2028 GF to be played interstate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only should it be played interstate, it should regularly be played out of Victoria. Perth and Adelaide absolutely deserve to be hosting the GF. The fact it’s locked into the MCG for decades just shows how Victorian Centric the sport is. Every other state should pool together funds to break that contract and host it. Let’s face it, it’s all about corporates anyway.

The capacity at the MCG should be reduced to 80,000, for the same reason since only a handful of games a year exceed that. Would save a bit of cash on the redevelopment with a smaller capacity.
MCG will be sold out a dozen or more times this season. It doesn’t get to 100k due to MCC and AFL members not turning up. So if you made it 80k, then a sellout might be 68k. The answer is more public seating.

Due to unprecedented circumstances, whereby if they hadn’t occurred we would never have had the GF moved.

Ridiculous statement.

Given it’s already happened, regardless of the circumstances, people need to get over whinging/complaining about the possibility of having it played again interstate again. It’s supposed to be a National game, if there’s two interstate teams, for example, why not play it away from the G.

Lockdown was probably the best thing to happen for the grand final to be moved away from the G. It worked in Perth, it worked in Brisbane

Not only should it be played interstate, it should regularly be played out of Victoria. Perth and Adelaide absolutely deserve to be hosting the GF. The fact it’s locked into the MCG for decades just shows how Victorian Centric the sport is. Every other state should pool together funds to break that contract and host it. Let’s face it, it’s all about corporates anyway.
Yep. Fair enough every second year in Melbourne, 50% of the teams and players are Vic based; but every second year, it should be shared around Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney. Sydney might need a new stadium as Accor is probably too s**t to host a GF. Also, Brisbane should probably wait until they have their new Olympic stadium.

From 2032 onwards, I'd change it, sadly can't see the VFL changing it until 2060 and even then it probably won't.

Yep. Fair enough every second year in Melbourne, 50% of the teams and players are Vic based; but every second year, it should be shared around Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney. Sydney might need a new stadium as Accor is probably too s**t to host a GF. Also, Brisbane should probably wait until they have their new Olympic stadium.

From 2032 onwards, I'd change it, sadly can't see the VFL changing it until 2060 and even then it probably won't.
I think all supporters outside of Victoria would be happy with an arrangement that saw every second GF played at the MCG and then the odd year GFs rotate around the country. It would continue to honour the tradition of the MCG being the "home" of football while also rewarding the rest of the country with their opportunity to host a GF. It could look like this:

2023 - MCG (100k)
2024 - Accor Stadium (82k)
2025 - MCG (100k)
2026 - Adelaide Oval (53k)
2027 - MCG (100k)
2028 - Optus Stadium (60k or 70k)
2029 - MCG (100k)
2030 - Gabba (50k - new Olympic stadium)
2031 - MCG (100k)

The NRL are about to copy the NFL's model where state governments will be required to bid for their opportunity to host the GF every year and I think that might pressure the AFL to start thinking more nationally when it comes to the GF. The NFL uses it as a bargaining chip to secure new stadium builds/upgrades and we essentially just saw the AFL do that with the new Tasmanian stadium and the reward was their own team.

I think all supporters outside of Victoria would be happy with an arrangement that saw every second GF played at the MCG and then the odd year GFs rotate around the country. It would continue to honour the tradition of the MCG being the "home" of football while also rewarding the rest of the country with their opportunity to host a GF. It could look like this:

2023 - MCG (100k)
2025 - MCG (100k)
2027 - MCG (100k)
2029 - MCG (100k)
2031 - MCG (100k)

The NRL are about to copy the NFL's model where state governments will be required to bid for their opportunity to host the GF every year and I think that might pressure the AFL to start thinking more nationally when it comes to the GF. The NFL uses it as a bargaining chip to secure new stadium builds/upgrades and we essentially just saw the AFL do that with the new Tasmanian stadium and the reward was their own team.
Looks good to me although I don't believe the Olympic stadium is available until 2032.

Just start your list from 2025 instead of 2023 and it would hit 2032 for the new Brissy stadium. Sydney could have a new one built before 2034 if they wanted to host their second GF (with their first being at Accor as you suggested).

Given it’s already happened, regardless of the circumstances, people need to get over whinging/complaining about the possibility of having it played again interstate again. It’s supposed to be a National game, if there’s two interstate teams, for example, why not play it away from the G.

Lockdown was probably the best thing to happen for the grand final to be moved away from the G. It worked in Perth, it worked in Brisbane
I think we are on the same page. I am absolutely advocating for a non MCG GF so I reckon we are in agreement.

