t the bed! In reality we were probably not ready to win last year but we did. We look better this year and have a chance to back it up.

I guess we can close this thread when we beat the Suns in a few weeks. Although i am pretty certain we beat Freo in round 23 last year which was about 300 days ago approx. So the thread heading is wrong anyway.

Or doesnt that count?

Doesn't mean we can't call out Tigers fans when they say the system is completely fair and equitable.

Don't post common sense mate it'll go over too many peoples heads and get rebutted with irrelevant throw away statements.

Yeah, I'm the first to say the competition isn't fair. It doesn't even try and pretend to be. It's still the VFL, we just play in their comp.

But at the same time Richmond smashed us in last yrs gf and well and truly deserved that win. So I don't want to come across as though I don't think Richmond deserved that win because they absolutely did and we absolutely didn't.

And I don't want the gf played anywhere else, unless they make it a best of 3 series where the first match is played at the G to meet contractual obligations and the 2nd match at the higher placed teams home ground and the third match if needed at the 2nd ranked teams ground.

But that ain't happening.

Crows were favourites last year. Not our fault they s**t the bed! In reality we were probably not ready to win last year but we did. We look better this year and have a chance to back it up.

I reckon in hindsight considering a single top 4 team didn't win away last year the Crows definitely shouldn't have been favorites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm the first to say the competition isn't fair. It doesn't even try and pretend to be. It's still the VFL, we just play in their comp.

But at the same time Richmond smashed us in last yrs gf and well and truly deserved that win. So I don't want to come across as though I don't think Richmond deserved that win because they absolutely did and we absolutely didn't.

And I don't want the gf played anywhere else, unless they make it a best of 3 series where the first match is played at the G to meet contractual obligations and the 2nd match at the higher placed teams home ground and the third match if needed at the 2nd ranked teams ground.

But that ain't happening.

I reckon it's pretty fair for Crows fans to have a moan. You didn't show up at all but neither did the Tigers at AO or Optus this year really. Why should not showing up for the GF (which is in essence an away game against top 4 opposition when a MCG tenant is involved) be viewed as any worse than the Tigers not showing up in a couple of away games this year.

So without the VFL, there wouldn’t have been a comp. got it

No. Without the Eagles and Brisbane licence fees there may not have been a VFL / AFL as we know it. Not one with Richmond in it anyway.

Perhaps if they didn't join, the likes of Richmond and Collingwood would have just sent each other broke.

Most of the original and expansion VFL clubs have been financially stuffed at some stage around the time that WCE and Brissie entered the comp, except for maybe Essendon and Carlton, but at that particular time in history, Richmond could have been one of the clubs that were broke at the wrong time.

It wasn’t fair and equitable when Richmond were finishing down the bottom of the ladder when GCS and GWS were being introduced, pushing back our draft picks either. But we overcame.

I think people just care more when you're talking about the fairness of the most important game of the year compared to a bunch of teams no-one really talks about down the bottom.

I totally get your point of view and feel much the same. I tried to take that attitude here too actually but childish responses instead of respectful debate followed which makes it mostly pointless. Would love a neutral venue for GF personally as it's the only genuinely fair way however the AFL could offset by getting serious about fixturing to give adequate exposure to the ground. There's numerous other things they could try to offset the advantage provided since logistically and capacity wise the MCG makes the most sense. (& a long ass contract already signed lol)

The gf is at the G until 2057 anyway, so it's a moot point.

Unless, the afl wanted to get around the deal by making the gf a best of 3 and guaranteeing 1 of the matches would always be at the G regardless of if 2 interstate sides were playing or not.
Sydney have bought this up.

The rumblings from the interstate clubs have started finally.

Was incredibly disappointed tbh when the announcement was made but i think it caught everyone off guard - now that they have seen the fury not just of their own members but members of other clubs they are networking and starting to make some overtures to each other and see what can be done.

I can see the best of three getting up - the afl would be looking at a cash bonanza and as far as fairness goes - one at your home ground one at theirs and one at the g for interstate v interstate - two at home for the higher ranked and one away for interstate/ etihad teams vs mcg tenants would be as fair as you can make it.

Is Etihad our safe place too now?
Can't wait, soon everywhere around the country will be our safe place.
The op was trying to paint a win at etihad vs and interstate team was as good as flying interstate to win or even beating an etihad team at etihad.

Im pointing out that its not

It really doesn't.

They won when they needed to win.

Well recently history would suggest they cannot win away, and if things were fair the Tigers SHOULD of had to win away to win the Premiership. Looks like they only won the flag due to an unfair and undeserved home ground advantage, and on a level playing field they almost certainly would not be premiers. Sounds like an asterix to me.

Sydney have bought this up.

The rumblings from the interstate clubs have started finally.

Was incredibly disappointed tbh when the announcement was made but i think it caught everyone off guard - now that they have seen the fury not just of their own members but members of other clubs they are networking and starting to make some overtures to each other and see what can be done.

I can see the best of three getting up - the afl would be looking at a cash bonanza and as far as fairness goes - one at your home ground one at theirs and one at the g for interstate v interstate - two at home for the higher ranked and one away for interstate/ etihad teams vs mcg tenants would be as fair as you can make it.
Yeah I don't love the idea of a best of 3 but it might be the only way to do so in an equitable way. I think after a few years fans would get used to it anyway and the clubs competing would probably love it as more of their fans get a chance to attend one of the matches rather than get locked out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back