2028 GF to be played interstate?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a new stand will be awesome but I’m failing to understand the justification for it. Probably be $1 billion+
Even if they could extend the lifetime by another 10 years it’d be a good idea to hold off on a full knockdown-rebuild IMHO.

10 years more it will cost 2 Billion+ instead, what are you going to say then, just another 10 years?

2 pubs.

But

When we hosted the Lions tour their were a ton of pop up facilities and they were great fun.

Getting told that we are hosting the GF would invigorate investment and build the place up.

Already has the best transport options in the state, hell most states.
I’ve been to both, the one nearer the Pullman most often. No doubt they could, but it would need a significant improvement. Transport is good I agree.

Look out for the big Vic sook

You’d be hard pressed to validate sooking over the GF being played somewhere else given the fact it’s already happened twice in the last 3 seasons

10 years more it will cost 2 Billion+ instead, what are you going to say then, just another 10 years?
Imagine a new stadium with two stands, North and South. The North Stand is re-built every 35 years and the South Stand every 50 years. After 70 years they are building the North Stand for the third time, while the second South Stand still has 30 years of life in it.

The South Stand gets built for third time after 100 years. Five years later the North Stand is being built for the fourth time.

Stadium stands age in a different way to office buildings and homes. They're much more exposed to the elements and they get thrashed by thousands of people. People's expectations of stadiums are increasing with each generation, so 40 years is very old for a stand.

I wouldn't mind having the granny at Adelaide Oval, but I won't lose any sleep over it. You can make the case that Adelaide is the logical choice because it's smaller than Perth Stadium but likely more accessible for the fans of the two competing clubs, and much larger than anything available in Sydney, Brisbane or Hobart.

I think it would be better for the MCC to cop one year of having the grand final at a different venue rather than the reduced capacity for longer. I reckon the covid-19 years have broken through the psychological barrier to holding the grand final outside Victoria.

Last edited:
Could you chuck some proper stands on the hill at Adelaide Oval and boost seating capacity a bit?

Extend Gather Round one more year in SA to 2027, then in 2028 have SA host the grand final instead, and give Gather Round to Tassie for their first year or something like that. I feel like that would work.

I doubt it ever will in practical terms. Constantly building over ageing facilities in a constrained space will never be as good as a purpose-built stadium in a dedicated precinct. As for who should host it, Perth Stadium holds more and looks fantastic, but I'd be happy with Adelaide given the argument Brisbane and Perth have already held one.
Homebush holds 84k. It is a lock.

And disagree about the MCG. Doing half the stadium every 15 - 20 years means it is never outdated.

Why, its never sold out for freo games or eagles matches even tho the have 100k members. Empty stands look crap.

The capacity at the MCG should be reduced to 80,000, for the same reason since only a handful of games a year exceed that. Would save a bit of cash on the redevelopment with a smaller capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they build the Shane warne stand to 60,000 and it makes the MCG 110,000. The MCC/Ponsford stand looks around 8 rows taller, so theres room to work with

Built in the early 90s, is a bit tired these days.

From memory, the first one third of it was opened up for a one day international against Pakistan. I joined the Navy in 1992 so it would have been during the '91 / '92 season.

I was living and playing cricket in Geelong at the time with North Shore, quite a few blokes from the club were union members working on the construction of the stand, with at least one of them being a shop steward. To commemorate the occasion, they held a big bbq outside the ground, multiple bbqs set up and pallets of slabs of cans. A coaster bus load of us travelled up for the game.

When the match was about to start, the workers were allowed free entry into the 2/3s that wasn't open to the general public, we got in as workers and were also allowed to carry leftover slabs from the pallets in with us.

Mexican waves going around the ground with plastic beer cups going up in the air,. When it got to us, it was a sea of empty green cans going up.

From memory the capacity is 48,000.

Play the 2028 GF in Sydney and give Gather Round to Tasmania once the contract with South Australia ends. Then each state has hosted a major event and the league feels more national.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back