You’d have to pay to break the contract most likely.

Really important that Brisbane salute this year.

100% agree with this and have been saying as much since the Gabba GF. Once the Gabba is redeveloped to seat 50k it should be eligible along with the other big grounds. Start with Adelaide, then Sydney, Perth then Brisbane.

Based on the discussion after Gather Round, if it happens you can bet AFL media will be bleating about a home ground advantage that year. As opposed to the “neutral” venue that is the MCG 🙄
If you are good enough you will win anywhere...this whole MCG home ground advnatage is boring.
If there was a home ground advantage, by your reconning then Melb, Rich, Coll, Haw would have won all the past 150 premierships!

MCG will be sold out a dozen or more times this season. It doesn’t get to 100k due to MCC and AFL members not turning up. So if you made it 80k, then a sellout might be 68k. The answer is more public seating.

Yep, so reduce the MCC and AFL members section by 5,000 each, but also reduce the public seating by 10,000. And then get clubs to introduce re-sale programs for members who can’t attend.

That way money is saved on construction, on maintenance, and crowds will still be near as big except for on ANZAC Day and at the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 - MCG (100k)
2025 - MCG (100k)
2027 - MCG (100k)
2029 - MCG (100k)
2031 - MCG (100k)

It won’t pressure the AFL, they have another 40 years of it being held at the G.

It is absolutely used as a bargaining chip by the AFL to get what they want out of the Vic government. Just because it doesn’t get to tender doesn’t mean there isn’t some fairly intense negotiating.

This rebuild is part of it.

Yep, so reduce the MCC and AFL members section by 5,000 each, but also reduce the public seating by 10,000. And then get clubs to introduce re-sale programs for members who can’t attend.

That way money is saved on construction, on maintenance, and crowds will still be near as big except for on ANZAC Day and at the GF.

I know that you are not serious, but still… The Warne seats 45k plus some standing room. Rebuilding it at 27k would look a little odd next to the rest of the stadium. Plus you cannot reduce the MCC - they are paying for half of this.

If you are good enough you will win anywhere...this whole MCG home ground advnatage is boring.
If there was a home ground advantage, by your reconning then Melb, Rich, Coll, Haw would have won all the past 150 premierships!
That’s right, if you are good enough you will win anywhere. So that means Collingwood and other MCG tenants will be able to win outside of the MCG.

That really is a baseless argument that simply deflects from the matter. The almighty double standard and sook from big clubs in Victoria would be enormous if they had to play a GF away against WC in Perth, Brisbane at the GABBA or Adelaide in Adelaide.

Your argument is biased and self serving, of course you’d take that stance.

Last edited:
I know that you are not serious, but still… The Warne seats 45k plus some standing room. Rebuilding it at 27k would look a little odd next to the rest of the stadium. Plus you cannot reduce the MCC - they are paying for half of this.

Your right. I’m not entirely serious.

However, you could stage the capacity decrease.

So as part of the great southern stand redevelopment reduce the capacity by 8,000 and only reduce the AFL members seats.

And then 20years later when the great northern stand needs to be redeveloped, drop the capacity by 12,000 and drop the MCC members seats.

Although, that far into the future, even the minor clubs might be able to sell out 100,000 on the regular.

Is there any other sport in the world that the highest ranked team in the grandfinal doesnt get home ground advantage? or in cases of series games a majority advantage?
A few; many Cup competitions in Europe, the NFL, most tournaments can (e.g. FIFA World Cup might be hosted by a side that finished second in their group, and qualified lower than opponents in the final). But others don't have full seasons where the lower ranked side heading into decider(s) get a home advantage.

Use it as an excuse to rip up the contract, and ensure the GF is always neutral.
Vic club v Vic club, MCG
nonVic club v nonVic club, MCG
Vic club v WA club, Adelaide or Sydney
Vic club v NSW/Qld/SA/Tas club, Perth
That still leaves the MCG as the preferred venue, but removes the inherent advantages of a pre-determined venue.
The non-MCG GFs could be shuffled around as venue capacities keep changing. Basically, use highest capacity neutral venue.

Hahaha yeah right. Home ground advantage exists for the rest of the season but magically disappears for one day every year?

Please not Adelaide we already have to deal with Gather Round there in the Retirement Village.
It's got to be a city with a pulse and options other that country drives to taste wine and look at churches and trees.

Please not Adelaide we already have to deal with Gather Round there in the Retirement Village.
It's got to be a city with a pulse and options other that country drives to taste wine and look at churches and trees.
I think you want it in Sydney? not far from Oxford street so you can meet you mates for a "coffee"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back