Toast Best GF ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day the history books will show the pies won the flag in 2023.

But deep down you won’t be satisfied or content because you know you didn’t deserve it. A big fat asterisk for those of us who look a little deeper.

And that makes me happy.

Enjoy your night.
I'm glad you're happy

Collingwood losing grand finals is all the joy in football you'll ever have while supporting your club. You didn't get that this year, but.

There's still room on the Pies bandwagon next year if you want to sign up. Happy to have you on board!

I went to 1989, all over at qtr time.
Agree, most overrated GF of all time. Yeah there were a couple of massive hits but there were many more in the 2002 GF. I’d go as far as saying that the 2002 GF might be the most underrated and the greatest. The whole game was carnage, the tackle count was one of Collingwood’s highest ever at the time. The margin never got to double digits.
The big players all stood up on the big stage. Possibly Rocca’s best ever game.

Margin today ironically never for higher than 13, making it the most evenly contested match since the 2002 GF. My adrenaline levels are still slightly elevated so it is too hard for me to put aside bias and objectively rank this GF. A bit more time will need to pass

Hugely tense GF (am biased, but 'neutrals' seemed pretty enthralled as well).
But 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010 draw, 2018, and going back further 1984, 1979, 1977 etc. pretty stiff competition for starters, and I'll be forgetting other worthy mentions.
It blew out late, but in terms of quality, the first three quarters of 2011 were amongst the best you'd see.
I can't include 2002 because Pebbles was robbed... right in front of me (figuratively)

I thought the finals series was quite poor, too defensive, low scoring. Thought the first half of this one was excellent, but went back to that terrible defensive game style.
The standards pretty low these days. 2017 was a shocker.

Full credit to the Tiges, too good...but literally the only close game was a draw involving your boys. The rest were thumpings.

Felt like it deserved a better ending.

Better side probably won, but when Daniher kicked that one it felt like we heading for something great regardless of who won.

They didn't even have to kick a goal, just take the 'advantage' free kick, get a clean inside 50 and watch the carnage that follows.

Game being killed by dodgy high tackle left a sour taste in the mouth for mine. The Pies/GWS final seconds felt more like the GF.

Lol, tell that to Hipwood and Rayner who stunk it up something shocking. People always look for the easy excuse rather than those who choked.

Pies kick straight it was over at 3/4 time.

That is just life, someone wins, someone loses.
Stating the bleeding obvious will not detract from the fact that with a minute and twenty seconds to go, the Umpire made an atrocious call that will be long remembered more than anything else from this game. It was a close game for sure and Collingwood probably deserved to win, but it's a game that was chock full of errors, poor kicking, and bad umpiring. Footy fans have the attention span of a gnat and the only people who will remember this game are Pies fans. They don't care about poor kicking or bad umpiring unless it's the 2018 Grand Final!

It was a great Game 8.5/10
But will only be remembered for its back and forth closeness.
Nothing really special happened in the game that we will be speaking about in years to come, Eg Jesaulenko you beauty or Leo Barry you star! It was still a fitting end to a great year though.

I know it was the first quarter, but Zac Bailey's goals in the first quarter become GF folklore if the Lions get up. That second one in particular was one of the all time great GF goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day the history books will show the pies won the flag in 2023.

But deep down you won’t be satisfied or content because you know you didn’t deserve it. A big fat asterisk for those of us who look a little deeper.

And that makes me happy.

Enjoy your night.
Did somebody say brown paper bags?

falling across the line and topped off with dubious umpiring at the pointy end. it was very unconvincing result
Could easily be talking about the 2018 GF here.
In both instances the better team and the one with the most scoring shots one.
We get laughed at when the controversy goes against us and bagged when it goes for us.
Guess what?
Eagles are the 2018 Premiers - can’t be changed.
Collingwood are the 2023 Premiers 🙂 can’t be changed either.

As a neutral at the MCG yesterday, it was an entertaining game because it was close. Not sure it ranks up there with the greatest though.
I think Kiss being a bit awesome, lovely weather etc made it a great day. Topped by a cracking game. Fun all round unless you barrack for Brissie but they had the wood over the Pies in 2002/3 so the Pies were due. The rivalry made it all the more entertaining

It was a great game, one of the best Grand Finals ever, and I'd be saying that even if the Lions had won. It was one of the games where you felt bad that somebody had to lose, both teams played so well and were equally deserving. KISS were really good pre-game entertainment too.

Plenty of other calls could be questioned.
Markov’s 50m penalty was pretty tough.
McLuggage maybe OoB when setting up a goal at the end.
Head highs for both sides were missed.
Still thought umps did a good job and let the game flow for the most part.
Very fair. But massive bad calls in the last 90 seconds tend to have extra impact.

Overall the one thing I hope the umpires learn is that you can't just get sucked in by the dropping at the knees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back